Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6209&start_row=1

QUEEN KHALIFA: THE AFRAKAN EMPRESS OF CALIFORNIA

1 - 1011 - 12
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 9/16/2015 7:42:20 PM

QUEEN KHALIFA (AKA CALIFIA/CALAFIA) THE AFRAKAN EMPRESS OF CALIFORNIA – BY JIDE UWECHIA

California, the land of the ever-living Muurish Empress Calafia/Califia. Calafia was the title of each empress. California was her land. She was known to be dark of skin, of the muurish nationality, and ruled over Islands and Islands of afrakan people, from California, Baja, to Hawaii.

A muurish Island, ruled by women. It was first mentioned in the records of the western European christians in the seventh century, and retold “The Song of Roland” where a passing mention of a place called Califerne, was made perhaps because it was the caliph’s domain. See (Putnam, Ruth (1917). Herbert Ingram Priestley. ed. California: the name. Berkeley: University of California)

Spanish conquistadors told stories about a mystical afrakan muurish queen that ruled a State of California, situated in the same location as the present day California. The modern state of State California continues the legacy and the memory of this great afrakan Queendom and its Queens.

(Califia, Queen of California painting by Arthur Wright)

The Muurs and Calafia

Khalifa means God’s ruler (in Muurish Arabic).

The story of Calafia was later re-narrated in the book The Adventures of Esplandián, a book written in 1500, probably based on stories gleaned from the old Muurish seamen of Spain, Portugal, Holland, Belgium and England.

Calafia is introduced as “… a regal Muurish afrakan woman, courageous, strong of limb and large in person, full in the bloom of womanhood, the most beautiful of a long line of queens who ruled over the mythical realm of California.”

She supposedly commanded a fleet of ships with which she ruled and maintained peace in the surrounding lands, and islands including Baja and Hawaii. She reportedly kept an aerial defense force of “griffins”, and other fabulous animals which were native to California, trained to defend the land against invanders.

She was so powerful she could project her imperial power over the seas of the mediteranean at will. The Esplandian narrates that Calafia maintained cultural and trading contacts with the Muurs of Africa. It told of her wars in the mediterranean seas,in Anatolia, the Byzantine empire and in southern Europe. Seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calafia#cite_ref-Sabir2004_23-1

According to the author of The Adventures of Esplandián:

“Know ye that at the right hand of the Indies there is an island called California, very close to that part of the Terrestrial Paradise, which was inhabited by dark brown women without a single man among them, and they lived in the manner of Amazons. They were robust of body with strong passionate hearts and great virtue. The island itself is one of the wildest in the world on account of the bold and craggy rocks.”(Putnam, Ruth (1917). Herbert Ingram Priestley. ed. California: the name. Berkeley: University of California)

The crusader and conqueror of the territory of California Hernán Cortés and his men were familiar with the book. Cortés quoted liberally from the book and it did have an influence on his decision to look for the Island of California. As governor of Mexico he sent out an ill-fated expedition of two ships, one guided by the famous pilot Fortún Ximénez. That expedition did not fare well at all and most of the ships and the men were lost.

In 1535, Cortés led an expedition back to the land of Calafia or California, and decided to re-named it Santa Cruz. However, that name did not stick, as the natives, and the Muurs and the dark brown Indians and red Indians and so-called whites continued to use the ancient and old name of the land “California”.

Cortes himself and his contemporaries appeared to have used the name too. In 1550 and 1556, the name appears three times in reports about Cortés written by Giovanni Battista Ramusio.

Thus over the years of increasing conquest, colonization and rape of the land of California, the ancient land of the muurs has held onto its name and identity, in the knowledge that one day, it will be as it was in the beginning.

African-Americans and Queen Califia

In 2004, the African American Historical and Cultural Society Museum in San Francisco assembled a Queen Califia exhibit, curated by John William Templeton, featuring works by artists such as TheArthur Wright and James Gayles; artistic interpretations of Calafia.

The show displayed a 1936 treatment of Lucille Lloyd’s “California Allegory” triptych, with Queen Califia as the central figure. Templeton said that “Califia is a part of California history, and she also reinforces the fact that African Americans had always been in California. See, Sabir, Wanda. “Wanda’s Picks”. San Francisco Bayview. Retrieved January 2, 2011.http://sigidiart.com/Docs/WandasPicksCalifia.htm

“Califia is a part of California history, and she also reinforces the fact that when Cortes named this place California, he had 300 Afrakan people with him. And throughout the whole Spanish-Mexican war, 40 percent of the population was black.” .

Templeton pointed out that most of the navigators on the explorations to the New World were African, because Africans knew how to get the New World.

For instance, Columbus had a afrakannavigator. Muurish folks had been going back and forth between Africa and America from the dawn of time. All they had to do was get in the wind right off the West Coast of Africa.

A Muurish (African) Emperor Abu Bukari took 1,000 ships to the New World in the 1300s. So Muurish navigators and sea men were highly sought in those days that the previously land-bounded Europeans were in their infancy in navigational and maritime sciences.

A afrakan man used to own the San Fernando Valley. That was Pio de Jesus Pico (1801-1894). He was also the last Mexican governor of California. In total, in the 1800s, there were atleast four afrakan governors of the state of California. See Sabir, Wanda. “Wanda’s Picks”. San Francisco Bayview. Retrieved January 2, 2011http://sigidiart.com/Docs/WandasPicksCalifia.htm

Dr. William E. Hoskins, director of the museum, said that very few people know the story of Queen Califia. He said, “One of the things we’re trying to do is let people have the additional insight and appreciation for the contributions of African Americans to this wonderful country and more specifically to the state of California”. See Sabir, Wanda. “Wanda’s Picks”. San Francisco Bayview. Retrieved January 2, 2011http://sigidiart.com/Docs/WandasPicksCalifia.htm

Source: From Kemetic Dreams, Tumblr

I Salute this AMAZING HER-story making sista!

Messenger: LiberatedSoul23 Sent: 9/17/2015 2:42:32 PM

@rastagoddess can you email me?

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 9/17/2015 4:39:10 PM

As an Empress living in California I find this especially interesting! Give thankhs Ras Goddess! Misgana

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 9/17/2015 4:58:49 PM

Greetings LiberatedSoul23!

What is di I's email address, I'll be happy to contact you!

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 9/17/2015 5:55:35 PM

Ditto Jah Child...I'm also in Cali! :)

Messenger: LiberatedSoul23 Sent: 9/18/2015 10:41:16 AM

Twishalatrice@gmail.com

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 9/26/2015 2:07:58 PM

Sacred love + honor Sistas...
Ras Goddess which part of Calafia is the I residing in now? I down here in San Diego giving thankhs for the rain we been having recently and the sunshine now, making all the seeds grow! More Life

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 9/28/2015 5:58:16 PM

Greetinz and RAspect JAH Child! :)

I'm in Long Beach!

No rain for the last few days. Would love to see some!

Messenger: Raybob Sent: 10/1/2015 12:38:47 AM

This post goes hand in hand with the one I made here All Israel is oppressed of the many tribes of Israel scattered around the globe, especially native Americas, Samoans, Aborigines, etc. Isreal had 12 sons, but 4 sons were from mothers of other nationalities, thus some Israel tribes had wavy hair, not curly.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 10/1/2015 2:16:15 PM

Oneness All
Ras Goddess, Iwombman and some of the southern Sistren here would love to plan a time to gather together and share a reasoning + vibration... LB and SD are too close not to =)
If the I link Iwombman email I&I can reason upon it... amanda.elaine.burton@gmail.com
Give thANKHs for the Inity of all Wombman Iverywhere... Love to da Impress Twisha as well, wish the I was as close as Impress RasG =)

Idren Raybob I not sure what oppression or Israel have to do with this thread! This Iducation is about the glory of a tribe of Afrikan Empresses living in a (then island) Pacific territory, which is still today known by her name. And I can also say that her glory still resides here, where the sunkissed hills are like the fertile and feminine curves of Mama Earth. The story of Queen Califia iylahstrates fact that Afrikans were in all continents before Europeans were... But does it show that Israel is comprised of Native Americans, Samoans, and Africans? Not necessarily.
Please elaborate on what comparison the I was trying to make?
Selam + Haile

1 - 1011 - 12

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I