Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6161&start_row=11

Yoga

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 126
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 7/20/2015 11:09:56 AM

i think its very interesting how some rastas mix those believes (third eye etc.) with christianity.

to me, avoiding labelling and make all religions come together is the best solution to me. ive even read a book about connecting different things of the different religions but the guy who has written it was a little bit too influenced by buddhism for me. he believed in certain jewish teachings, in jesus, in the prophet of islam and certain "pagan" teachings but he conludes that god was the state of nirvana.

to this day im still not sure about sexuality. i know this sentence seems funny. but im not a little boy, a virgin or a guy whos influenced by homosexuels or disgusting things like that but i know that some rastas like the concept of having more than only one wife and sex isnt something negative but if the third eye thing comes from africa you know that activating your chakras is all about avoiding to have sex to a certain extent.

i know that especially those celebrities who really stick to the rule that "sex sells" believe in this stuff and that they want to distract, control, influence and damage us with their perversions but once you are a little bit conscious about it i dont know if one should live like a monch to activate the third eye you know. i dont want to be ashamed for natural things and i think those feelings of shame are caused by the western industry. they make us watch all of their dusgusting stuff and then we should be ashamed of ourself for watching too much of it like "i really dont like them but i have to watch them". thats why they have those "it girls" and sexual content.

but can we empower ourself and reach higher ites by following those yoga teachings?

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 7/24/2015 2:35:40 PM

Ises + Love
I thank the I for the interest and questions on this topic. I will soon answer the I in detail, in JAH guidance.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 7/24/2015 3:10:16 PM

Yoga to I is one of the many methods of Iditation. I do not practice Yoga but appreciate its purpose

Good thread

Messenger: Lemuel II Sent: 7/24/2015 9:52:56 PM

Thank you, GA :)

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 7/25/2015 3:20:43 PM

well ... but i think you have to be very careful.

ive heard that doing yoga can cause some obsession like nightmares. its like being confronted with your deepest inner feelings.

it has nothing to do with yoga but ive even heard that reiki can open the gate to another dimensions and many people who have tried this were haunted by demons afterwards.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 8/1/2015 4:53:41 PM

Give thankhs to the Almighty for the opportunity to respond to these thoughts.

"if you want to do it you can do it but you must know that you touch a new culture, a new religion by doing yoga.[...]yoga is part of a spiritual lifestyle and of a religion of the east. you leave your culture."

It depends what the I meant by "new". Yoga is certainly not new in the grand sense of time, although the discovery of its practices may be unfamiliar for some people in this lifetime. A part of an ancient culture, yes, which in a way is religious, in that it includes certain symbols, ideas, and repetitive practices, yes. So it is true that people should be aware what they are stepping into, which is a vast, ancient, and deeply esoteric practice and storehouse of information. Although whether the culture or the so called religion of Yogic practice should be reserved for certain people is debatable, given that the ancient practices and teachings seem to run as deep currents throughout human history as far as we have currently traced it. Personally I have seen these teachings benefit people of all walks of life, which shows I&I that yoga is a positive thing that all people can be invited to learn from.

"i dont know about using certain versions of certain positions to get rid of ones pain in the back for example but if you do yoga consciously you are following the principles of activating chakras with your inner serpaints to open your third eye and things like that."

I realeyes that the I reasoningtime has a conception of serpents as an evil thing. But as the serpent is part of nature, and in fact a very powerful part, the snake itself in many forms is a positive image, noting wiseMinds and spirituality. So just because the Genesis story demonizes serpents, the idea that there is a coiled line of energy running up our bodies is associated with evil? To I, this would be a very closed minded and narrow vision. In reality, the imagery of Uraeus, Kundalini, or serpents coiled around a staff has been used for thousands of years to metaphorically represent the idea of energy pathways and centers within the corporeal body. This ancient technique of aligning and activating the "chakras" or the major centers of energy is known to bring healing and peace, so why look at it as a thing that people should be wary of?

"there are those "sex and the city" influenced main stream people who love to smoke a couple of cigarettes, drink a coffee and then doing some yoga to "stay in shape"."

It was not my initial intention to come to any spiritual realization through practicing yoga. I certainly was not the kind of person the I described, but I was looking for more of a physical effect of healthiness, and following advice of another friend who was focused in the same way on "staying in shape". When I started to go to yoga classes, I found the physical aspects extremely challenging, and I was not focused on the other effects, although afterwards I always felt calm and great. As I progressed, I grew physically stronger and was able to also memorize a lot of things that I could practice in private. It was when I started to take the practice out of the gym class and into my home and my intimate life, into my thoughts and studies, that I came to realeyes the other effects that yogic practice can bring. It was never through someone telling me "you are going to work very hard physically so that you can awaken your Kundalini." I was on that physical level, and I worked from there, and in such, the mind and energies were awakened to allow I to see everything on an higher level. So I say, if a person smokes cigarettes and is sexually confused or unfocused, as you described, then practicing yoga as a part of their physical routine may be the way for the person to reach a realm of Iverstanding where they can leave behind those negative practices. I would not see this as a negative idea that a person can start out thinking that way. All ways that people can start or further their journey to Inightenment should be blessed.

"i think its very interesting how some rastas mix those believes (third eye etc.) with christianity.

to me, avoiding labelling and make all religions come together is the best solution to me. ive even read a book about connecting different things of the different religions but the guy who has written it was a little bit too influenced by buddhism for me. he believed in certain jewish teachings, in jesus, in the prophet of islam and certain "pagan" teachings but he conludes that god was the state of nirvana."

I&I not mixing anything with christianity. I do not claim to be a christian. But what I see as more interesting is that the roots of all of these esoteric teachings are imbedded in the christian teachings and practices. Even the quotes of Yeshua can be seen to have yogic attributes: "I am in my father, and you in me, and I in you" (John 14:20). What this shows I&I is that the teachings themselves are being carried through christian texts, although they do not originate there.

From what I have studied of all those religions mentioned, and others, I see true aspects in all of their texts and teachings. I cannot say it is best or even possible to "make" all religions come together, but I can see how studying them all is beneficial. Study the texts, yes; follow the religion or the doctrines, not necessarily.

regarding all of what the I said about sexuality, especially "activating your chakras is all about avoiding to have sex to a certain extent."

I personally do not deal with the idea of sex sublimation past the idea of reasonable self control. I do not think it is true that activating the energy centers is about avoiding to have sex, and I still do not see why anyone gets that idea. You would have to ask someone who does not approve of sex, but I am not the person to explain that reasoning. The root and sacral centers are both associated with sex, the first with the genitals themselves and the other with the idea of sexuality. Part of aligning the energy correctly is learning to use these physical and mental aspects in their righteous purpose, and I do not think that means to cease to practice sex at all. Sex equals Life. May sex be blessed by the Most High, and let All Life be brought forth in righteousness and Oneness. ThANKHs again + again.

"ive heard that doing yoga can cause some obsession like nightmares. its like being confronted with your deepest inner feelings."

I have not experienced an increase in nightmares since starting to study Yoga. In fact, I used to have many clairvoyant dreams as a child, which were extremely terrifying to me and seemed to be nightmares because I did not have the Overstanding to sight their meanings. As I mentioned, I started practicing yoga as a teen, and at this time I was either not sleeping a lot or many times if I did sleep I was having dreams also. The dreams have persisted even til now, and it seems that all of the things I have learned, including yoga, have helped to "confront my deepest inner feelings" as the I said, even more courageously and in fuller wiseItes.
I know that Iman reasoningtime mentioned practicing some yoga for back injury; did the I experience more nightmares after this practice?

"it has nothing to do with yoga but ive even heard that reiki can open the gate to another dimensions and many people who have tried this were haunted by demons afterwards."

I do not study reiki at this time, although I know it has supreme benefits. Iman will use the technique to help ease Iwombman pains sometimes, with noticeable effect. I do not think that Iman opens demonic portals with the practice, however, and as I sight, any so called demonic forces are already in this existence whether or not a person is practicing yoga or reiki. It is about keeping an I vibration in order to disassociate on the resonance level from those negative forces. And I see both yoga and reiki as ways to practice keeping a very high vibration. So I do not see why the I seem to want to demonize or make these things seem evil or dangerous.

To I, it is more dangerous to go through life without learning Yoga, than it is to practice yoga religiously.

Bless-sings of ONEness to All
Neberdjer Ma'at Htp.

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 8/2/2015 9:06:12 AM

give thanks! seen. i didnt want to be offensive and say that im an expert. the opposite is the case. so there were a lot of things i had to thing about and i had to overstand. give thanks for the teachings and the in depth answers!

i had to smile about a few things ive written earlier but i think they are full of truth. so i want to comment those 7 answers again.

1. the religion of the east thing...

youve mentioned earlier that some aspects of yoga have their roots in africa, in kemet. so i really didnt want to say that the east has INVENTED it. but a few weeks ago i didnt had a clue about yoga at all and i had just learned that yoga is very spiritual. so we both can agree thats its not just a sport like football for example but nothing is wrong with that of course.

2. the serpant thing...

i dont want to start another bible discussion. i didnt said that because i wanted to make sure that i believe that each and everything which has to do with serpants is pure evil so it had NOTHING to do with my opinion. please believe me in this case. but i myself wonder how CHRISTIAN PEOPLE who believe in the teachings of the church follow yoga like a sport. it was not a big thing to me. in order to question 1 i just wanted to say that people should be conscious and just know what they do. be a member of the church AND do yoga. follow yoga and buddhism. follow christianity. i really dont care. i just wanted to share the information that you do something for you spirit if you do it like it was meant to be.

3. the clueless "main stream" people...

seen. yoga itself is not really a "religion" itself. but SOME people seem to do it without having any knowledge about it. thats why ive mentioned all the things i know about it before.

4. ancient teachings and christianity...

very interesting. i already read a lot about comparisons between buddhas and jesus teachings. whats right is just right to me. but i dont want to talk about the two religions to much here.
i agree with you on the different religions. i dont want to put them together with new doctrines etc. just like youve mentioned. read the teachings and decide. just be conscious.

5. activating chakras...

this is just a thing ive picked up somewhere. a question i want to utter. its said that you will have more energy if you dont waste your "sexual energy", seen. i mean professional trainers worldwide dont allow their teams to meet their wives during a world cup for example. every boxer avoids to have sex before the fight. because they know that they will lose their energy. but this might be just a natural thing in many ways.

6. facing your deepest inner feelings...

i just want to stay neutral. no accusations! like ive mentioned. i didnt know anything about yoga a few weeks ago. there are some people who told me its like the greatest experience and some told me stuff like this. give thanks for your opinion towards this! i didnt suffer from nightmare but ive never followed a real yoga programm completely. so maybe its just like a natural medition. i dont know. so if you say simply doing yoga is harmless i have to believe it. thats ok to me. i think you can read a lot of different things about it but personally im not really that interested in it.

7. reiki

its not like id say "i have all of the knowledge and i tell you its pure evil." i have to confess...i have no experience with it, its not for me but i dont know much about it. thats right. i dont want to demonize it. im just a guy who has watched some youtube videos you know. lol and not so long ago ive found a few documentaries about reiki and there are a couple of people who say that they have suffered from obsessions afterwards. i dont know. i think you have your experiences and i believe you. so i give thanks for your opinion on this. its just a question i wanted to ask because i found something like this online and didnt overstand.

i didnt want to pressure yoga followers with my posting. its just about information i as a man who dont know nothing about yoga has found online and i wanted to reason about.

give thanks! who wants to do it can do it and yoga itself is mainly based on ancient knowledge. everybody can check it if he wants to.

respect!

Messenger: Marcelo León Sent: 8/17/2015 10:48:04 PM

Here is an article on the 8 limbs or stages of yoga:

In Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra, the eightfold path is called ashtanga, which literally means “eight limbs” (ashta=eight, anga=limb). These eight steps basically act as guidelines on how to live a meaningful and purposeful life. They serve as a prescription for moral and ethical conduct and self-discipline; they direct attention toward one’s health; and they help us to acknowledge the spiritual aspects of our nature.

1. Yama
The first limb, yama, deals with one’s ethical standards and sense of integrity, focusing on our behavior and how we conduct ourselves in life. Yamas are universal practices that relate best to what we know as the Golden Rule, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”

The five yamas are:

Ahimsa: nonviolence

Satya: truthfulness

Asteya: nonstealing

Brahmacharya: continence

Aparigraha: noncovetousness

2. Niyama
Niyama, the second limb, has to do with self-discipline and spiritual observances. Regularly attending temple or church services, saying grace before meals, developing your own personal meditation practices, or making a habit of taking contemplative walks alone are all examples of niyamas in practice.

The five niyamas are:

Saucha: cleanliness

Samtosa: contentment

Tapas: heat; spiritual austerities

Svadhyaya: study of the sacred scriptures and of one’s self

Isvara pranidhana: surrender to God

3. Asana
Asanas, the postures practiced in yoga, comprise the third limb. In the yogic view, the body is a temple of spirit, the care of which is an important stage of our spiritual growth. Through the practice of asanas, we develop the habit of discipline and the ability to concentrate, both of which are necessary for meditation.

4. Pranayama
Generally translated as breath control, this fourth stage consists of techniques designed to gain mastery over the respiratory process while recognizing the connection between the breath, the mind, and the emotions. As implied by the literal translation of pranayama, “life force extension,” yogis believe that it not only rejuvenates the body but actually extends life itself. You can practice pranayama as an isolated technique (i.e., simply sitting and performing a number of breathing exercises), or integrate it into your daily hatha yoga routine.

These first four stages of Patanjali’s ashtanga yoga concentrate on refining our personalities, gaining mastery over the body, and developing an energetic awareness of ourselves, all of which prepares us for the second half of this journey, which deals with the senses, the mind, and attaining a higher state of consciousness.

5. Pratyahara
Pratyahara, the fifth limb, means withdrawal or sensory transcendence. It is during this stage that we make the conscious effort to draw our awareness away from the external world and outside stimuli. Keenly aware of, yet cultivating a detachment from, our senses, we direct our attention internally. The practice of pratyahara provides us with an opportunity to step back and take a look at ourselves. This withdrawal allows us to objectively observe our cravings: habits that are perhaps detrimental to our health and which likely interfere with our inner growth.

6. Dharana
As each stage prepares us for the next, the practice of pratyahara creates the setting for dharana, or concentration. Having relieved ourselves of outside distractions, we can now deal with the distractions of the mind itself. No easy task! In the practice of concentration, which precedes meditation, we learn how to slow down the thinking process by concentrating on a single mental object: a specific energetic center in the body, an image of a deity, or the silent repetition of a sound. We, of course, have already begun to develop our powers of concentration in the previous three stages of posture, breath control, and withdrawal of the senses. In asana and pranayama, although we pay attention to our actions, our attention travels. Our focus constantly shifts as we fine-tune the many nuances of any particular posture or breathing technique. In pratyahara we become self-observant; now, in dharana, we focus our attention on a single point. Extended periods of concentration naturally lead to meditation.

7. Dhyana
Meditation or contemplation, the seventh stage of ashtanga, is the uninterrupted flow of concentration. Although concentration (dharana) and meditation (dhyana) may appear to be one and the same, a fine line of distinction exists between these two stages. Where dharana practices one-pointed attention, dhyana is ultimately a state of being keenly aware without focus. At this stage, the mind has been quieted, and in the stillness it produces few or no thoughts at all. The strength and stamina it takes to reach this state of stillness is quite impressive. But don’t give up. While this may seem a difficult if not impossible task, remember that yoga is a process. Even though we may not attain the “picture perfect” pose, or the ideal state of consciousness, we benefit at every stage of our progress.

8. Samadhi
Patanjali describes this eighth and final stage of ashtanga, samadhi, as a state of ecstasy. At this stage, the meditator merges with his or her point of focus and transcends the Self altogether. The meditator comes to realize a profound connection to the Divine, an interconnectedness with all living things. With this realization comes the “peace that passeth all understanding”; the experience of bliss and being at one with the Universe. On the surface, this may seem to be a rather lofty, “holier than thou” kind of goal. However, if we pause to examine what we really want to get out of life, would not joy, fulfillment, and freedom somehow find their way onto our list of hopes, wishes, and desires? What Patanjali has described as the completion of the yogic path is what, deep down, all human beings aspire to: peace. We also might give some thought to the fact that this ultimate stage of yoga—enlightenment—can neither be bought nor possessed. It can only be experienced, the price of which is the continual devotion of the aspirant.

Messenger: Marcelo León Sent: 8/17/2015 11:04:00 PM

The greatest book on yoga, is the Bhagavad-Gita. Krishna speaks of the different kinds of yoga, the highest being Bhakti Yoga. Bhakti means devotion, devotional service. Bhakti Yoga is the Yoga of love, surrender and devotional service to JAH.

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 8/18/2015 4:10:53 AM

i think its just strange how main stream yoga (and marihuana as well) has become.

if yoga can be as helpful as some of you say then its clearly an act of taking something good and turn it into something bad again. they distort things.

i ask myself how its possible that EVERY great thing we know from different cultures get distorted by the west. the history of yoga is very sad to me.

ancient african way of preparing body, heart and soul of "intellectuals" for work/ combination of physical and spiritual worship of certain asian gods and idols/ a supeficial fitness programm for rich white women (NOT MOSTLY, but i bet you know what i mean)

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 126

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I