Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6478&start_row=1

MUSIC IN HEALING

1 - 1011 - 16
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 4/7/2016 4:35:34 PM

Music in Healing
by Meki Nzewi

The term music here suggests the musical arts theatre of the structured musical sound, dance, dramatic arts and performance plastic arts.

Music in traditional Africa is the science of being; the art of living with health. Music is the intangible resonance of which the human body and soul are composed: The human body is the quintessential sound instrument; the human soul is the ethereal melody. A matching of human souls is the foundation of African harmonic thought and sound. Musical harmony is the consonance of complementary inter-dependent melodies and timbres - vocal or instrumental.

Dissonance occurs when independent melodies or souls or tone/pitch levels fail to harmonize in accord with a culture's normative idioms of interaction in life and music. Complementation of souls or the consonance of matching melodies generates healthy resonance - a healing energy. What constitutes dissonance is culturally, not universally determined. Dissonance of component parts or elements of a music event could be prescribed by a non-musical intention, which could be healing. Dissonance, whether of souls or co-sounding melodies/pitch levels/tone levels/timbres, arouses disquietude, a disruption of composure, which then compels a need to resolve irregularity. Otherwise, a state of disrupted harmony or accord would prevail, and could become injurious.

The African science of applying music to health cure relies on acute understanding of the energy properties produced by various music instruments; also the sonic constructs that would engage dissonant tissue energies in order restore the normal resonance of life energy in human organs. The African knows and applies music as energy, an effective-affective force. Hence music is conceived, structurally conformed, and staged for purposes beyond, but not excluding, the artistic-aesthetic interests.

The resonance of musical movement, whether of sound or of stylized body rhythm/motion vibes into the resonance of the body tissue or soul energy. Where the tissue resonance is out of synchrony with that of the musical energy, a state of conflict is generated. The confrontation could initially aggravate the feeling of ill health. When the energy of music is sustained with variations (intensity of vibration) as needs be, the bombardment of tonal frequencies/energies could distress the infecting organism/ distuned state of being. The bad energy that disables normal tissue or soul resonance could be eventually stressed and dispelled. At the resolution of conflict, the embattled human body or soul needs to be further re-tuned to normal through the agency of music. The music healer knows and manipulates the appropriate phonic energy for tackling the nature of an illness. This will include the instrumental tone, ensemble texture, the structural configurations of sound and form, also the individuality of the sick person. Hence Diallo and Hallstates that "the musician needs to create a dialogue between the sounds he produces and the responses of the person he is treating" (1989, p. 160). This assumes that the sick person is psychically tolerant, through enculturation or acculturation, to the phonic norms of the music used.

The African science of musical sound in healing prescribes raw (nature's) harmonics that generate more healing resonance than refined or synthetic harmonics. Drums (of animal skin and wooden/clay/calabash shell), animal/vegetable wind, and robust string/metal (cast iron/bronze) instruments are rich in healing harmonics. They are commonly preferred for playing healing music.

Some cultures still practice mass musical arts healing of group mental stresses. This may be incidental (dispersing the stresses of daily subsistence existence), cumulative (the purgation of the collective pollution of the human sphere over a period of time - commonly an annual event), and regenerating (re-energizing the communal as well as individual psyche). There is also the musical arts healing of the physiological/mental disability of an individual. In either instance of healing/purgation, music is central in Africa. Preventive medi-care, which is strong in the African health consciousness is commonly, routinely effected and enforced using the musical arts theater. This includes the musical arts for the staging of emotions - personal, gender or age - (Nzewi 1999), and which are constant psycho-therapeutic measures.

In African medi-cure practice music is particularly researched for dealing with mental/spiritual sicknesses. In other circumstances music creates and sustains a mental-physical state of being requisite for the administration of physiological cure. Music convenes the community participation that in turn musters the spiritual energy of the sick person to recover and rejoin a supportive human fold. When the will is strong the body is better in tune to fight injurious organisms.

Musical constructs are critical in healing music situations. Hence producing aleatory or improper musical sounds may marginally act as diversion or palliative, but cannot effect or induce healing.

The healing energy of music derives from distinctive structural conformations - melodic/melorhythmic/textural/formal structures. The nature of sickness or disorder recommends the thematic development theory that will be appropriate. Strict repetition of a theme can, for instance, generate cumulative affect. Otherwise, repetition of a theme is not the norm in the compositional theory of African music. Elsewhere (Nzewi 1997, pp. 59-67) we have argued the philosophical-psychological rationalization of repetition in African music, if and when indeed actual repetition is rationalized. Dance, drama, visual/plastic props, including numerology and sign reading (of the patterns of thrown, and thereby, energized bones/seeds/sticks/stone) are of strong import in diagnosis and effecting healing. The theater of medicine is a science that involves musical arts component in traditional Africa.

References
Diallo, Yaya & Mitchel Hall (1989). The Healing Drum. Rochester: Destiny Books.

Nzewi, Meki (1997). African Music: Theoretical Content and Creative Continuum. Oldershausen: Institut fur Didaktik popularer Musick.
Nzewi, Meki (1999). The Music of Staged Emotions - The Coordinates of Movement and Emotions in African Music Performance. Musikunterricht Heute. pp. 192-252.

Music in Healing

Messenger: Hemphill Sent: 6/1/2016 2:54:44 PM

This is a Great read!!

Many thanks for the in-depth information Sister Goddess!!

I would like add a personal testimony for this truth.
Every tuesday, our 'tribe' -- I live in a communal household where friends are family -- gets together to play music. Those who are able bring instruments to the gathering and we eat, smoke, sing and play music. I have to say that this weekly event is something that I really look forward to. The vibes are si HIGH! We let the music come naturally. Starting with a steady one drum beat and then adding in the other drums, flute, guitar, and voices.. Nothing planned and constantly changing. Sometimes there can be up to 10 people playing at once and when the group synchronizes it is truely a beautiful and healing melody.. Our tribe is of many ethnicities, to come together to make music and High vibes on a regular basis is felt as pleasing to the creator! I was on the site yesterday and read a new post by Black Christ Salvation called Mighty Testimony where he speaks of Holy Emmanuel I passing flesh on Tuesday May 31 1994.. I meditated on this before and as I was playing -- drums and guitar.. Last night truly was special and healing, especially after reading this post!!

Most High Love and Appreciation!

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 6/1/2016 5:07:05 PM

Lovely! :)

Sounds like very IRIE vibez!

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 6/2/2016 10:26:35 PM

Love and Bless+sings All
Impress when I first read this post, a quote came to mind, and I was trying to find it. Unable to find it I am going to paraphrase, from Ra Un Nefer Amen's book Metu Neter, that most people even when spiritually awakened fail to recognize or teach others about the healing powers of music and sound vibration. RasGoddess is obviously not one of those people!
Give thankhs for sharing the reasoning SiStar!
Fqr chmr

Messenger: Black Christ Salvation Sent: 6/3/2016 10:38:24 AM

"NYAHBINGHI IS THE SWEETEST SOUND.."

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 6/3/2016 10:57:49 AM

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 6/3/2016 10:58:05 AM

The fundeh drum of Nyahbinghi music, according to Rastafari, communicates this imperative in its heartbeat-like rhythm, the "one-two order." This simple message of the heart is one that leaves no space for prejudice between beats; it knows no conditional tolerance for any man or woman; it is a "divine trod" on the path to freedom of the mind and soul.

Messenger: Black Christ Salvation Sent: 6/3/2016 11:21:27 AM

Speaking of One Two Order and Musik makes I think of this almost 10 years old musik video. Jah Mason & Joseph Shepherd.

"Gimmie back the One - Two Order, Hail the Son and the Father, Empress Menen, she a mi heart beat!"

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 6/3/2016 11:55:36 AM

Haven't heard that one in a while breddah!

YES I!!!!!

Messenger: Black Christ Salvation Sent: 4/27/2017 6:43:28 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_v8cUgBEJU

RASTA TELL DEM ALL THE WHILE

1 - 1011 - 16

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I