Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6731&start_row=1

Next Phase

1 - 1011 - 15
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ark I Sent: 12/22/2016 11:55:40 PM

I first learned about RasTafarI in 1991 when I was 15, and saw that it was I Trod. The only resources I had about RasTafarI at that time was music, the bible, and I once borrowed a small book about RasTafarI people from the library (sent from a different city through inter-library loan). I came to Toronto, Canada at the end of August, 1995 and sought out RasTafarI people so I could learn more. I started growing my locks at the end of September, 1995. I don't know the exact date, but based on my recent experience, and the Mystic Trod I have experienced these past 21 years, it was probably September 21, 1995.

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016, technically Wednesday, September 21, around 1 AM, I lay down in my bed, and after about 5 minutes, I get Irits from Selassie I showing I that I Nazarite Vow was over and I had to cut I locks. I was surprised to get a Vibe like that, if somebody asked I just a moment before if I would ever cut I locks, I would have told them no, and that I would have I locks for the rest of I Life. I have never felt any different these past 21 years, I have never once considered cutting I locks. No matter what the circumstances, cutting I locks was never an option.

But I knew the Irits was True, it was the Irits I learned to recognize and follow in I Trod, and Irits that have always proved to be True and Right. So I thought about the ramifications of cutting my locks and ending the vow, something that has been such a significant part of I Life, and wondered how I Idrens and Sistrens would react when they saw I. I told Iself that I would wait until Saturday, so that after I cut I locks, I could go to a hair dresser to get a proper cut, and it gave I a few days to see if I Irits would change.

In the morning (Wednesday, September 21), I felt no different, I vow was over and I had to cut I locks. And while I was at work during the day, the Irits was showing I that I can't wait until Saturday but had to cut I locks that day. After work, there were parent/teacher interviews at I childrens' school. I went there and I wife (she is not a Rasta) was waiting in line to get some food for the children and herself, they had a BBQ at the school. I went up to her and said, "My Nazarite vow is ending today.", she paused for a couple of seconds looking stunned, and said, "You mean you're cutting your locks?", I said "Yes", she said "Shut up, No way", I said again, "Yes", she said, "No way". She was just as surprised as I was, she also thought I would never cut I locks.

My plan was to wait until nighttime, after the children were asleep, then cut I locks; but while at the school, the Irits was showing I that I can't wait. My wife was going to take my two older boys to music class, and I was going to take my youngest boy home and give him a bath. So I plan was to give him a bath, and then cut I locks. When I got home, the Irits showed I that I can't wait until after, I have to first cut I locks before doing anything else, then I could give I son a bath. So I went to the mirror, held up the scissors to I first lock and told Iself that there is no turning back after that cut, then I cut I locks and beard. At the time, I didn't know why I had to do it right away, but afterwards I realized that it was because I had to do it before sundown. That night, I went to a fire pit in a ravine near I home with a friend and built a fire and chanted Isis and burnt I locks.

When I calculated the number of years I had I locks, I noticed it was 21 years, possibly exactly 21 years to the day, which is 3 sets of 7 years. And I thought about how, in addition to the 7 day Israelite Sabbath, there is a 7 year Sabbath. I was curious how the Israelite year Sabbath lined up with those 21 years. So I did some research and found that I started growing I locks at the very beginning of a 7 year cycle (September, 1995), went through 3 seven year cycles, then cut I locks at the beginning of the next 7 year cycle (September, 2016). In addition to a 7 year cycle, the Israelites had a 49 year cycle, which is 7 cycles of 7 years. When I looked into the dates, I had I locks in the final three 7 year cycles of a 49 year cycle and cut I locks at the beginning of the next 49 year cycle.

The Hebrew new year is the beginning of the seventh month and it shifts from year to year because it is based on a lunar calendar. This year, it is October 2, 2016. Since this is the beginning of a new 49 year cycle, the 10th day of the new year (October 12) is the Jubilee. Since the Ethiopian new year is close to the Hebrew new year, I thought it was derived from the Hebrew calendar but it was not. The Hebrew calendar is derived from the Babylonian calendar, while the Ethiopian calendar is derived from the Coptic calendar, which is derived from the ancient Egyptian calendar but has a different new year. Both calendars are likely to be originally derived from the same source at some point in history, that eventually lead to the Egyptian and Babylonian versions.

I and I, RasTafarI people, deal more with the Ethiopian calendar then the Hebrew, and the Ethiopian new year is September 11, so the Jubilee would be September 21, which the day I cut I locks. In addition to that, the Hebrew Jubilee happens to be 21 days after the Ethiopian Jubilee this year. The last time those dates lined up like that (at the beginning of a 7 year cycle) was over 6500 years ago. So I took the Nazarite vow for 21 years, it ended on the Ethiopian Jubilee September 21, 2016, which is 21 days before the Hebrew Jubilee this year.

I Praise Haile Selassie I still, I will never leave RasTafarI. I don't think I will grow I locks again, unless Selassie I calls on I to do it. It was a natural transition so I have had no regrets, but it took some time to get used to the change.

Blessed Love and Strength to Ones and Ones.

IverLiving Haile Selassie I RasTafarI King of Kings Lord of Lords Conquering Lion of Judah

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 12/23/2016 7:46:56 AM

Greetings Ark I

Give thanks for sharing a most personal experience with INI.

Ive known a few Idren that cut their locs after many years. Always a bit shocking at first, but hey, who are we to judge another's path?

TO THY OWN SELF BE TRUE

How did your children react? Do they have locs? Any negative reactions from other Rasta in your community?

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 12/23/2016 12:27:07 PM

Give thankhs for Iman story Ras Ark I... The inclination to trim is something Iwomban dont Iverstand still, but who feels it knows it, as sis Rasta Goddess reminds I&I, Man Know Thyself. I am interested to know, now a few moons after that vow fulfillment maybe Iman has had time to medItate upon, what reason does the I think these things happened, and the significance of the timing to the I?
Love + thAnkhs always

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 12/24/2016 11:34:20 PM

I children prefer the way I look now. They don't have locks. I have only told or seen a few Idren. They were surprised, but no negative reactions.

Yes I JAH Child, the inclination to trim is something I didn't Iverstand before that moment. When I know the Irits are True, I always follow it, well almost always. It was surprising to I, but it was so natural and Right, and it still feels that way. Before that moment, there was no time where I thought I would ever cut it or had even the slightest inclination to do it.

I have yet to Iverstand the significance of the time period. I am still seeking it. One Idren said that he thinks Haile Selassie I is starting to hide His children, but I haven't had any revelations about it Iself.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 12/25/2016 2:53:43 AM

Give thanks for sharing. For european rasta the idea of locks in the first place is a foreign one to I although I appreciate de I Irits come from biblical inspiration. Are we now saying ones can be rasta withOUT dreadlocks? This is a debated topic. For some locks are an outward expression of culture, hence coming part and parcel with the cultural aspect of the trod. For others it is a direc covenant with Jah. I guess it depend why the I have them in the first place that will determine the final outcome. Give thanks for the share same way.... I presume the I still identify as a Rastafari? And still will be moving with the Nya dem in Toronto? What IS the next phase???

If is not too personal could I also ask what ones (all the I dem) think about passing this culture onto ones children? I was always taught ones family should continue the traditions

Blessed love, and overs that man reason these things with humility for better global overstanding

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 12/25/2016 3:07:18 AM

In this time of High Court ruling in favour of discrimination of Dreadlocks people in workplace and in school. I would strongly urge ones to publically link their dreadlocks to so called religious belief of Rastafari so InI can fight this act of supremacy. This time moreso than ever it is important to promote the message of rasta having to be dread 'religiously' rather than by choice; and not the alternative

Of course this is a general statement and not a judgement on any individual.

Peace and love

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 12/26/2016 8:03:58 PM

I too feel that INI kulcha and traditions should be passed on to our youths @ Garveys

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 12/26/2016 10:11:19 PM

Garveys Africa,
------
Are we now saying ones can be rasta withOUT dreadlocks?
------

I don't know what I Sight for Iself yet. I see the dreadlocks as an integral part of being a Rasta, for Iritual Reasons and Purpose. For most of I Trod, I didn't see Combsome Rasta as really RasTafarI people. I remember many years ago, somebody was trying to encourage I to cut I locks and they asked I why couldn't I be Rasta on the inside without growing I locks, I reply was "What is on the inside must come out".

Over the years, I have made exceptions for Idren who cut their locks but still saw themselves as RasTafarI and still lived like RasTafarI people, at least for the most part. But those were exceptions I made out of respect for them and their Sight, but otherwise, for others, I still felt that locks are an integral part of being a Holy One, a Separated One, a RasTafarI Man or Woman.

Over the past few months, after I vow ended, most of the time I have been unsure if I should see Iself as RasTafarI. Sometimes I thought that I should see Iself as RasTafarI and other times I thought I should not, and in general so far, I am more leaning to I should not call Iself RasTafarI anymore. Just because somebody praises Haile Selassie I doesn't mean they are RasTafarI, there is more to being RasTafarI then just that. But I am not a Rasta sympathizer and would never accept that title, I always disliked that term. RasTafarI people don't need any sympathy. RasTafarI people are their brothers and sisters keeper, not the other way around. The only One RasTafarI people can cry to is Haile Selassie I.

I would no longer attend Nyahbinghi gatherings. Even though some people without locks attend, I don't sight that as appropriate. The way I Sight it, Nyahbinghi Chanting is for the Separated Ones, the Locks Man and Woman.

I don't know what the next phase entails, all I know is that something will be different.

In terms of I children, I have always thought that the responsibility of being RasTafarI is not something to take lightly, and has to be Iverstood and accepted before a person Trod as RasTafarI. I Teach I children I ways, but it is up to them to Sight if and when Haile Selassie I calls them to this Trod, and to choose to accept it.

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 12/27/2016 1:12:01 AM

Bless Up the I in the forward for the Lion and the Lamb are One.
For the Lamb seems to be coming out from within the I in this time.
There a great book "Healing of The Nations" by Dennis Forsythe, in it he reasonon about the Lion in us, dreadlocked aggressive,defender, and the Lamb in us gentle and calm, defended. Know that the JAH loks at the heart not the head, better to have RastaHeart with no lock than to be locks on head with out the vibes in the heart!

RasTafari will never hide his children ,protect them yes, guide them yes, but never hide them/You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a basket. Instead, they set it on a lampstand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

I do feel our children should not only inherit our physical traits but also our spiritual. To the fullness and more! (lacking no good thing)

"Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these"

The I said:
"Nyahbinghi Chanting is for the Separated Ones, the Locks Man and Woman."

what does being separated encompass ?
and is the I not separated from those things no more?

is the I partaking in activities or going in places and getting in presence of peoples now, that when with locks you couldn't?

Guidance

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 12/27/2016 11:53:03 AM

Give thankhs for the reply and for sharing Iman views Ark I. I will be interested to know what reasonings Iman arrive upon after having the time to reflect and seeing more of the big picture.

Interesting metaphor as well Ras Jesse, about the Lion and the Lamb.

Garvey I, I agree that making it very clear that dreadlocks are a sacred covenant and keeping locks equates to a religious practice has made it possible for I to do things that are otherwise not allowed. I always wrap my hair entirely when I am traveling or taking photos for IDs or passport. I bring a letter with me explaining the spiritual significance of having dreadlocks and where the Nazarite Vow comes from. This has allowed me to keep my dreads wrapped and covered 100% of the time, without fail. Even though I am not a bible person, I have no shame about using the quotes about the nazarite vow in order to allow me to retain my personal dignity and rights to keep my dreadlocks sacred and untouched by dirty hands.
I have a copy of that letter if anyone would like it, please let me know.

Love and Honor All

1 - 1011 - 15

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I