Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6496&start_row=1

"RASTA CRITIC"

1 - 1011 - 13
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Black Christ Salvation Sent: 4/26/2016 5:52:19 AM

Blessed Love!
Came across this on facebook...
What's I and I thoughts about it?

Article removed as per the request from Wisemind Publishers. I will be adding an official link to a PDF containing the article soon.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/26/2016 7:04:15 AM

Dem still cant study rasta

Too much generalisation from his one experience

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 4/26/2016 11:09:18 AM

True, dem can't study Rasta.

There are definitely some truth in that word sound. Only ego would deny that.

Still, InI cannot be defined by Western standards or expectations.

Look for us in the whirlwind or in the storm...

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 4/26/2016 12:43:15 PM

Its good to be humble and even take a critical look at Oneself.

I for example live in the USA and buy food from grocery stores and drive a car (hybrid) that uses gasoline, so even I am living within the system to an extent compared to an Ethiopian farmer who would grow the majority of the food themselves.

However there are other points in the article I don't agree with.

Messenger: Voodooruuts Sent: 4/26/2016 6:32:47 PM

Maybe the critic miss a major point e keepa stressing..."those from the west". I think that would sum up our perception of Africa and our living day to day. Even for I in the west to look to Africa as "AFRICA" says alot because ones usually sight in the singular, when its really very diverse.
Ones shouldnt expect Erhiopians to have diasporan repatriation on their agenda since they pride themselves on never being colonized and enslaved and diasporans descend from Western African tribes and now countries mainly. Continentals dont have this singular view of Africans as many of we do.

Ethiopians like anyone else will their own perceptions on that which they dont overstand.

Internal criticism aint no bad thing still

Messenger: Voodooruuts Sent: 4/26/2016 9:06:02 PM

People are always making a comparison of a countries living standard to western countries and specifically to the USA and in terms of dollars. I find this an unfair comparison to an Ethiopian lives off 140 US while those in the US cant imagine doing so. How much of that 140 will Ethiopians spend on living exspenses, when US rent will easily run 700-1,000 US. So are they paying $700 monthly rent on $140 monthly salary?
Idk but 2000 Ethiopian Birr seems sutible for Ethiopia's exspenses and comparable to 2000 US in the US, I could be wrong though.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 4/27/2016 10:29:38 AM

"Heaven is our home and earth is our market place" - Afrikan proverb

Though InI are a humble people, and not motivated by material wealth, it is a misconception that we are all "ragamuffin" or choose to live like "starving artists". Rasta is not synonymous with poverty. Some have big homes, fancy cars, large bank accounts, etc. If that make one "less Rasta", then His Majesty Himself would not be considered "a real Rasta" according to that logic.

Rastafari is not determined or defined by materialistic terms. I'd rather see a revolutionary Idren in a hybrid car then a rent-a-dread cloaked in Rastafari robes.

Messenger: Jah Seeker Sent: 4/27/2016 4:04:17 PM

Agreed RG!

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 4/30/2016 8:32:11 AM

Selahsay I Love

Give thankhs for the reasoning, thanks for sharing the essay Black Christ... To I&I the impression is that it is more of a self critic on the part of the author than anything else... the author is talking about thoughts and feelings that only the I self would know, and yes Garvey I, I agree, it seems based solely on his one experience. But he obviously loves Ethiopia and Rastafari, even while having a somewhat cynical perspective. I agree with some of what he says, even while I question certain points. He says a lot so I would like to try to address each point as he presents it...

It is true that most of the world, not only the west, is asleep (mentally, spiritually, even physically lethargic in many cases). But Rastafari has been and Itinues to chant for the world to break out of that negative energy trance. Reggae music is a great Ixample and I don't need to mention all of the Inscious artists who have and Itinue to write profound and rebellious lyrics, but I think of one song in particular by JAH9: Tension.

To say that Rasta has built nothing for her children is to deny the fact that the Rastafari Movement has been growing steadily since its inception, and many of the previous generation's progeny are Itinually rISings the Ites by bringing forward their own meditations (Chronixx). All of us in this reasoning are children of Rastafari, being the inheritors of the legacy in this present generation, so can we really propose that nothing has been built for us by the foremothers and forefathers of this Movement?

Repatriation is not only physical relocation and the cessation of babylon's poisonous consumption items, but the mental and spiritual liberation that comes from self education. The author is making it sound like Rasta are just as plastic and GMO as the mass of uneducated people going down the drain with babywrong. But from Iwomban personal experience, Idren + Istren in this trod are Itinually purifying, leaving behind old habits as they become more aligned with JAH vIsion, and striving to live natural and simple lives. In the west especially, with the arise of health companies making healthier alternatives, non-GMO seeds, and so on, so widely available. Not every fashion dread lives this way, but the Inscious brothers and sisters are not to be overlooked because this movement has an overwhelming number of them. So I disagree that Rasta is failing to "come out of the house that you have set on fire." Even in physical repatriation, many have already made the move (it seems like the author is one of them?).

Now this issue of community programs to uplift those in need and support the multifacets of the community: what has Rastafari done to build programs like this? I think of Makeda Dread Channing, the founder and director of the World Beat Center in San Diego CA, which hosts health, history, spiritual, musical, and political lecturers, as well as offering summer camp programs for children with education in nature, drum and dance classes, and reggae concerts at very low prices for the whole community to be enriched. I am sure she is not the only one running a program like this, but she is an example from my hometown that I am well familiar with. Maybe the author is saying specifically in Ethiopia, there needs to be more community outreach and support. It is true that more can be done in uplifting the community everywhere, and each person has a gift to offer that is unique. We need to strive to unlock those gifts and realize that our talents and our passions are meant to serve our community and make a greater Iration.

Personally, I completely reject that statement about hypocritical backstabbing and envy... I am sure there are some bad experiences people have had out there with people who are faking the spirituality or are, probably more often, truly loving people who are immature in their spiritual strength and therefore make mistakes in how they approach situations; but I can not think of one single instance when an Istren or Idren has acted this way toward I...

And in terms of "pseudo-hybrid psychotic reactionary so-called culture", I have to simply question what this phrase is supposed to indicate. In which way is Rastafari "reactionary"? When I think of this reactionary mindset, I think of someone who produces no thoughts of their own, but waits to be prompted to react; sees a television ad for mcdonalds and then goes and buys a big mac later that day, or on a more serious note, someone who sees the world trade centers falling and calls for death to Osama bin Laden, without a single minute researching the history of the situation, just because the media sold them on the outlook. And that is not how I see Rasta people, who I would call introspective rather than reactionary.

When he mentions buying culture, I assume he is talking about red gold and green attire, maybe a Bob Marley t-shirt? But Rasta know that love and Inity is not something that can be bought. When I&I greet each other, we come in humility and oneness, and personally I have never felt that people are struggling for personal power within a group; in a reasoning, the voice that wants to be heard the most is the one that knows Truth... and then there are those jokers who come and try to disrupt the meditation, but since when do they define the philosophical movement within Rastafari?

Identity crisis? Livity amnesia? Can't manage to manifest what is right? I can see how some people can fall into that category, the dancehall dreads, but I&I have no question about Rasta Livity, nor does the Livity fail to separate I&I from the rest of society in numerous ways... if your livity is not separating you from babylon physically and mentally, then there needs to be another purification in the livity. And maybe that is what the author is trying to write out for himself, is a meditaiton on more purity in his own livity. Which is good, we all have to seek that on a personal level. But why are these attributes assigned to all of the people who are living in the Iytes? What about the Ital healer and chef Priest Kailesh, of St. Lucia, who is an exemplary teacher and gives much to his community through beautiful, natural Livity? What about Mutabaruka, barefoot Philosopher King, whose words open the minds of many to the Truth of Rastafari? This author fails to recognize the amazing leaders in the movement and their Livity as well as the majority of Rasta brothers and sisters who are recognizably living pure and natural, especially in comparison to the average american.

The comments about "when we reach Africa, complain about everything" seem unfounded. Although I admit the difference is shocking coming from the west, I am more grateful to be in Ethiopia than I am mournful of the instant gratification lifestyle that I left in the west. Yes it is a big change and it can be challenging, but I give thankhs every minute that I am here in Afrika. And I don't see any of the other Rastas complaining about what they left in the west, or the difficulties of life here. If they were complaining when they got here, maybe they left already, but I don't see them.

And it does not seem true that Ethiopians resent the attitude or behavior of Rastafari who come here. One Ethiopian man said to me, in the line at Customs in Bole International Airport, "You should assume you are Ethiopian. Rastafari are our brothers and sisters." Maybe he was just being nice, but he seems to disagree that Rasta are crude or disrespectful, saying instead that he accepts them as Ethiopians. It is true that there is an element of confusion among Ethiopians regarding the fact that Rasta people see Haile Selassie I as JAH, Igziabher Amlack, many Ethiopians assuming Rastas to be a type of Christians with long hair, or anyone who comes from Jamaica. (There is not any differentiation here between a Jamaican and a Rasta.) This is from my personal experience, many people asking me questions and allowing me to explain I&I views, and being very surprised at the answers; I am not sure if others are more aware of the ideology of Rasta or the fact that not all Rasta people come from Jamaica (or that not all Jamaicans are trodding Rastafari).

About the tourist visa in Ethiopia. Yes that is true that most people come on a tourist visa. Most repatriates I talk to (and myself included) came here on a tourist visa. Some were short, only 1 month visas. But many stay beyond the visa limit. Here in Shashemane there is a certain extent of immunity given to Rasta who overstay their visa. They are not prosecuted or forced to pay fines unless they attempt to leave Ethiopia and return to their own countries, at which point they are obliged to pay a fine calculated based on how long the visa was overstayed. And the author is also correctly stating the issues that come with living in Ethiopia with only a tourist visa. Not only is it illegal to work, it is not even allowed to volunteer without wages (which was my plan upon immediate arrival). But JAH show the way still. Some people have been here over 30 years without having legal rights of a citizen, and they are making it work still by the guidance and power of JAH.

Regarding the wages in Ethiopia: I am not sure where or when the author was stating that the average monthly wage is 2000 birr (I know the wages are higher in bigger cities, as are the costs of living). Actually from my observation in Shashemane, the average monthly wage is less, about 600 birr. That is about $30 USD. And the monthly rent can be about 1500 birr for a house in Shashemane, maybe 500 for a smaller "condo" or what I would call a studio apartment, although I know it is much more in Addis. So from my observation the wage standard is even worse than the author is mentioning, costs far outweighing the income. VDR I don't think it is true that the wage is suitable. But people pull together, families and friends help each other endlessly. That is how Ethiopians manage to do the unimaginable, living on such low wages and yet professing everyday, "Selam nu", "Igziabher yimasgan."

Overall I am not sure exactly what the author is proposing or the practical suggestions for what people should do. Break the habits of babylon? Leave the west and come to Ethiopia, but know what you are doing first? He seems to suggest against using a tourist visa, but at the same time cautions business investors that they can lose everything if they go through those channels, so I am not sure how he thinks people should go about repatriation. Treat the world with compassion and discipline? That is a bit of an abstract suggestion in my view... They are good suggestions, although I have a more optimistic vision of the Movement, and just want to see more of the great things our Empresses and Kings have been bringing to the world. True that everyone has higher heights they can attain, so more purity and more truth everytime, I can Ipprecilove the Idren passion and drive to see Rastafari become something even greater than already Is.

JAH grace and peace All

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 4/30/2016 10:27:03 AM

Beautiful word sound!!!

I truly enjoyed reading this. Give thankhs and praise every time!

RASTAFARI

1 - 1011 - 13

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I