Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6550&start_row=1

Processed Foods

1 - 6
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: empress_kiyah Sent: 6/8/2016 9:33:14 AM

Okay!! I and I have been embracing this new Rasta lifestyle for about 2 weeks now and I really would like to go all natural but it is so expensive living in the States getting organic fruits and veggies. I get paid tomorrow so I will try going to a farmers market and buying food instead of the grocery store. I have even been contemplating about starting my own garden but since I live in a duplex it is a little hard. (Sorry so many negative words in this post, I haven't become very familiar with the positive words yet). Do any the I and I's eat processed food? I have even found vegan, non gmo, non dairy food but it is still processed and from I overstanding that is a No-No.
Jah Bless!!

Messenger: ras ravin-i Sent: 6/8/2016 9:52:14 AM

tough job deciding eh?....prison food no good.....living on the plantation...yuh cant escape it, its everywhere...scary isn't it?...but as you keep trying to unplug...the scarier it becomes....

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 6/8/2016 11:19:26 AM

Iyest Love All
Sistren Kiyah,
Yes growing food is a good idea. I don't know if the I have a yard in the duplex but even a few square feet of good soil and sunlight can produce surprising amounts of lettuce, beets, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes.. If the I have windows that get light during the day, set up herbs and green onions on the windowsill.
For Iwomban, anything that comes in packaging and/or is comprised of more than one ingredient, I think of as processed, and I try to avoid it as much as possible. In Ethiopia there is a lot of injera, which I do think of as processed because the teff grain is ground before mixing with water and fermenting. The result, injera, is a flat bread with a sourdough taste. I do eat injera almost every day because it is such a staple here, but I would like to get to the point where I can do the teff milling myself, that way at least I am the one doing all of the processing. For I the best option is the fresh, whole plant food, and nothing is more satisfying than food from I&I garden.
It doesn't have to be that pricey, rice and peas are some of the least expensive food items around. Yes organic veggies are more expensive than the round-up sprayed, GMO versions, but I think of it as saving money in health care costs later by avoiding those toxins.
Bless I + More Love

Messenger: empress_kiyah Sent: 6/8/2016 12:08:53 PM

I look at the packaging of EVERYTING I eat now. I and I so aware of the bad tings now and just trying to keep I and I family healthy. I do have half of a yard that I split with I neighbor and I could plant a few things. We just have tons of rabbits and squirrels. I've been buying "Vegan" food but it is still processed so I and I trying to get away from processed foods altogether. I did not think about rice, peas, and things like that which are really inexpensive. Thanks! This is definitely a journey and I and I fully prepared. I have finally found myself within Rastafari and I love everyday of it! (I wish I could shout it to the world HAHA)

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 6/9/2016 3:06:47 AM

For the rabbits and squirrels you could consider making an enclosed area by netting it off such as this fruit cage below:

http://www.theraisedbedandpondcompany.co.uk/uploads/2/2/9/4/22944584/s884527000419988323_p28_i2_w1280.jpeg

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 6/9/2016 7:43:59 AM

Blessed Love Sister
Glad to hear the Livity is bringing the I so much joy. Live up =)
As Ras Ravin was pointing out recently, veganism and Ital eating are not exactly the same thing. Many vegans feel fine about eating frozen veggie burgers, tofu, imitation cheese or imitation meat made from soy, cashew, or other vegetables processed into different forms, soda pop or unnatural energy drinks, salt, and plenty of packaged and trend hyped "vegan" foods. Ital is getting to the essence of vitality in food, seeking the most natural, healthful, JAH provided plant foods. Leaving out anything from the plate and the I Livity that is taking away from the vitality of the I temple. We have to think about economics as well, if we are not growing the food and recycling the seeds, then the seeds or the food items that we buy from others have to be funding programs and companies that support I&I Livity.
What I said in the other thread about following the vegan rule about grains and beans was referring to the need for Ital eaters to get the full range of amino acids for the body to build proteins, which can be accomplished by eating a variety of grain and pea foods. The only grain or pea that I know of with the full range of amino acids is quinoa. Other than this grain, grains should be paired with peas. The reason I called this the vegan rule is that I learned it from vegans long before I knew about Ital eating. But it applies to Ital eating as well.
Grains: Black japanese rice (japonica), Kamut, Teff, Amaranth, Quinoa, Barley, Brown Rice, Wild long grain rice (black red or brown), Wheat, Buckwheat, Groat (the oat before it is flattened)
Peas: Black pea, Black eyed pea, Red kidney bean, Northern white bean, Lentil (green, brown, black, orange, yellow), Gungu bean, Mung bean, peanut, Garbanzo/chick pea, fresh green peas
Those are short lists, the types of grains and peas in the world will blow you away if you look into it! And yes these items tend to be the least expensive, especially if you have a market or store near you with the bulk bins.
JAH Love
Teyna yistilin

1 - 6

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I