Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6505&start_row=1

Rasta and Muslim Relationship?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 42
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: KweenKali Sent: 5/7/2016 7:50:18 PM

Peace and Blessings all,

Everyone on this board have been very helpful in helping me understand Rastafari, I thank you. However I have a deeper question has come to my attention. It seems that Rastafari has many connections in different aspects of Christianity and the Bible. However, can a Rastaman have a relationship with a Muslim woman? I don't know how much one knows about Islam but from what I understand I see a lot of commonalities between the two. But is there a rule or belief against a Rastaman being in a relationship with a Muslim woman?

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 5/7/2016 10:52:42 PM

Blessed Greetings Empress

To Iwomban it seems the rule would be on the side of the Muslim religion. In general there are many Rastas who marry people of other faiths or religions. But I have never known a Muslim to marry outside of Islam, especially a womban. I have seen Muslim men that I know casually date womban of other religions (or no religion) but never seen them marry or even take the womban seriously. Maybe you know more about Islam than I do, but to I&I the impression is that womban are property, and their fathers or their husbands control their movements. I have a strong suspicion that the womban's father would not allow the marriage... (Unless she is a Muslim convert, and her parents are not Muslim?) A Muslim man marrying outside the religion is probably more likely, because it would be seen as him converting his new wife to Islam.

That being said, I agree there appear to be similarities, such as the fact that womban usually keep their hair covered, men usually do not cut their beards, and there are some food choices that are similar like the avoidance of pork. But the inner reasonings are not quite as similar as the practical lifestyle on the outside, as RastafarI is a movement of Afrikan Liberation, and Islam literally means "submission."

Righteous Love and Inity

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 5/8/2016 12:05:58 AM

Good reasonings sista empress! Nicely said.

I can't tell you how many times I've been mistaken for, or assumed to be Muslim. Or greeted with "al salaam a'alaykum", to which I inevitably respond with "RASTAFARI!!".....LOL

I would agree with the dynamics being more suited for a Muslim man to go outside of Islam more so then a Muslima, considering the strict restrictions placed on women.

The Baye Fall Muslims of Senegal and others who claim Islam might grow dreadlocks, smoke Ganja and listen to reggae. However this won’t make you Rastafari anymore so than eating halal food and wearing a hijab or growing a beard will make one a Muslim.

I have heard from Muslims brothas and sistas that they do not recognize His Imperial Majesty as the Lion of Judah and King of kings, as they consider this to be blasphemous. I would imagine that this would cause some fundamental strain in a relationship between Muslim and Rasta, not to mention the conflict between the fact that InI as Rastafari suns & dawtas are defenders of Mama Afrika, while Islam is also guilty of the destruction of Traditional Afrikan Spiritual Systems and ongoing slavery of Afrikan people.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 5/8/2016 1:38:36 AM

Selahsay I Love
True Goddess, I can relate with the I being mistaken for a Muslim, even by Muslims.... And likewise, I know one Muslim man who eats vegan since his birth, avoids alcohol, smokes ganJAH and listens to reggae, wears Dashiki, and has some Bongo natty dreadlocks.. Everyone assumes he is a Rastaman just from seeing him... But even he doesn't check for Rasta Empress! I only ever see babylonian girls on his arm. What a paradox...
RastafarI love Ivermore...
Every Empress to a Kingman, More Life

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 5/8/2016 8:34:36 AM

A paradox indeed!

Not to veer off the original subject of this thread, I thought it interesting to share a little Kushite HERstory in relation to Islam, as InI know that all roads inevitably lead back to Mama Kush:

"There was instead a living tradition of a matriarchal goddess worship and rites dating back to ancestral Ethiopia Kush where matriarchal goddesses have been worship in its most developed form since the beginning of time...

... The names of the three deities were Al-Manat, Al-Uzza (the Mighty One), and Allat, from whence you get the name “Allah....who had the same attributes as Het-Heru, and The Kaaba in Mecca was constructed around the shrine that once served as the house of worship for these goddesses in pre-Islamic times.

Most of Mohammed’s own tribe-the Koreysh- the keepers of the Kaaba- officiated over the worship of the Kushitic originated Godess Alaat.

Mohammed himself, who was to unite the whole of Arabia, thus appears to have had a prominent African-Kushitic lineage. According to al-Jahiz a renowned Black Arab writer and philosopher of Ethiopian origin who had lived in Baghdad, “…the guardian of the sacred Kaaba–Abd al-Muttalib, “fathered ten Lords, Black as the night and magnificent.” One of these men was Abdallah, the father of Muhammad.

KUSH & ISLAM

Allah is the name of a SPECIFIC deity and that deity was once known as the goddess Allat before her name was changed by misogynistic Arab men who rejected the doctrine of the divine feminine. For evidence of just how different the white Arab and the Black African male were with respect to how they saw their women I highly recommend you read Ibn Battuta in Black Africa by Noel King and Said Hamdun.

The Secret HERstory of Islam

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 5/11/2016 5:00:27 AM

Interesting teachings RasGoddess! Give thankhs
I was reading the article to see where the black rock comes in, but I didn't see mention of it. Does the I know or can the Iwomban explain how the rock is linked with Moon Goddess worship?
Blessed Love + JAH guidance

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 5/11/2016 10:03:33 AM

"This which they call “stone,” is the head of Aphrodite… whom they call Chabar [Kabar]" -- John of Damascus 730s A.D.

The Islamic symbol of The crescent (moon) and star (venus) are originally symbols of Auset/Isis.

The Black Ka'aba Stone bore the emblem of the Yoni, Sacred Symbol of Female Creative Power.

The Sacred Black Stone (in Arabic "Hajar ul Aswad") is said to be sent down from Heaven but more realistically, according to Dr. Ben Yochannnen it was originally a meteorite, carried from Ethiopia by Sabeans.

At Mecca the Goddess was Shaybah or Sheba, (SABA) the Old Woman, worshipped as a black stone . The sacred Black Stone now enshrined in the Kaaba at Mecca was her feminine symbol, marked by the sign of the yoni, and covered like the ancient Mother by a veil. Shaybah being, of course, the famous Queen Sheeba of Solomon’s times.

The Kushite/Sabean's Spiritual & Cosmological System recognized the moon (Auset)and planned their "religious rites" around the lunar calendar. One such rite was fasting from crescent moon to crescent moon, a practice which would also be adopted by Muhammad.

It is interesting to note that Sheba/Saba/Auset is symbolic of the moon, and SOL-AMUN (Solomon) symbolic of the sun or star

From Richard King's book "Melanin: A Key to Freedom" about the Black Ka'aba Stone:

"Thus, for many followers of Islam the experience of viewing the Black Stone Meteorite El Ka'aba in Mecca evokes the inner vision image and experience of God. This inner vision event was likely to have been experienced by the same Africans who brought the Black Stone from Ethiopia to Arabia long before the birth of the Prophet Mohamet. It is equally important to note that in Kemet, the genetic child of Ethiopia, Black Stones were given Divine Value. Black stones were often placed as the all Black pyramiadon cap stones upon the top of pyramids, an all black stone room (rose granite being a black granite with flecks of red as the King's chamber is the highest room in the interior of the Great Pyramid of Giza), and a special system of linear measurement being used by Kamites when working in Black Stone, the Black Cubit or nilometric cubit."

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 5/11/2016 10:45:16 AM

Messenger: Black Christ Salvation Sent: 5/11/2016 6:38:26 PM

Give tha Ankh's for the Enlightenment RastaGoddess!

One perfect love!

Hail King Alpha and Queen Omega!

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 5/11/2016 11:18:45 PM

Yes Impress I give thankhs for the descriptive answer! I was thinking the meteorite history of the stone has something to do with the link with the Moon Goddess, but I wasn't sure if that was true that it was a meteorite (I didn't remember where I heard that). Yes I absolutely agree that the encasing of the stone resembles the Yoni! I was sIghting that also, actually I was seeing it more as a black head crowning from a silvery vagina, imagery that reminds me of the idea of Nut giving birth to AmenRa/Aton.
More Life + Love
Glory to the Most I

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 42

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I