Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6744&start_row=111

White man claim he a Rasta, but InI know he no Rasta

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Geez Che Sent: 12/18/2019 4:59:02 AM

We are talking about Rasta as a political ideology.

Conservative Party members can't be Labour Party members and Labour Party members can't be Conservative Party members.

There are rules.

Likewise Democrats can't be Republicans and Republicans can't be Democrats.

On a national level, witness Trump being impeached for talking to Russia.

We cannot say that everyone can be Rasta if it is political. Politics is the art of division and ideology.

To my mind the problem is the label "White".

What do we mean by "White"? It has something to do with colour but not everything. Foolishness to reduce it to skin colour, foolish to ignore skin colour, no "race".

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 12/18/2019 5:46:36 AM

Rastafari is an African liberation expression in response to the post slavery and conolionism condition. Specifically in response to Marcus Garvey instructing the African diaspora to see God through the Eyes of Ethiopia and to look to the East for the crowning of a
black King identified by Rastafari domicile on a slave plantation island, as Haile Selassie I, InI African King and redeemer to come save black people.

Some would say we don't lef from these
foundation

Messenger: Ignorant/Wise Rasta Youth Sent: 12/18/2019 7:38:51 AM

Geez che

I don't know how to overstand the "everyone cannot be rasta" Because there are people who have political attitudes and wickedness that run counter to rastafari? or because a white cannot participate in rasta politics?

Messenger: Ignorant/Wise Rasta Youth Sent: 12/18/2019 7:42:02 AM

what do you mean by what you write Garvey? I agree with all this. It's rastafari roots, after all. But that's not what my question was

Messenger: Geez Che Sent: 12/18/2019 8:05:54 AM

Messenger: Ignorant/Wise Rasta Youth Sent: 12/18/2019 8:21:38 AM

But it's a fact that a white, red or yellow rasta would never have the same black roots

but the main question is what defines a rasta

I see it as there are the rootical rastas and than there are the people who followed their heart and chose Rasta or (Jah chose them)

Messenger: Geez Che Sent: 12/18/2019 8:32:42 AM

I never claim to be Rasta,

I follow some HIM teachings and some teachings of others.

I try to come together for mutual benefit and against mutual oppression where it exists.

I do not pretend to define what Rasta is or is not for others.

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 12/18/2019 10:44:04 AM

Religion is a set of beliefs and practices.

These typically enforce, reinforce, and guide a spiritual journey/path.

These should be seen as two separate entities but with religion being a tool of spirituality. Many people get it twisted backwards and make spirituality the tool of religion. That is a mistake.

I am impressed with a number of white people and let me say this honestly and delicately in hopes of not being offensive. We should realize, more than anyone, that all whites are not the same. While there is a type of white person who wants all white people to be the same because they fully subscribe to racist ideology as if THAT were a religion with beliefs and practices, there are many whites who are more and more rebelling against this persona of whiteness. It's not like they don't like being white. It's simply that they don't like the idea of race or being type cast as something they don't want to be and aren't very attracted to. There are whites who immerse themselves in other cultures; some who fully immerse like a baptism and come up, as it were, something altogether different. And they want to be accepted as such. And... I think it's time that they, these individuals, should.

It's almost like watching a man lose his soul for 400 years and finding it among all the people he oppressed during his life. Consider the tale of Scrooge.

On one hand, it is easy to react negatively and with some amount of jealousy. It is reasonable to think that if it weren't for slavery, these whites would not have the resources or time or freedom to find their soul among the cultures of the indigenous peoples of the rest of the world. However, it is also true that 1... a vast MINORITY of whites actually owned slaves so the number of whites who benefited directly is less than one might think, while the white who benefited indirectly also have time to lose that money and be just as broke, if not more, than the rest of us. What they do tend to have more of are hidden opportunities. But these are so well hidden that, without knowing about them, many whites don't benefit. This leads to a large mass of whites who feel disenfranchised and some even oppressed by modern American society with all of its globalization and careers requiring advanced degrees. The work they know they can get is being slowly taken over by Mexicans. Even American contractors are outsourcing a lot of work to Mexicans to do the actual labor so they can make higher profit. And so when they see us they think we have it easier because at least we have "affirmative action". They just don't know that it was never enough to overcome the biases and they think it would be fair if that protection went away.

Add to this class-ism. Lower class whites (those who are racists or racially biased) may not enjoy being in the same class as blacks and lower than middle class black people. However, many educated upper class whites don't care that many of them are lower class because everyone who is in that class is basically charity to them. There's a disconnect between classes that allows for class warfare. And so many whites in high class don't care about color at all; just how much you're worth. And they create opportunities for each other to make more. And often that's what their friendships are based on. There's a lot of exploitation at the low class level but since its more about survival people tend to accept the "cost" associated where as people at the top, it usually doesn't cost them anything to give opportunities to their friends, knowing that their friends have the power to do the same; to reciprocate.

However, in the lower class is where you find the greatest need. That need calls out for solutions, for answers, for ideas, for knowledge, for wisdom, for empathy, for passion, for healing, for all the things that when combined together equal soul. Our definitions may differ as your mileage may vary.

Why is all this relevant?

Well when white people have the same needs and they immerse themselves in other cultures and they absorb the spirit of all these things that other whites believe they have no need for... that is how they gain soul. It almost seems like osmosis. If you have whites that live around black people and they truly see themselves the same they learn to talk like us, sing like us, dance like us, play musical instruments like us, rap like us, and even be inspired to rebel like us. This is when they become more than just white people. They become equal members of the human species. Of course we're all the same species but it is a choices whether or not to recognize this fact and not be consumed with the idea of trying to be better than.

Now some may be thinking, "but I never met any white people like that". Well I have. And I am seeing more and more of them. The truth is that opposites do attract but there's another story. Control and domination lead to revolution. So I know where to find whites who are absolutely racist in the city I grew up in. And I know where exactly to find whites who are the exact opposite. And actually Dave Chappelle knows too because he lives in the area where these other white people are. And its its like seeing people in bondage on one hand (racists) and seeing people who are truly free on the other (non). There are even communities of white women who exclusively date black men... for "whatever" the reasons. It's simply their preference.

So what I'm saying is that white people are changing. They are. But they're not ALL changing. Some are trying to "conserve" that old white culture and build a wall of protection around it. Others are liberally embracing everything and everyone, seeing the value of diversity and breaking away from the Barbie syndrome of narrowly defining beauty as the "all american" (white) girl next door.

As these changes are happening, the same way that whites and blacks are inspired by asian culture and samurai, and shinobi, and anime, is the same way that whites can be attracted to and inspired by hip hop, reggae, and yes... rasta as a subculture and way of living.

It is an afro-liberation movement against a racist system. That will never and should never change. But who walks that walk... who fights that fight... doesn't have to be and should not be limited to any skin color because it is the fight against the very idea that skin color matters. This is what we're fighting for. When the day comes that skin color doesn't matter at all, there will be no one in power to oppress us based on our color. Will the system still be corrupt? Of course. Systems breed corruption. However, black people will not be the perpetual targets. And it was always the coalition of the willing, blacks, whites, and others, that made the civil rights movement effective. This doesn't take away from the fact that we started these movements. It doesn't take away from the fact that there will always only ever be one Bob Marley; the son of a black woman and a white man. We have to make room for Rasta of all colors, shapes, sizes, and nationalities. That is how Rasta achieves its goal; not by subjugating the world to some new authoritarian rule or power but healing it with the power of love, freely expressed and given to all.

That is One Love.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 12/18/2019 11:56:58 AM

the reason for my post was to highlight that that is a key foundation part of Rastafari. More than skin colour. I have met white people who claim to be for the African liberation fight and who are opposed to white supremacy etc. I have also met white people in Rastafari who claim that things have changed and evolved since InI foundations and there is no longer any race issues or Rastafari is about peace rather than a liberation fight etc, remember Nesta?

Messenger: Mineral B Sent: 2/4/2020 8:37:06 AM

White Rastafarians are white supremacists-
Black Rastas are black supremacists-
(+ jah
we never congregate...

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I