Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6384&start_row=1

HIM: Father of Pan Afrikanism

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 1/22/2016 6:38:19 PM

Haile Selassie, Father of the Organization of African Unity (OAU) was founded in the midst of decolonization of Afrika.

"We are determined to create a union of Africans. In a very real sense, our continent is unmade; it still awaits its creation and its creators. It is our duty and privilege to rouse the slumbering giant of Africa, not to the nationalism of Europe of the nineteenth century, not to regional consciousness, but to the vision of a single African brotherhood bending its united efforts toward the achievement of a greater and nobler goal"

1. Haile Selassie I is the only man to be able to bring back self-respect in the eyes of the Africans during the war against the attempt by Italy to colonize Ethiopia in 1936.

a. Prior to this the Zulus and British fought many wars. The Zulus demolished the British in the battle of Isandlwana in the late 1800’s.

b. The history of African Struggle kind of died out until Haile Selassie I revitalized the African Struggle in the 1930’s against Italy.

2. Haile Selassie I did not participate in the factionalism of African Leaders fighting against each after colonialization, therefore he was the only one who could bring them together.

3. According to Professor Ernest Dube, an African Historian and of the African National Congress in South Africa, without Haile Selassie I we would not of had the Organization of African Unity (OAU) in May 1963.

a. The Organization of African Unity (OAU) is based on the ideology of Pan-Africanism a wish of African People to come together and fight colonialism , racism, and prejudice against African People

4. The OAU was formed on May 25th, 1963, and all of Africa knows Haile Selassie I as the father of the OAU.

a. There has never been a coming together of all of Africa before the forming of the OAU.

b. Today the OAU is known as the African Union (AU).

5. Haile Selassie I is important because when there was division amongst independent African States/Country in late 50’s early 60’s into 2 groupings, Monrovia and Cassablanca groups, Haile Selassie I brought these two groups together and showed them that there differences was superficial.

6. Haile Selassie I was a great mediator. He showed the Monrovia and Cassablanca groups that they had to compromise and bring Africa together as one fighting as a single unit against the common enemy to Africa.

7. Haile Selassie I was loved by his people and walked around his people without any guards or security.

8. Haile Selassie I build the University of Addis Ababa and increased the number of schools inside of Ethiopia.

9. Haile Selassie I fought and ultimately succeeded in keeping his people, Ethiopia, free from Colonialism.

10. Haile Selassie I represented African manhood and this is very significant to African People.

11. Haile Selassie I’s popularity was all over the continent of Africa.

12. The Black Churches breaking away from the white churches in South Africa was called the Ethiopian Movement even though many South Africans never been to Ethiopia, it was symbolic to them.

13. Haile Selassie I restored African Pride Amongst African People.

14. Haile Selassie I is a symbol of African Unity.

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 1/23/2016 1:18:24 AM

Yes I sista. HIM is just like brother Kwame Nkruma is equaly a founding father of OAU & Pan Africanism, and so is Marcus Garvey who inspired Nkruma. Nkruma helped Ghana to be de first African country to gain independence. There are many other great names ina Africa dat yu may be suprised dat they are more popular than HIMin some parts of Africa. One of them is King Mosheosheo who is known to have defeated de Europeans with rolling stones depite de fact dat dem were armed with guns. Raspect

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 1/23/2016 7:23:53 AM

Yes bredren. InI have many Afrikan warriors , revolutionaries and freedom fighters in JAH army!

Worthy to be praised!

UHURU!

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/24/2016 6:57:28 AM

Black Heart the difference in HIM and Nkrumah is HIM was the chosen HEAD of the early PanAfrican movement, as recognised by Nkrumah himself. Not a member but the lead the boss the chief of the early OAU/AU and set to be 'president' of the United States of Africa. This is significant. HIM a literal King of Kings

Black love

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 1/24/2016 2:53:20 PM

Yes I brother. I am not talkin about political leadership but I'm talkin about works in de Black liberation struggle by defferent individuals ina Africa dat are not recognised by many RASTAs yet their contributions are as important as those of HIM. Now de problem is dat in yo mindset nothing is above HIM so like many RASTAs yu force things to make it look de way yu believe. However it is a fact dat Nkruma is also known ias de father of OAU. Manypeople don't even know HIM. Its a fact to deal with

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 1/24/2016 3:12:07 PM

I give Raspect to HIM fo his contributions in de Black liberation struggle but I must make it clear dat to many of us ina Africa HIM is just man like any other man who contributed in de struggle. Yu may see HIM as above all but many of us at home do not see HIM to be above all. Dat is not ment to disrespect HIM but its a fact. Many people ina Africa rejected Rastafari becos of de RASTA teachings dat seh HIM is God. Many people here see dat as confusion. Many Africans can't relate with HIM in dem

Messenger: Voodooruuts Sent: 1/24/2016 7:10:53 PM

I overs weh d I come from, I sight many on d continent will/can relate to those of tgeir own ethnic/tribal group or related group then national or regional, right?
I gathered that many Tygre or Oromo (kinda forgot which group) dont have very good opinion of HIM over some internal disputes that outsiders wont overstand. Same ones from Igbo tribe wont see Hausa heroes in the same light as Hausa will but MAAFA Africans may sight them up as Black hero.
Sheikh Amadou Bamba and Ibrahima Fall will always be to/for Senegal than Haile Selassie is to them. I talk to a Nigerian about HIM and he didnt know who he was, he had never heard of HIM!

Western Africans and Africans at home see a lot of things thru different lenses!

Messenger: Voodooruuts Sent: 1/24/2016 7:10:54 PM

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 1/24/2016 9:49:07 PM

Truthful my brother. When it comes to Pan Africa there are names dat are even more respected than HIM in many parts of Africa to people of different ethnicity or tribe to de recognised individuals. One other great name is brother Bantu Biko who was assasinated by de whites ina South Africa fo his Black Consciousness movement & his teachings of Black redemtion & upliftment. Another fact to deal with is dat many Africans do not see HIM as an African. Some see HIM as an Arab. Dat is reality.

Messenger: Voodooruuts Sent: 1/25/2016 1:27:20 AM

Yes I have heard of that before that some Ethiopians say HIM wasnt Ras Makonnen's true son but the son of an Arab man. Ive even heard of some regarding the whole of the Amhara people as invaders and not originally African. Some also feel that way about the Fulani some speculate they were from India.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I