Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6762&start_row=1

The Words "Bless" and "Blessed"

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 25
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 1/16/2017 2:39:24 PM

Greetings and Oneness
The ankhs for Life always

I have been feeling a hesitancy these days to say or write these words, Bless, Blessed, Blessings, although it has been habit for a long time... Because in I&I medItation it is starting to sound christianese, and I am more interested in uttering and spelling wordsoundpower of more tangible meaning.

What does the word "bless" mean? It sounds to I like a bestowal of goodness from some outside source, like a hand reaching out of the sky and giving someone a little rainbow of all-around goodness around them.. Maybe this imagery just comes from my mental programming, being raised in christian churches as a child. But I am curious how others see it. Is there a tangibility to it, in anyOne's sight? Is there a self empowerment or internal locus of control implied here, or do ones and ones see it as an external sky god doing the blessing?

Looking forward to any etymological information ones can bring forward.
Ises Most I

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/16/2017 3:09:31 PM

Etymology - Bless: to consecrate with blood. Originally a blood sprinkling on 'pagan' altars.

You have a point.....

RastafarI

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/16/2017 3:11:53 PM

Garveys Africa does not require nor want any Blessings.

Giving thanks

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 1/16/2017 4:09:02 PM

Garveys Afrika I give th ankhs.
The blood sprinkling imagery is even worse than my imaginary hand from the sky!
This is word seeming more and more necessary to erase from Iyah vocabulary.
Nguvu King!

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 1/16/2017 5:58:43 PM

Amharic:Bless= ishe

is this correct?

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 1/16/2017 6:18:37 PM

Hail Idren Jesse
In Amarigna the word Ishe is used just like americans use the word "okay."
It is used very often during Iversation, usually people will nod along and say "Ishe ishe" to express they are following what you are saying. Also to wrap up a discussion or interaction, often people will say "Ishe, ameseganalu" or "Ishe, chau." Okay, bye. Basically.
If there is a more religious context to the word Ishe, I definitely missed it.
To say "bless you," after a person sneezes, the word is "Ideg."
"Igziabher yistillin" is another way to express the same idea.

All that being said...
Ras Jesse, what does the I think about that bloody context to the word Bless? Etymonline: "from Proto-Germanic *blodison "hallow with blood, mark with blood," from *blotham "blood" (see blood (n.)"

Oneness

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 1/17/2017 10:01:32 AM

LOL!!!! Well I'll be damned!

Nice one JC!! Word sound and power

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 1/17/2017 6:07:29 PM

Lets take a DEEP LOOK at the unseen etymology of the very act of sneezing, which is the SPRINKLING OR SPRAYING OUT LITTLE DROPLETS, just like the “blessing,” which is an ancient sacred act that LITERALLY comes from proto Germanic "blothisojan" meaning to "hallow with blood," or in other words, to consecrate with the sacred fluid...

"....without any of us even knowing its origins…. just something to consider... how even the most HOLY of terms can be HOLEY (full of holes) until we understand them WHOLLY (completely).

BLESS (V.) Old English bletsian, bledsian, Northumbrian bloedsian "to consecrate, make holy, give thanks,” BUT COMES FROM PROTO-GERMANIC *BLODISON "HALLOW WITH BLOOD, MARK WITH BLOOD," FROM *BLOTHAM "BLOOD" (SEE BLOOD).

Many Semitic Proto Sinaitic and Indo-European traditions, possibly Zionism, may be very well aware of the tradition of the “blessing,” which is the sprinkling of the sacred blood on the sacred alter.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 1/17/2017 7:36:50 PM

Seen RAs Goddess! What a picture! One would think the artist had to reCognize the bizarre and grotesque circumstance while drawing that one...
Give th ankhs for adding to the reasoning as always Queen.

Whenever studying a word of religious context, I like to look at the hebrew scripture where that word is first used. If its in the first five books, claimed to have been written by Moses, then I find it logical to make the statement that this hebrew word originates from Medu Neter, and the true meaning can be found there.

Let's look at the first time the anglish word "bless" is used in the KJV: Genesis 12:2.

In hebrew the word used is ו;א;ב;ר;כ;ך;, the word meaning I will ב;ר;כ; you. So what does ב;ר;כ; mean?
So called H1288 in the strongs concordance
"a primitive root" Oh how very convenient for you mr. strong.

Is "bloedisan" even an accurate translation of this word? Even the etymonline.com source I shared before agrees that it is not. "This word was chosen in Old English bibles to translate Latin benedicere and Greek eulogein, both of which have a ground sense of "to speak well of, to praise," but were used in Scripture to translate Hebrew brk"... The translation of this so-called sacred book sure does sound subjective and biased when you put it like that, doesnt it?

B·R·K
Anyone who Iverstands Kiswahili probably reCognizes that one immediately.
Barak, bariki
This is also the name of the current (for a couple more days here) united states president..
In Amarigna the comparitive word (and name) is Bereket. BRK again.
So we can see that BRK still has a relevant meaning in Afrikan languages.
But what about the ancient Medu Neter?

So in Medu Neter, BRK means to present, give, bestow. Which is extremely similar to our modern use of that word "bless". But even though the conscious intention of our use of the word is positive, we are tricked into using a wordsoundpower of bloodshed when we use the anglish/germanic word!

If it's the Aten with solar RAs acting as hands out of the sky to bestow BARIKI or BEREKET, that is both natural and praise worthy!

But sky god can keep the blood sprinkles for sure hahahaha

Give Ise Most I

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 1/17/2017 8:27:07 PM

Those pictures seem not to have posted correctly... Let I try it again..
First one, blue letter bible page of Genesis 12:2

Second one, ipetisut page of BRK

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 25

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I