Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6344&start_row=1

For Di Youth

1 - 9
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 12/20/2015 10:33:54 AM

Sankofa Kids Affirmations

Kiriku and the Sorceress

All Stories Belong To Anansi

Bono and Fino

Chika The Rites of Perdition

African Tales from Senegal

African Tales - Mark of Uru

Anansi and The Pot of Wisdom

Tell Me Who I Am

Bouba and Zaza Protect the Earth

The ABCs of Black History

African Story Tellers

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 12/22/2015 5:34:03 PM

Bless Impress! Give thankhs!
I&I gonna check some of these and see if I can download the files. I dont like to encourage "screen time" but having some good Iducational resources for those times would still be better than anything they are gonna find on the tell.lie.vision.

More Life + More Justice for JAH Youths

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 12/22/2015 8:11:18 PM

Yes mi sistren! Let me know di I's thoughts on those.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/1/2016 6:48:36 AM

De i dem heard of Meltrek?

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/1/2016 6:51:44 AM

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 4/1/2016 10:22:05 AM

WOW!!! NICE ONE!!!!

Give thankhs breddah! I had not heard of this one!

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 6/7/2016 1:28:27 AM

Empress did the I watch the Kirikou movie? After the I posted this reasoning I watched it, but I forgot to come forward and reason about it. What did the I think about that movie? I for one thought it was pretty strange that, at the end of the movie, the baby boy appears to be in love with the woman (who everyone had thought to be an evil sorceress), and he asks to kiss her? And she obliges? And then he instantly grows up into a man, and he brings her back to this tribe to introduce her as his wife? I am not sure what message this is supposed to bring to the youths. How does the I sIght it?

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 6/7/2016 10:04:32 AM

Greetinz sistren!

The story is more symbolic then literal.

Kirikou is magical, from birth. He comes out of his mother's womb talking and running and begins his quest to defeat "evil" from day one.

Rather then ban, outcast or kill the sorceress, he exorcizes the evil through forgiveness, redemption and love. Much like the story of Jesus and Magdalene. From her kiss, he "magically" becomes a man. In other words, through woman does a man go from boy to man. Much like the matriarchal principal that a man is anointed into a king by the crowning of his queen.

Unlike so many other fairy tales of the damsel in distress, who waits to be saved by her knight in shinning armor. Or of women being awakened by the kiss of a prince.

Kiriku, in an act of faith and redemption, removes the evil from her, and in turn, her kiss turns him into a man, and together they teach the villagers not to judge, stereotype, but to show love and overstanding. Not everything is as it seems.

That's how I sighted it :)

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 6/7/2016 11:26:52 PM

Haile I
True Istren, give thankhs for the I views. I saw the symbolic meaning of the womban bringing the boy into manhood... I guess the thing I am uncomfortable with is the baby/adult attraction and kissing, which echoes to me some of those same issues I was bringing up recently about child sexual abuse. I know this film doesn't take it so far, but I am always wary of anything even close to promoting inappropriate adult/child relationships. Maybe this comes from I&I life experiences! All in all I did like the movie, and I thought the message of redemption (and also Overstanding people who are in pain, which causes them to act in evil) was great. The baby/adult love is the only thing that raised a red flag.
I forget which cartoon it was, I think it was Bono and Fino? Or was it Bouba and Zaza Protect the Earth? Where all of the school children help clean up their yard. I liked that message. The Chika and the Rite of Perdition one was good also, I liked the fact that she was standing up for the servants who were going to be buried alive.
What about the Meltrek series, anyone able to give a synopsis?
Love All

1 - 9

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I