Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6991&start_row=11

China in the Heart of Africa

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 23
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 3/21/2019 6:31:57 PM

That's sounds unfortunate, cy6erlion. That's not the picture of mutually beneficial development we're hoping to see, especially from investment in infrastructure improvement. Do you think this is a transitional phase that will improve to more balanced once Namibians gain access to more investment capital?

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 3/21/2019 9:58:12 PM

cy6erlion, Below is an interesting article run yesterday in the government-owned New Era LIVE. For all I know it may just be mostly propaganda. I'm a believer that having modern infrastructure in place will provide economic growth and living standards improvement opportunities for Namibians, but without access to investment capital and government support for domestic entrepreneurs the situation is likely to continue as you describe. I have no idea what the level of government corruption is in Namibia.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHINA IS OUR FRIEND - KAIYAMO

2019-03-20
Elvis Muraranganda

BEIJING - Namibian Ambassador to the People’s Republic of China Dr Elia Kaiyamo says the Asian nation is Namibia’s friend but “bad Chinese” should be dealt with under Namibian laws.

Kaiyamo, in a wide-ranging interview, stressed that China is the only nation that truly considers Namibia to be a friend and that the “rotten apples” in Namibia who are in bed with Namibians should face appropriate punishment.
His remarks come hot on the heels of a demonstration against the awarding of multi-billion-dollar infrastructure development tenders to Chinese businesses at the expense of Namibians.

The demonstration was organised by the Metal and Allied Workers’ Union (Manwu), and the National Union of Namibian Workers (NUNW) as well as the Affirmative Repositioning movement.

Over the years, the relationship between the Namibian government and Chinese business people has drawn massive criticism from various sectors of the Namibian society who questioned the awarding of certain contracts.
However, speaking from Beijing, Kaiyamo maintained that there is a need for improved Namibia-China relations which,

according to him, are already in good standing.
“We need to harmonise our differences. China is our friend, no joke about that. We must not be discouraged by some of these rotten Chinese apples we find in Namibia. These are just individuals. It is not the Chinese government,” Kaiyamo explained.

“The Chinese government wants peace, stability and cooperation in a win-win situation. These Chinese in Namibia who are in bed with Namibian citizens to do bad things are neither supported by Namibian or Chinese governments.” According to Kaiyamo, this must be the basis on which Namibians and Chinese people interact with each other and should further shape the attitudes between the citizens of both nations.
“If there are challenges in our interaction, we can discuss them. China is our friend and China is the only country that considers Namibia as a friend. For your information, whether you like it or not, the biggest investment that China has in Africa is in Namibia,” Kaiyamo said.
Kaiyamo added that Namibia must continue its bilateral cooperation with China on a win-win basis, which he says is what China stands for.

“Let us apply our laws in Namibia. The Chinese apply their laws here. Let us apply our laws there. Why are we relaxing our laws against some of these unwanted elements?”

However, he warned that Namibians should guard against promoting and encouraging anti-Chinese attitudes. “If there are corrupt Chinese, let them be dealt with under our laws. Use our laws to put them in their place but we must respect each other and let us do things in good faith,” Kaiyamo maintained.

He added that this practice has led to some Namibians including government officials as well departments, bypassing his Beijing office to engage in business activities in China.

“If you want to do business in China, why don’t you want the ambassador to know? What are you hiding? Why do you want to bypass the ambassador sent here by the President?”

“I am here to serve the Namibian people not my own interest. They do things like that and when there are problems they come to me. It is better to support the President’s call of pulling in the same direction,” said Kaiyamo.
On further China-Namibia engagement, the diplomat noted that China wants to deal with the world on a win-win basis for a shared future. “The one belt, one road initiative (BRI) is a good thing and Namibia is part of it. This is when the world is cooperating, connecting to each other in terms of connection in the global village,” Kaiyamo explained.

“It will also give us an opportunity as Namibians to learn from them. The Chinese Premier Li Keqiang informed us that red-tape communication in government must be guided so that the people are served,” the diplomat maintained. Kaiyamo said this is one lesson Namibia can draw by participating in the BRI.

“In Namibia, we must find ways of putting some of our resources in developing our infrastructure. The harbour is done and now we must concentrate on the railway. In the next 10 years we must have a speed train moving between our towns and city,” Kaiyamo remarked enthusiastically.

In a speech delivered at the Fourth Dr Theo-Ben Gurirab Lecture Series recently, Chinese Chargé d’Affaires in Namibia Yang Jun highlighted that China has pumped a total of N$2.8 billion funds in grants and concessional loans over 20 China-aided projects in Namibia since 2015. He added that Chinese companies in Namibia have created 11 000 jobs so far among other success stories.

“China and Namibia boast a solid traditional friendship. We stood side by side in struggles against imperialism and colonialism, and supported each other in nation building,” said Yang.

Messenger: CarterBlunt Sent: 3/21/2019 11:36:34 PM

Imagine a society twice as sociopathic and materialistic as the USA, and you have China.

Messenger: cy6erlion Sent: 3/22/2019 12:25:05 AM

Nesta I overstand what the I says about Infrastructure development, Namibia is quite developed in that sense compared to other African countries but there is allot of room for improvement and I and other Namibians will gladly accept assistance in that regard. But the reality is that is not whats happening the Chinese did invest in infrastructure (they build a school, donated funds for renovations of some government buildings, awarded busaries for students to go study in china etc) but that is just a façade of what is really happening.

The real wealth of a country lies in its people and natural resources, china is trying to own the natural resources. Allot of countires in Africa are well capable of building their own infrastructure, we have allot of really bright and skillfull people here unfortunately they are not the ones in the governments.

The African politicians which include Namibian politicians will always speak good of the Chinese because of the gifts they recieve, most of the local companies that partner with the Chinese are owned by politicians. Corruption is really high here and the Chinese are being linked more and more to government corruption, it is in the news daily like that article the I posted.

The other problem with Chinese businesses is that they don't support the local businesses everything they use comes from china, you will never ever see a china man buying a local made product (maybe just some food, but they also come with their own noodles from china), the profits they make go straight to china as soon as they make it they engage in tax evasion with the help of government officials.

I am not very knowledgeable about Eco-No-Mix but from what I observe socially is that they are doing much harm to the country and most people feel the same (except the elite politicians). This is the same reality all over Africa.

Sorry for any errors, posted from I phone.

Messenger: cy6erlion Sent: 3/22/2019 12:52:00 AM

Nesta here are a few articles I think the I will find interesting concerning the Chinese business practices in Namibia:

https://www.namibian.com.na/76124/read/I-will-humble-myself-and-apologise-%E2%80%93-Mutjavikua

https://www.namibian.com.na/76110/read/Husab-workers-fear-for-lives-as-Chinese-get-blasting-contract

https://www.namibian.com.na/76031/read/Finance-prefers-Chinese-loan-for-airport

https://www.namibian.com.na/76365/read/Timber-exports-to-China-escalate

https://www.namibian.com.na/76165/read/SPYL-condemns-giving-tenders-to-foreigners

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 3/22/2019 1:16:39 AM

Thank you so much for sharing your powerful insights, cy6erlion. I very much appreciate reading your first hand observations about this. I look forward to reading the articles you've recommended.

JAH BLESS

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 3/22/2019 2:08:24 AM

cy6erlion,
The articles in the Namibian remind me of how naive it is to think that the mammon of Babylon's capitalism will ever really change its stripes to serve the broader interests of ordinary people, and how politricksters will always enrich themselves while fleecing the public they are supposed to be serving.

Thank you so much for sharing this with me. I delighted by your insights and respectful sharing of your perspective. If you have other information about this topic please post it here.

PROPHETS NOT PROFITS. RASTAFARI.

Messenger: cy6erlion Sent: 3/22/2019 3:40:45 PM

Yes I, It's greed and politricks for the love of money. I will share more things that I find relevant in the future.

I&I think the best direction for Africa is a United States of Africa that way no divide and conquer tactics will work on I&I. History teaches us that one of the the most powerful weapon of Babylon is to cause division amongst the people. HIM gave I&I the AU as the first step to unite I&I but most politicians are blinded by greed.

Rastafari

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 3/22/2019 7:46:16 PM

You're so right, cy6erlion. A united Africa would be such a powerful force to the reckoned with on the world stage that Babylon has ruthlessly resisted it. Even the demonization of Islam by the West is related to keeping Africa downpressed and divided.
Divide and conquer is indeed Babylon's most effective tool and it uses it remarkably effectively. The minute we start talking "black" and "white" people here, Babylon is succeeding by dividing the army of good people who share the common cause of defeating the Babylon System. Babylon is an evil mentality, not a particular group of people. We must join together to fight Babylon by refusing to divide ourselves along the lines of the labels it has assigned to us.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/24/2019 10:15:25 PM

Babylon is a Christian mindset reference to a specific Place and rulership. Forward in this time by Rastafari to mean the confusion spread by modern day systems of western white supremacy.

Black supremacy is anti babylon

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 23

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I