Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7034&start_row=11

Fighting Against the Babylon System versus Violence

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 26
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Jahcub Onelove Sent: 1/12/2019 6:42:52 PM

One can never seperate the teachings of Haile Selassie from those of Iyesus Kristos. Many of His Majesty's teachings speak of Iyesus Kristos, one would have to disregard many of Haile Selassies teachings to do so. So much of what His Majesty teaches and the example that HIM gave was inspired by Iyesus Kristos. To deny one is to deny the other, they are one.

Iyesus Kristos taught to turn the other cheek, however we humans only have two cheeks. Iyesus Kristos also had His disciples carry swords. Would a pacifist have his followers carry swords? Would a pacifist take a whip and use it to remove the corrupted priests from the temple? Will it be a pacifist that slays the wicked? Iyesus Kristos is not a pacifist.

Both Haile Selassie and Iyesus Kristos are for peace, love and the Inity of humanity. They will fight if they must, but they do it as a last resort, only when it is truly necessary. That is the teachings and example that they both gave.

Jah Love and Guidance

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/12/2019 8:50:35 PM

Noted Nesta. I See the difference in what you said about being further along the trod. Give thanks

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/12/2019 9:17:20 PM

Jahcub exactly - i dont deal with Jesus story at all but i agree with your sentiment that as a last resort in certian circumstances such as defending ones family or defending His Majesty and Ethiopia or revolutionary war from colonisers etc.... violence is a requirement. This is the just war theory. That does not mean we are blood thirsty or a violent people. Everybody knows RASTA are a peaceful people.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/12/2019 9:20:09 PM

If Nesta had said we must try and use the power of LOVE instead of war whenever possible. I would agree completely and have no problem.

But to suggest there are never any circumstances in which violence is both necessary and righteous is a misguided concept not in accordance with the example of His Majesty. And as said, quite offensive to I as part of the MAAFA tribe. I ancestors went through some 400 years of slavery and colonisation racism white supremacy before we as a people began to collectively organise and eliminate slavemaster from the face of the earth. Such as in Haiti. These were RIGHTEOUS acts. Maybe slavemaster was a good man who was only "duped" by Satan's tricks. But I do not care. Those who died in the name of equal rights and justice deserved to die. Halle Selassie said we Africans will FIGHT and In the context of the speech he clearly meant fight as in physically fight pleasee do not take his majesty words out if context and tell me about a spiritual fight. In that speech he was talking about war. And he was speaking directly to Africans. With a respect, that speech was not for non Africans. As such, non Africans have no place commenting on how to interpret that speech

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 1/13/2019 7:49:14 AM

i think it's incorrect to assert that the Teachings of His Majesty (or any particular one of them) are reserved only to a restricted audience comprised of a specific, earthly classification of people (based upon geography). But more importantly, once again we see the consequences of a secular interpretation of His Majesty's personage & history in vacuum minus the spiritual underpinning so of His Morality and His Divinity. "Fight" and "Africans" take on completely different dimensions in the context of His Majesty's I-dentity as JAH RastafarI, King of Kings, Lord of Lords and Conquering Lion of the tribe of Judah -- the One who dwelleth within us with the Oneness of Imanity.

But like i said: "If the need comes for self-defense then so be it, but why vision & obsess over it while pushing aside and scoffing at H.I.M. and His Love which actually do protect every one of us each and every day?"

A spontaneous act of self defense when backed into a corner with no opportunity to evade, strategize or avoid engagement is a far cry from a premeditated and/or impassioned slaughter in the name of "justice".

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/13/2019 10:55:56 AM

The speech was addressed to Africans in which he started a sentence proclaiming WE AFRICANS. It gets no more obvious to whom he was speaking.

I am glad to see you no longer fight blind logic and accept the idea of self defence. Also, the brethren who gathered money sat on a plane and travelled to Ithiopia with the intention to fight the invading Italians were indeed "premeditated" to the fullness of the definition. I hope the I realise that

Why obsess? Because the concept of Ethiopia being UNCONQUERED in battle against it's enemies and invaders is of such crucial Significance to I, I ancestors and the very creation of this trod it CANNOT be overlooked or understated. I Majesty in full sovereignity. As previously said, there is no Rastafari as we know today without Ethiopianism. And these facts are vital to the paradigm of such. One cannot separate the history of this trod from the ideology. Before any Rastafari looked for Haile Selassie in the Bible for validation Rastafari done already proclaim Rastafari as InI king. That's why InI looked for validation in the only history book InI had at the time fresh from plantation: the Bible. InI would have not looked to SEEK validation in the Bible if InI hadn't already sighted HIM as I redeemer. Chronology is of high importance or people get mish mashed mix up in Bob Marley quotes and Rasta stereotypicalness without the WHY

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 1/13/2019 11:33:39 AM

Not to be unnecessarily argumentative (which is counterproductive), but since it appears that we're pursuing this topic of the secular, and not the Divine, Haile Selassie and His history (i.e., setting aside His Majesty's Own self-professed spirituality and moral values for now), we should be historically accurate in our secular context. The audience to which H.I.M. addressed the iconic Oct. 4, 1963 speech to which you refer (i.e., "We Africans will fight, if necessary, and we know that we shall win, as we are confident in the victory of good over evil ") was the members of the United Nations General Assembly in New York. In both the symbolic and very literal senses, it's clear that He was addressing His remarks to the people of the world, not solely to persons of African heritage based upon the geography of their birth and/or residence.

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 1/13/2019 1:28:50 PM

The invasion of Ethiopia by Italian fascists was 80+ years ago and how the Ethiopians responded is a matter of historical record for anyone to study.

With regard to the world today: If we’re talking about post-WWII and the world we live in, then the greatest fascist (or corporatist/neo-fascist, if you prefer) imperial/interventionist power on earth is now the USA. As for our homeland of Ethiopia, the modern-day fascist empire of the USA has it hooks in its politics in the form of a compliant puppet PM, Abiy Ahmed, as well as its invading military boots on the ground in places like AFRICOM’s US Naval Base, Camp Lemonnier. Both represent the tentacles of the Babylon System invading and defiling our homeland for Babylon’s evil purposes.

At this juncture in history, I&i could not emphasize more strongly the utterly foolhardy nature of picking up arms to fight the Babylon System in Ethiopia. The capabilities and reach of the US imperial military juggernaut are not comparable to those of the Italian invaders of the 1930s. Conventional weapons will not expel America the Babylon’s military invaders from Ethiopia nor topple its political puppets. As a matter of fact, America the Babylon would just love for some group of brave Ethiopian resistance fighters to give that a shot so it could impose a reign of terror on the Ethiopian populace and put down the rebellion in the typical overkill fashion that it employs so expertly during its foreign-policy-justified demonic blood sacrifices.

The RastafarI who wishes to do battle against the Babylon System forces which now occupy our homeland need to be smart and use the only weapon we possess which can defeat Babylon; the weapon provided to us by His Majesty against which the mighty armies of America the Babylon and its vassals have no defense. You know what that that weapon is so I&I won’t bother repeating myself here.
Oh, and if you regard invoking such Power of Almighty JAH against the armies of America the Babylon as folly or fruitless, just fancy the futility of coming to Ethiopia packing your gun to fight them. You might get to be a martyr, but since America the Beast revels in ruthless collective punishment (e.g, FalluJAH) it will see to it that thousands of innocent Ethiopian men, women and children also suffer and/or die for your hubris.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/13/2019 2:42:25 PM

Everything I have been reasoning is the divine to InI in the name of black supremacy. A concept I don't think you overstand. Divinity and Kingship has been intertwined for millenia within I cultural trod still present today. In fact anything to do with I has a divine side ti the matter if we are attesting to God in man. There is no separation.

My point regarding who His Majesty is talking to stands. You realise it is one of the most famous if not most famous speech of His Majesty. My point is not who the speech was made in front of but the context of the sentence beginning with "WE Africans" and not escaping the matter was one of the effects of colonialism and racism. Something somewhat relevant to the African people in which he addressed. Haile Selassie said Until that day we Africans will FIGHT without any apology that day has not come. Fight we will fight in the fullness of the word. Spiritual fight. Physical fight. Internal fight. External fight.

Having said all of that, your suggestions for whether African people's should physically engage in battle against our oppressors in this modern era are appreciated. But that decision if necessary will be made by Africans. As long as slavery still exists as long as inequality still exists as long as inappropeiate foreign occupation in Africa still exists we will not count out the option of physical engagement according to the will and example of His Majesty. I people have faced bigger opponents and overcome. We are not inherently afraid of death for we are confident in the victory of good over evil. This is not a Rastafari vs Babylon argument. This is a We Africans argument. Once again highlighting the importance of knowing who we are addressing. "We Africans will figbt" not We Rastafari of all color and creed will fight

Give thanks. Maybe we should end it here as we are at loggerheads. Yet the main point has been conceded- there are rare occasions in which physical acts if violence are necessary

Selassie I

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/13/2019 3:26:20 PM

Nesta

I think we both come to this trod from very different perspectives and purposes. We sight the divine from very different angles.
Also, Rastafari for I is a trod focused on black ipremacy ie black African upliftment and leadership, and the black internal reparation effort. Something I do not expect to share with you and while many none Africans do So including on this forum, may be difficult to overstand for the majority of non Africans. Which is fine

It should be noted that I have AGREED with the majority of your original sentiment. Where possible, avoiding violence and physical war is preferable. And we as a people come to spread Love and the power of LOVE is a dangerous weapon yielded against Babylon who want people confused and at conflict with each other rather than organised.

Similarly, you Agree with I point that in certain desperate circumstances the act of physical violence may be a requirement

Our only disagreement at this point is where the line stands for this "last resort"

While you should feel free to give any final thoughts I hope you accept my invitation to leave it there for now as to focus on the small (if significant) disagreement we have left may be too tiring. And the differences on how to respond to His Majesty speech and who he was addressing are kind of irrelevant to the main points being reasoned as of now.

I TIAD RASTA

SELASSIE I

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 26

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I