Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6819&start_row=1

An editorial titled "The Dangerous Weed" that appeared in Garvey's "New Jamaican" newspaper on August 13, 1932

1 - 1011
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Jahkhannun Sent: 6/1/2017 2:09:14 AM

Ganja is a dangerous weed. It has been pronounced so by responsible authorities. The smoking of it does a great deal of harm or injury to the smoker; we understand it has the same effect on the subject as opium has. Every day we hear of cases of ganja sellers being brought before the Court -- fines, small and heavy, have been inflicted with the object of destroying the trade, but yet it grows. The other day a man was found in possession of ninety pounds of ganja, this was enough deadly weed to destroy a thousand men. That our people are being destroyed by the use of ganja there is absolutely no doubt. We have come in contact with young men and middle aged men who have become a menace to society through the smoking of ganja. Sometimes they perform in such a crazy manner as to frighten us. Aren't we playing with the danger by not more severely putting it down?
Most of the people who smoke ganja do so as a means of getting themselves in such a state or condition as to forget their troubles and worries -- troubles and worries brought upon them by the bad conditions that exist in the country.... It would be good that more serious steps be taken to suppress this ganja habit.... Between ganja and fanatical religion, we are developing a large population of half-crazy people who may not only injure themselves but injure us. Some will do it in the name of the "Lord" and others may do it under the influence of the evil weed.

- Most High Honourable Marcus Mosiah Garvey

Messenger: Jãhkhãnån Sent: 6/1/2017 6:43:01 AM

I have first hand experience of the wild and unhealthy effects of prolonged heavy Ganja smoking and totally agree with most high Mosiah Marcus and his opinion about ganja. Too bad I had to realise this for myself when the damage was already done.

The sooner king David's royal sons and daughters avoid smoking anything smokable, the better. For the benefit of African kingdom.

Messenger: Hemphill Sent: 6/1/2017 5:05:37 PM

Interesting post brother.. I have to say that largely I agree, smoking herb for 'wreck-creational' enjoyment surely is a devilsih thing.. However, I see at the bottom of Garvey's editorial: "some will do it in the name of the lord and others may do it under the influence of the evil weed". Am I seeing this out of context or is Garvey advocating a sacramental usage of the herb vs smoking evil weed? I dont smoke 'weed' or even ganja but I do burn the holy herb in a sacamental offering to the Lord Jahovia. As many will attest, sacramental herb can help in meditation and bring one closer to the Christ mind. The healing of the nations.. Yet there is always another side, a side that does not acknowledge the fullness.. To me, this side would be the weed smokers.. Ones who largely are hippy minded and just want to feel good while doing nothing productive.. Yes this side is surely evil. But if there are two sides, then it comes down to the individual choice of how this powerful herb is used.. In a holy way giving thanks to Jah and meditating upon goodness and fruitful works, or in a wreck-creational way smoking and smoking to get high and 'messed up' and not able to get up from the couch to do anything...

I sometimes say that herb or Marijuana is the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.. Smoking for intentions of evil will bring foward evil deeds. Smoking for good intentions will bring forward good deeds.. Funny; the name Marijuana has a similar wordsound to Mary and John who we know to be witnesses to Christ's sacrifice.. Sacramental use of Marijuana can allow those to witness the oneness of Christ mind.. But such a powerful thing must be used wisely...

Just some of my thoughts on the subject.

Love

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 6/1/2017 5:57:14 PM

Tobacco is the real "dangerous weed". Marijuana is beneficial to mankind , the Healing of the Nation.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/1/2017 9:56:01 PM

Leonard Howell sold and smoked ganja. He even owned a few ganja tea houses while in new york

Anyway this stance has been corrected. Todays science as opposed to that of 100 years ago proves that ganja does not operate in the same ways as opium. Completely different mechanism of action and classification of chemical structure.

Messenger: Jãhkhãnån Sent: 6/2/2017 12:09:05 AM

I smoked Ganja and drunk chalice pipe for sacramental purposes, and distributed it in the neighbourhood for a price. Although I might have thought I was closer to God then, I was very wrong. I was very far from him. Ganja prevented me from desiring that higher life, from progressing spiritually and materially, as other men who understand themselves have done. Poverty is a sin. I hope you know that. Now that I am off the smoke and vapour, my mental faculty is slowly rebuilding itself, and I am highly ambitious.
-just an example from my own experience.

Messenger: Jãhkhãnån Sent: 6/2/2017 12:10:08 AM

Religion is the only true sacrament

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/14/2017 6:24:42 AM

Black Mamba aka Spice = dangerous weed

Messenger: Zion Black Jerusalem Sent: 6/14/2017 8:06:15 AM

Ganja is a progress inhibitor.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/14/2017 8:24:31 AM

People have smoked Ganja and done more for black liberation than you. It may be a progess inhibitor for yourself and others too, but for many it is the opposite. To each their own

1 - 1011

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I