Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6287&start_row=11

Tough Questions

1 - 1011 - 2021
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 11/22/2015 12:43:05 PM

thank you.

really? i mean i know what it means but i i didn't know where it comes from. is it really just a term that was created in jamaica? i mean it seems to have nothing to do with the words hour or time or heure or periode. i was just interested in the background of this word when it comes to etymology .

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 11/22/2015 2:40:58 PM

It starts with the way the word hour is pronounced among the African population speaking a European languge then put the Iyaric I in front.
so u go from hour to owa to Iwa

You'll find many words not pronounced the way they are spelled in English the english language much more so among the black populations speaking in their natural relaxed twists on the language.

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 11/22/2015 4:19:12 PM

ahhhh. seen. give thanks. not so many rasta people use this term where i live. hour haur auer auwa iwa. i see haha

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 12/13/2015 9:52:58 AM

Peace,

I hope these words and works by white anti racism activists inspire others to not only courageously and honestly self reflect as individuals but also as a collective. Though the exception to the rule, they are as pebbles thrown into a greater body of water, creating ripples within their circles. Worthy of applause and respect.

"It is in the sphere of ‘abnormal’ violence that we Caucasoids excel among races. …. Intellectual violence is statistically rare among other races. Intellectual violence is typical of Caucasoids. Our wars of religion, our Inquisition, our philosophical conflicts have no parallel among yellow, red, brown or black men. It is this kind of violence that makes our history appear senseless to other men, and senseless and baffling even to ourselves.”
--- Michael Bradley "The Iceman Inheritance: Prehistoric Sources of Western Man's Racism, Sexism and Aggression"

Jane Elliott, internationally known teacher, lecturer, diversity trainer, and recipient of the National Mental Health Association Award for Excellence in Education, exposes prejudice and bigotry for what it is, an irrational class system based upon purely arbitrary factors. And if you think this does not apply to you. . . you are in for a rude awakening. 

A Class Divided

Tim Wise is an antiracist activist, essayist and author of six books on racism and white privilege.

"We are persons classified as white who oppose racism and the system of white supremacy. As such, we are committed to challenging the individual injustices and institutional inequities that exist as a result of racism, and to speaking out whenever and wherever it exists. We are also committed to challenging our own biases, inculcated by a society that has trained all white people, including us, to one degree or another, to internalize notions of our own superiority.

Code of Ethics for AntiRacist White Allies

1. Acknowledge our racial privilege.

Self-reflection matters. So does public acknowledgement. Although there are many ways in which white people can be marginalized in this society (on the basis of gender, sex, sexuality, class, religion, disability, etc.), this truth does not eradicate our racial advantage relative to people of color. As white people, we can be oppressed in these other categories and still benefit from privileges extended to white people. Acknowledging racial privilege doesn’t mean that we haven’t worked hard or that there weren’t barriers we had to overcome; it simply means that our racial identity helped us along the way. Indeed, racial privilege will even work in our favor as we speak out against racism. We will often be taken more seriously in this workprecisely because we are white, and we should be clear on that point.

Code of Ethics

White Privilege, Racism, White Denial and the Cost of Inequality

Messenger: Jah Seeker Sent: 12/13/2015 6:41:08 PM

Dear Rastagoddes, i answer these questions to the best of my current abilities (it's pretty late and don't have a lot of time).
I tried to answer them as humbly and honestly as possible. All the best.

Rastafari!

* Why are Afrikan people the most discriminated against? Why have we suffered the greatest oppression? Was it the "curse of Ham"...did we "fall" from grace" What exactly was it?

The lust and greed for resources and expansion led colonizers on a brutal path that flattened everything along the way. Their ignorance and greed made them believe Africans were somehow inferior and only good for free labor. Also, the military advantage enabled them to dominate so strongly and they were ruthless in acquiring land and possesions. So i wouldn't say you fell from grace, just became a victim of ignorance,fear and greed.

• Can you admit that there is a phenomenon known as White Skin Privilege? And how do you personally benefit from it?

Yes, in a system run by white politicans, white news reporters, teachers, history that is WHITEwashed, i naturally have advantage over people of black color in most places. Unfortunate but true.

• What is your definition of White Supremacy?

A system created by white people, for white people and discriminate against people of color in the process.

• Do you agree that “the sins of forefathers” are passed down generations? If so, how do you reconcile this within yourself and being part of RasTafari (a black movement) and what have you done to cleanse that “karma” from your livity?

No, i cannot agree with this. I can obviously say that extreme injustice has been committed by people with the same skin color as I, but in no way do i know these people, do i share any views,ideas,religion or perspective whatsoever with these people. Also, i do not really know what MY forefathers did or where they were. I don't believe it affects my karma because these are not my actions and i completely stray from such racist ideas.

• How do you feel, REALLY feel when we speak of the Divinity of Blackness? The scientific, archeological, historical, alchemical, biological, cultural and spiritual aspects of melanin?

Two things come to mind:
1st: I don't believe anyone is more divine based solely on race,religion or color. I see the emphasis of Black divinity more as a call for complete equality with the white man in Babylon.
2nd: To me it is emphasizing the fact that the Black people were the first people on Earth. Their contribution to science, medicine, spirituality, education etc. is immesurable and a clear statement why African can never be segregated of inferior to whites. If we were to look at the general contribution to humanity, that the white race would be the inferior one . So in this respect i see the Black race as divine. THe pioneers of virtually everyhing we have today.
(Maybe i haven't been as clear as i can but it's pretty late and i'm sure you'll understand)

• How do you TRULY and FUNDAMENTALY feel about the evils of European peoples, historically/collectively speaking? Are they a “thing of the past” or are they ongoing?

Ongoing.

• What are you WORKS towards Afrikan Liberation? How do you address and rectify the issues of racism against Mama Afrika’s children?

Nothing to date.

• How much have you studied about InI history? Aside from the bible and/or the Kebra Negast? How many of you have read Afrocentric/Pan Afrikan works by Dr. Yosef Ben Jochannan? John Henrik Clarke? Any Afrocentric studies? If so, which?

Have read some stuff on spirituality and way of life, but not yet as much as i hope to. The most profound book i have read to date was The Wretched of the Earth by Franz Fanon. Great read!

• Is the fact that the Creator CHOSE Afrikan People as the Mothers and Fathers of Civilization and Humanity simply a random thing? A sort of biological or environmental outcome, or is there a DIVINE reason behind it? Same question for the creation of white people, was it a random outcome? A result of albinism? A possible lesson to the rest of the world? What are the REASONS you sight that InI are the original godz and parents of humanity, and what is the role of this most unruly and violent last child of creation?

Don't know.

• When you hear us reason about ancestral connection to Mama Afrika and all that RasTafari stands for. The Divine “Pearl” spoken of in the Kebra Negast, linking InI to the original people, a birthright to ancient cultures and traditions, can you identify? If so, how??

Directly, no. If i go deeper however, we all stem from Africa so i believe we are one,we can all trace back to the original people and the ancient culture and traditions before we separated due to various circumstances.

• Are our ancient and esoteric Afrikan sciences (Vodun, Santeria, Kemet, the so-called “worship” of nature) to be considered….pagan? Against “God”? Do they contradict RasTafari?

I am not educated enough in this field to comment.

• What is your FIRST thought when you sight this images:

A member of an old African tribe performing some indigenous ritual of some sort.

• Are you “color blind? Would RasTafari be better if we simply got over moved on from the issues of slavery and the evils of European history? Do you subconsciously wish that Rasta was not an Afrikan movement, therefore not having to ask yourselves or face these difficult questions and issues?

Yes i am color blind. No, i do not think Africans should move on from such issues, as you have faced extreme prosecutions and injustices because of your color skin, so you should demand an apology, reparations and be completely aided until one day you are economically and politically equal to the white world. (in every segment) I do sometimes face difficulties as a white in movement that has African roots and deeply rooted in Africa, but no, i never wanted to change it.

* What are your thoughts on InI ancient tradition of POLYGAMY?

I do not agree with that certain tradition.

• Why has there never been any significant world inspiring European holy men and divine prophets? Why have they been melanated people? What is the common denominator? Melanin? Coincidence? Random happenings?

Don't know.

• How do you fit in under the banner of the following fundamental principles of Rastafari:
o 1) Repatriation – Back to Africa Movement
Help where i can.
o 2) Divinity of Blackness
Promote where i can.
o 3) Haile Selassie as the Father of Pan Afrikanism, organization of African Unity and loyalty to his people first and foremost?
Accept him as one of the most important and influential people for the integration of Africans and giving them a sense of worth and pride, doing everything in his power to improve the lives of his own people as well as Africans everywhere.
o 4) Marcus Garvey
An essential figure for the upliftment of black people and recognised as a messiah ushering in the arrival of Haile Selassie I.

• If you already have, or plan to have black children, how will you raise them to identify themselves?

No, not likely. (Simply because of circumstances)

• When you hear InI chant “Roots & Kulcha”, what does that mean to you? What roots and culture do you identify with?

It means returning to a lifestyle and moral/religious/spiritual systems created in Africa. Emphasizing the true worth of African people by remembering ancient civilizations and ways of life before the colonizers came. It means literally, returning to you glorious roots!

• What are your thoughts when you hear Afrikans suggest a temporary separation until we rebuild ourselves to our original Ivine position?

Don't have an opinion yet. However i do understand the arguments for it.

• Was your introduction to RasTafrai through a black mate or significant other? If so, should the union be dissolved, would you still trod RasTafari way?

No. However, even in such a hypothetical situation, for me Rastafari transcends one person or skin color, so definitely still trod!

• Were you first introduced through Reggae Music? Ganja smoking? African spiritual system? What EXACTLY about RasTafari touched you deeply?

Ganja smoking and reggae music. At first had practically no knowledge of Rastafari and Selassie, but for some reason intuitively just started exploring and researching and pretty soon fell in love with all the aspects of Rastafari.

• Outside of RasTafari, what are your view about Black People? Do you cross the street when you see a young black man coming in your direction? Clutch your purse a little closer to you? If so, why?

No, i view them as human beings, simple. Maybe a cliche answer, but there is really not much more to it for me.

• Are we, as Afrikan People, too angry? Too stuck on the past? Do we “carry a chip on our shoulder”. Are we racist?

No, you have every right to demand repatriation and reperarations for the injustices committed against you.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 12/14/2015 6:31:24 AM

Give thanks for taking the time and for the honesty. I agree, Fanon's book IS a great read!

Are you familiar with Tim Wise, the white anti racism activist? Any thoughts?

Messenger: Jah Seeker Sent: 12/14/2015 1:29:36 PM

No, but i will check it out. Give thanks.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/31/2019 3:15:51 PM

Blessed

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 1/31/2019 4:25:41 PM

GA, you are a necromancer lol but I aint mad at ya.

"* Why are Afrikan people the most discriminated against? Why have we suffered the greatest oppression? Was it the "curse of Ham"...did we "fall" from grace" What exactly was it?"

Although this may be controversial I'm going to say it anyway.

We probably did it first.

Why do I say this?

I believe the original people were brown. If you google the oldest known people/tribe you're going to see people who are brown with features that are a perfect mix of all races.

As certain traits started appear we may have seen them as being "bad mutations" or disease.

Since we couldn't treat these issues with medicine the logical thing for a tribal group would have been to isolate the "infected".

or in other words... quarantine.

In hindsight this may be wrong but at least I don't think we killed them. Many mammals actually do commit infanticide on the basis of illness.

If you read in the bible how leprosy was treated it was considered to clean (no longer active) when the skin was all white.

Which means before it started the skin was brown and it consumed (like a form of skin cancer) the melanin in the skin.

Even today I have to admit that wen I see someone with vitaligo its a strange experience and its hard not to see them through it.
I understand why Michael Jackson did what he did because it was better in his mind to be seen as white than to be seen as a kind of sickness.

Note: Biblical leprosy is not the same as modern day leprosy.

I forget where I heard this from but in the bible lepers were sent out of the camp to the north.

If this practice was standard then you would have had people with the same mutation being pushed in the same geographic locations and they would have reproduced among themselves.

During this process the mutation would have become the norm and the melanin would have itself mutated to survive the disease until there was no longer the disease; just the mutation

At some point these people would form their own identity and history and disconnect from the fact that their ancestors were brown

Eventually they would encounter us for trade and we, to them, would look diseased because we were different from their norm. And at this point we still had albinos but not the product of generations of breeding people with these skin diseases.

So we then became black to their white. (I know terms for black were being used in Africa before they came along)

And given the choice of whom to favor in their own survival they chose their current color over their roots, creating the "white race".

This is my opinion of what may have happened; not what I'm presenting as fact. I don't think anyone knows for sure what happened that long ago. I'm not suggesting black skin is superior necessarily.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/31/2019 9:36:14 PM

I love to stir the pot yes..... bless up XP iah.

The oldest race in the world the khoisan are not black black but more brownskin so you MAY be right. I don't know how we would ever know to be fair? Could we tell the melanin concentration of Lucy from available DNA?

1 - 1011 - 2021

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I