Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6222&start_row=1

Snuff and Rasta livity

1 - 1011 - 19
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 9/29/2015 4:14:40 AM

Do Rasta take snuff...???

Snuff is part of Afrikan spirituality and helps in getting in trance state.

But I heard it is made of tobacco leaves.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 9/29/2015 5:41:41 AM

It's tobacco your right. Rasta don't promote them thing and don't snort nuttn! They say is better than smoking it still :/

No snuff 'hit' for I.

King, tobacco is not original to Africa. Europeans are said to have brought it from the Americas in the 15th century

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 9/29/2015 5:59:54 AM

Yes I

Tobacco is foreign to Afrika but why is it dat traditional healers use it in communing with the ancestors?

The snuff is also used for bathing to chase away bad spirits.

So if one Rasta would be a traditional healer how would him commune with ankhcestors?

Messenger: KnowThySelf333 Sent: 9/29/2015 10:01:30 AM

The first known people to sniff tobacco were indigenous tribes of Brazil.

Europeans must have learned about tobacco from Natives and didnt come up with the idea themselves.

I think you understand the negative effects on your health through nicotine...Although probably not half as bad as regular cigarettes with 500 additives.

Still I think no man can decide this for you.
If you are a traditional healer than thats just how it goes.But then I dont think they use it very often so as to have any noticable impact on health.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 9/29/2015 10:13:07 AM

Some Native tribes also use "Coca leaves" and some East Africans use "chat" for spiritual puposes both are stimulants but to much of anything will hv negative affect.
They CHEW the leaves tho, not snuff it!

Alot of "traditional" cultures changed upon meeting Europeans

How were I communing with the Incestors before snuff?

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 9/29/2015 11:00:43 AM

Yes I...I can feel every Is thought on this issue.
Snuff maybe used to bath instead of snuffing.

I haven't use it though but many traditional man I met encourage I to use it whether internal or external but only when communing with ancestors.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 9/30/2015 6:42:00 PM

I remember reading about the Dogon of Mali where this guy wanted to interview an elder about Dogon knowledge and traditions. That interviewer say the Dogon elder said he would first light up some tobacco "because you tobacco is good for the memory!"
Some studies have "shown" that tobacco is beneficial to the brain dealing with memory, and to certain illnesses like dementia, Alzheimer's and certain others so that may be the areas of the brain dat deal with da ancestors?

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 10/7/2015 12:54:41 AM

Yes I

Snuff nuh Iree fi smoke but Iree to have it in ya home or ya pocket ca it is said it can chase away evil spirits and can bring fortune to di user and can also connect I to ankhcestors even without smoking thru libation.

I remember one Idren saying one Sangoma would apply it the whole body when going to chase duppies or strong evil spirits to protect himself

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 10/7/2015 4:59:25 AM

How can something which isn't native to Africa. Be used, be needed..... To connect AFRICANS with I native ancestors..... Think about it

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 10/7/2015 7:57:45 AM

It depends with the ancestor you are deal with my lord,sum of the ancestors adapted di snuff ting in that time.

When man go inna trance and possessed by an ancestor spirit,the spirit might ask for snuff,others might ask for traditional beer,others may ask for kind a cloths depending on the Irit.

The plant might have been exported to Afrika though but in I culture it is a mainly used and very powerfull.

1 - 1011 - 19

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I