Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6198&start_row=1

How To Wash Hair When Freeforming?

1 - 8
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: DeTuff I Sent: 9/3/2015 9:04:22 PM

And how long does it take?
How often should I wash I hair?
How do I keep I-self distracting waiting for growth? Lol.

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 9/4/2015 2:17:39 AM

how long?...

it depends. if you decide to get it done in a barber shop you can have dreads immediately. but i have to say that those "fake" two strand/ twisted and corn row dreadlocks are part of fashion and thats not what rasta is really all about. like you seem to know...you ca just throw away your comb and let it grow to get neglect locks. it depends on the lenght of your hair. if your hair reach your shoulder already it might only need a few weeks to see the difference and four or five month to get the first locks. i think a year and a few extra month are realistic then. if your hair is really short it might need almost 2 years.

washing...

i would start to wash my hair every day for over a week at least and then i would start to change my routine slowly but surely into a two day/ four day/ six day system and finally 7 day system. its helpful to avoid dandruff once the locks are growing. i would also use natural shampoos. shampoos that are made without certain chemicals can even be found in some supermarkets sometimes if you look carefully. other wise i would buy it in a health store.

distracting...

its just a natural process. you wont look like bob marley tomorrow. so if you are afraid to explain your lifestyle use a basecap and if you dont have the patient just focus on your rasta lifestyle. beeing a rasta doesnt mean that you have to get the wildest dreadlocks within a short time. to me its more about the lifestyle itself.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 9/4/2015 5:58:49 AM

Don't be scared to wash with african type of hair. Washing and drying is what causes the lock. Will look ruffer at 1st and then more natty within a few days, seperating/parting as u wish

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 9/4/2015 3:44:20 PM

As we say, "one year and you're clear"...in other words, it'll take approximately one year before your locs are well formed and looking like how you'd like them to.

I found out early on that too much twisting will cause them to thin out, so in the 22 years I've been growing mine, I typically twist about once a month. I use Apple Cider Vinegar (diluted with water) to keep scalp healthy, PH balanced and clean. I also use Jamaican Castor Oil for hair/scalp health. I don't use shampoos, but use Dr. Bonner's Castille Soap to wash mine (the peppermint one, it tingles on your head and washes out clean)

No need to find a distraction while they grow. Trust me, after 22 years, I suggest that you enjoy every phase, from short to long and everything in between. Cherish the patience it will inevitably teach you! :)

Messenger: DeTuff I Sent: 9/5/2015 12:30:21 AM

Alright, I hair is about 1 inch if it was straight lol.
It's starting to coil a little after just 3 weeks and I hair grows quickly

Messenger: DeTuff I Sent: 9/5/2015 10:40:54 AM

Btw, very catchy phrase lol :)

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 9/5/2015 8:31:30 PM

RastaGoddess, there is no need to twist your locks once a month or ever. Your hair will lock itself and the natural locks is always better, stronger and more effective for Heights than those interfered with by hands.

Messenger: Evison Matafale Skræling Sent: 9/23/2015 2:39:35 PM

I and I Idren of JAH,
The wearing of dreadlocks is very closely associated with I movement, though not universal among, nor exclusive to, its adherents. Rastafari maintain that locks are blessed by Leviticus 21:5 ("They shall not make baldness upon their head, neither shall they shave off the corner of their beard, nor make any cuttings in the flesh.") and the Nazirite law in Numbers 6:5 ("All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no razor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the Lord, he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow."). The Dreadlocks represents A lion's mane and Yeshua (Jesus) in his Kingly Character. this same old story again.

It has been suggested (e.g., Campbell 1985) that the first Rasta locks were copied from Kenya in 1953, when images of the independence struggle of the feared Mau Mau insurgents, who grew their "dreaded locks" while hiding in the mountains, appeared in newsreels and other publications that reached Jamaica. However, a more recent study by Barry Chevannes[47] has traced the first hairlocked Rastas to a subgroup first appearing in 1949, known as Youth Black Faith.

In 1844, the trade of coolies was expanded to the colonies in the West Indies, including Jamaica, Trinidad and Demerara, where the Asian population was soon a major component of the island demographic. The Indian coolies brought their culture with them which includes, prominently, the wearing of dreadlocks by holy men. The
god Shiva of the Indian trinity wears dreadlocks.

There have been ascetic groups within a variety of world faiths that have at times worn similarly matted hair.[citation needed] In addition to the Nazirites of Judaism[citation needed] and the sadhus of Hinduism, it is worn among some sects of Sufi Islam, notably the Baye Fall sect of Mourides,[49] and by some Ethiopian Orthodox monks in Christianity,[50] among others. Some of the very earliest Christians may also have worn this hairstyle; particularly noteworthy are descriptions of James the Just, "brother of Jesus" and first Bishop of Jerusalem, whom Hegesippus (according to Eusebius and Jerome) described as a Nazirite who never once cut his hair. The length of a Rasta's locks is a measure of wisdom, maturity, and knowledge in that it can indicate not only the Rasta's age, but also his/her time as a Rasta.

Also, according to the Bible, Samson was a Nazirite who had "seven locks". Rastafari argue that these "seven locks" could only have been dreadlocks,as it is unlikely to refer to seven strands of hair.

Locks have also come to symbolize the Lion of Judah (its mane) and rebellion against Babylon. In the United States, several public schools and workplaces have lost lawsuits as the result of banning locks. Safeway is an early example, and the victory of eight children in a suit against their Lafayette, Louisiana school was a landmark decision in favor of Rastafari rights. More recently, in 2009, a group of Rastafari settled a federal lawsuit with the Grand Central Partnership in New York City, allowing them to wear their locks in neat ponytails, rather than be forced to "painfully tuck in their long hair" in their uniform caps.

Rastafari associate dreadlocks with a spiritual journey that one takes in the process of locking their hair (growing hairlocks). It is taught that patience is the key to growing locks, a journey of the mind, soul and spirituality. Its spiritual pattern is aligned with the Rastafari movement. The way to form natural dreadlocks is to allow hair to grow in its natural pattern, without cutting, combing or brushing, but simply to wash it with pure water and herbs.

For Rastafari the razor, the scissors and the comb are the three Babylonian or Roman inventions.So close is the association between dreadlocks and Rastafari, that the two are sometimes used synonymously. In reggae music, a follower of Rastafari may be referred to simply as a "dreadlocks" or "natty (natural) dread".

Many non-Rastafari of African descent wear locks as an expression of pride in their ethnic identity, or simply as a hairstyle, and take a less purist approach to developing and grooming them. The wearing of dreads also has spread among people of other ethnicities. Locks worn for stylish reasons are sometimes referred to as "bathroom locks", to distinguish them from the kind that are purely natural. Rastafari purists also sometimes refer to such dreadlocked individuals as "wolves", as in "a wolf in sheep's clothing", especially when they are seen as trouble-makers who might potentially
discredit or infiltrate RastafarI.
I and I wash 1 a week. Pure water and aloe only.

"FREE-FORM"
SEEN?
Mo`a Anbesa Ze'imnegede Yihuda

1 - 8

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I