Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6178&start_row=1

Story of Abraham

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 37
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Jah Bless Sent: 8/2/2015 11:49:34 PM

Hey people,

good be on this forum, only joined now but I have a question about rastafari..
It is Abrahamic just like christianity, judaism, islam etc in that it accepts the story of abraham.

I've always been troubled by this story, I find that it can't possibly be depicting the same righteous god that is described elsewhere in the bible. God essentially tells Abraham that he must sacrifice his son Isaac, to which he obliges. He brings his son up to a cliff and just when he is about to murder him, god tells him that he doesn't need to because he passed the test. His faith in god was being tested and he would have killed his own son if he was required to do so.

So, what message are we getting from this? That blind faith is a better trait than moral integrity? If god told me to kill my son I'd tell him to fuck off.

Now of course, this is only one story of many, but it's almost as if the bible is depicting two different gods. One of them being righteous and one being corrupt and evil.

In gnosticism, they believe that the demiurge poses as god to trick mankind into sin. If you were the devil, surely the most cunning trick you could pull is convince people you are god?

Do you think Jah/Yahweh/God would really ask someone to kill their own son or was that story a trickery? What would you do in that situation?

bless

Messenger: Christ Conscious Sent: 8/3/2015 3:42:38 PM

Blessed love and greetings.

There is no text in world spirituality, from the Bhagavad Gita to the Dhammapada to the Bible, that can be meaningfully grasped by material eyes. These texts capture the highest form of knowledge, esoteric narration, and sacred wisdom recorded by masters of transcendence and meditation. Spiritual literature ought to be approached with this reverence, the understanding that there is a divine subtlety that is not immediate to neophytes and common readers.

The Bhagavad Gita teaches us that no matter how hard you endeavor, one will not even be able to see the divine meanings in things without the guidance of a personal spiritual master to open the subtle eyes. This is something to keep in mind as we humble ourselves to learn the eternal teachings offered in the timeless scriptures.

My personal spiritual guider, humble Bobo, has instructed me on how to approach the Bible, and truly it goes beyond reading stories and sentences. It is to seek JAH first in a deep and personal meditation. It is to go within yourself and listen closely to JAH who sits in InI heart. The text is a sacred inspiration to connect InI to the living God. This is one RastafarI perspective on how to receive the messages of the Bible.

InI concern ourselves with the living God who dwells in InI flesh and lives now. It is from this position only that the narratives in the Bible are to be overstood, including the narrative of Abraham.

Blessed love!

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 8/3/2015 3:55:20 PM

Jah bless I agree with all of your doubts on the Abraham story and the wicked accounts of Bible God within the OT

This has no bearing on what makes I and I Rastafari. RasTafari is not a religion and religious texts such as the Bible are not a requirement..... No God for I would do any of those things mentioned

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 8/3/2015 9:09:52 PM

Abraham

The mythical Abraham/Ibrahim is another fictional character manufactured by the whites and their offspring using the titles and functions of Tehuti.

Tehuti has the ancient title "Aprehui" meaning judge (ap/wp) of the two combatants (rehui--reh means combatant, rehui means two combatants). Aprehui was corrupted into Aprehuim, Abrahuim, Ibrahim, Abraham, by the whites and their offspring. The Two combatants are the Gods Heru and Set.

The etymology Ab-Ra-Hem was popularized by Gerald Massey and has been used by many scholars in our community. But, it is a misconception.

http://www.assatashakur.org/forum/kemetic-neteru/13438-kemetic-origins-fictional-characters.html

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 8/4/2015 10:31:00 AM

If not taken from Brahma the Indian/Vedic deity

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 8/4/2015 12:43:54 PM

i have something to sayabout it too.

today i have shaved my beard. it was terrible. but i think somehow it was a beautiful experience as well. for over ten years ive walked around clean shaved. but within the last couple of weeks i have grown myself a long beard. it was also part of the nazaritve vow i have followed for real for over 30 days to the best of my ability. but i hope in certain cases i have finally found out whats the difference between enlightment and enLIEghtment. it feels like the truth is in me now. maybe its just because i got used to the righteous way.

i think a shaved face doesnt look clean at all now. it looks sick. i ask myself "where is all of my hair?". so now i truely believe that its your connection to nature, a blessing of god, the antenna of your consciousness, the physical expression of your personaility which represent the colors of your being from without, the best and divine hairstyle, your character and charisma because you jsut look how you are meant to be without the razor, your identity as the owener of this "hairstyle", the way you are and it shows where you stand in life when it comes to your mind.

so i want to say that altough there are differences within the rasta movement i think rasta in general is still the way to go. thats the reason why im a whiteman and i say im a rasta. because thats where i am spritually. like ive said many times before. i checked different religions and never got used to the doctrines. but rasta with the importance of HIM, prophets and the possibility to reason about history and religion race all in one is the best to me right now. rasta means following the right lifestyle. all comes together in rasta.

now you could say that those things are right but rasta still is an african movement. but i think that the essential things can touch everybody and altough i can never be black i want to support it to the max.

so rasta is no religion. if you find the importance of HIM in you then you have found rasta as a white guy. be conscious about your identity no matter who you are. keep on reason and decide what you want to believe. i think that concept can be in harmony with rasta. if you dont want to follow rasta, do what you want but rasta tells you nuff things. its just a fact. everything important comes together in rasta.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 8/4/2015 7:26:16 PM

Story of Abraham^!

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 8/5/2015 3:24:31 AM

the question is about bible god and the almighty god rastas believe in and he doesnt know which god is meant so with my posting ive just said "nope. you dont need to follow the bible to be a ras".

i say its all about HIM, about the prophets of the rasta movement and african knowledge together with a specific lifestyle. thats whats more important to rasta i think. but when it comes to abraham and his test i say everybody has to decide for himself.

i dont trust the bible (completely). maybe there was abraham. maybe they have used the story as a tool and some even say theyve just made it all up. i think trusting god without limits isnt that bad itself. thats my opinion on it as it was asked.

Messenger: Jah Bless Sent: 8/5/2015 8:57:42 PM

Thank you for your reply. That does clear things up for me :) You are right, I am a white man, and only recently have I become more interested in rastafari. I wouldn't go as far to call myself rasta because that's just not where I'm at right now, but I respect the words of HIM and the rasta movement.

Blessings

Messenger: DeTuff I Sent: 9/19/2015 5:35:06 PM

How should I gain Innerstanding of the Bible?
And does the I have an email address? I'd like to reason on Hinduism and it's concepts

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 37

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I