Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7032&start_row=21

Rastafari in Addis Ababa

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 25
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/11/2019 5:55:33 PM

Begging is a common thing in poor countries and often isn't seen as culturally wrong or offensive.

Also, if ones offer their wisdom experiences knowledge etc then whose to say these "works" shouldn't be compensated as per any other service if required.... opens a bigger debate

Messenger: NewRas Sent: 1/11/2019 6:52:37 PM

Garvey, if one offers wisdom, experience, and/or knowledge, I have no problem with compensation, absolutely 0 issue with it. This, I still considered a service for they are providing I with something I did not have before. But that wasn't the case in my experience. As I believe I stated earlier (if not I would like to clarify) it was a group there who were just there to aggressively insist I pay them. The one who showed me around and explained the theology of the 12 Tribes I believe deserved compensation. The one who was selling hand made accessories I believe deserved compensation. The man selling herb I believe deserved compensation if I were to have bought herb. But there were others who were aggressively insisting I just hand over funds because "we're homies" or because they "do security" there.

One must understand I gave up a lot to come to Africa and realistically hardly have enough to sustain myself here for any extended period of time, so I must be conscious of what I have to be able to see more of this wonderful country and continent. I don't believe in short changing people because that is effectively theft. But I can't justify just handing over money for absolutely nothing when I have so little. If I give to beggars, they are the elderly or homeless and hungry with child. People truly in need of survival. But people who are of my age and clearly healthy and of clear mind I can not justify. Maybe I am wrong for this but that is how I view it. I don't consider solely being present "works" worthy of compensation.

Love

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 1/12/2019 7:54:09 AM

NewRas,
It's complicated if you are trodding through a poverty-plagued part of Africa or the poorer part of Asian in which I&i dwell. There's so much genuine need everywhere around you.
You come from a land of abstract wealth (built up in great part from theft & the looting of others all around the globe) so you tend to have a natural inclination toward sympathy for people who have so little, and (if you're like me at all) you may feel a little guilty for coming from such a materially abundant lifestyle. Nevertheless, you simply can't afford to give freely to everyone on the street lest you shortly find yourself on that same street with your own hand out. Sharing and being generous are absolutely righteous and are exhorted of us by His Majesty. But you must let your heart be your guide, as it often comprehends and judges these matters far better than the mind does.

JAH BE WITH YOU. BROTHER

Messenger: NewRas Sent: 1/12/2019 8:16:33 AM

I concur with a this sentiment Nesta. The facts are I come from one of the states with the lowest wages and the lowest cost of living. I literally cannot afford to move around and travel the US the way I can Africa simply because the value of the American dollar goes further here than it ever would in the US. But my trip is getting to a point where I have to find a way of working to live or stay in Africa longer or return to the US so it is imperative at this moment to be very frugal and conscious of what I do and spend here and plan my next moves wisely. I feel people assume I come from wealth and have disposable income which is far from the truth. I took everything I had and quit my mediocre job to come home to Africa, at least for a while. Maybe that was ignorant of me but this experience means that much to me. I have no home of my own, no wife, no children, so this is the most opportune point in my life for this trod.

Even if I did have the wealth to just pick up and settle here I would much rather use it to build a business and create jobs for people here to make their own living. I don't see anything wrong with donating to the poor and have nots. As you said it is a generous and righteous action, but it's not a sustainable solution to relieving the impoverished. You hand money to someone, they buy food or whatever they need, then it's right back to square one. I believe it's better to break that cycle by creating and funding businesses that can employ and sustain the people versus a small hand out that can't go any further than someone's appetite. Maybe it's just youthful ignorance but that is how I see the situation at this time.

Love

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 1/12/2019 8:54:55 AM

No, not ignorance, NewRas, there is wisdom in it:

“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime.” - Lao Tzu, Chinese founder of Taoism, 4th century BC

However, we must never fail to heed the exhortation:

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again." - Matthew 7:1-2

Almost without exception, people suffer from encumbrances which are invisible and of which we are not aware. As RastafarI, we must demonstrate compassion while letting our hearts and our faith in H.I.M. be our guide.

I&i learned many years ago from a very wise woman what it is to act like a fool by making judgments hastily based solely upon appearances regarding a person's capacity to work and provide for himself or herself.

You're correct: A hand out is a very small, transient gesture. We must invest of ourselves in helping others if we intend to really make a lasting difference.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 25

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I