Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6277&start_row=1

Shotel Sword

1 - 3
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 11/17/2015 9:10:56 PM

----------------------------------
A very fine quality Ethiopian sword 'Shotel'. Presented by the Emperor of Ethiopia Haile Selassie I to Harold Baxter Kittermaster, the Governor of British Somaliland in 1927, together with a shield presented in the armoury section of this site. The hilt of one piece of solid Rhino horn ( some chipping), the pommel with a large filigree silver-gilt mount. The curved blade of British manufacture with etched foliate decoration to both sides and a panel of Amharic in Ethiopic script. The scabbard covered with purple velvet and mounted with bands of filigree silver-gilt, the chape with some tassels remaining. This sword is for sale seperately or together with the shield mentioned previously with the same provenance.
----------------------------------

I thought this was interesting from a historical perspective, I read that this was the weapon of many Ethiopian warriors during the medieval ages and also at the Battle of Adowa in 1896. Ras Makonnen carried one and Haile Selassie I presented one as a gift to the Governor of British Somaliland.

Messenger: KnowThySelf333 Sent: 11/17/2015 9:45:02 PM

NICE

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 11/17/2015 10:09:13 PM

Yeah...real nice!

1 - 3

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I