Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6114&start_row=111

Ancient Esoteric Rasta

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/14/2017 9:23:43 PM

Would like to know more about Mami Water..... I had a picture representation of her that I hung toward the West with Auset toward the East in I home

Anyway this was a blessed thread.... if we can still use the word Blessed ... LOVE to all de i dem involve

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 7/1/2017 11:42:29 PM

Greetings Bredren! Good to see di I keeping the vibes flowing! 😊;;;;;;

The name “Mami Wata,” was believed by Western scholars to be a derivative either directly from pidgin English, or is an anglicize version of the two words “mommy/mammy” and “water.” However, though phonetically similar to the English words, the name “Mami Wata” does not have its linguistic roots nor any cultural, mythological or historical origins in the West.

Mami Wata are ancient, African deities whose primordial origins and name can be traced linguistically through the languages of Africa. According to some renowned scholars, the name “Mami Wata” was originally formulated in ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia, and is derived from a composite of two African words, “Mami,” and “Wata.” Both words are rooted in the ancient Egyptian and Ethiopian (Coptic), Galla and Demotic languages.

“Mami” is derived from “Ma” or ”Mama,” meaning “truth/wisdom,” and “Wata” is a corruption of not an English, but the ancient Egyptian word “Uati,” (or "Uat-ur" meaning ocean water), and the Khosian ("Hottentot") "Ouata" meaning “water.” Further, we discover from Mesopotamian myths that the first great water goddess in the story of the Creation Flood was known as "Mami," (Mami Aruru) as she was known in ancient Babylonian prayers as being the creator of human life (Dalley 2000, p. 51-16, Stone 1976, p. 7,219).

“Uati” is perhaps the first of more than ten thousand appellations of Isis (logos/wisdom) in her oldest generative form as the Divine African Mother, or Sibyl (Mamissii/Amengansie) prophetess. Furthermore, Massey (1994, p. 248) informs us that the word “Wata, Watoa, Wat-Waat” which means “woman,” are all exact spellings in the ancient Sudanic languages spoken by the Baba, Peba and Keh-Doulan groups.

In ancient Egypt, Uati was Isis’ oldest appellation, and was the first Mami goddess worshiped by the Egyptians as “the Holy Widow”, “the Genitrix,” the “Self-Creator”, “the one who reigned alone in the beginning”, “the one who brings forth the gods,” “she who was mateless”, and “the Virgin (meaning ‘unmarried’) Mother.” Thus, we have Isis originally worshiped as “Mama Uati” in ancient Egypt, and as Mami (Uati/Aruru) in ancient Mesopotamia, where she is first addressed and immortalized in prose by the gods. (Massey 1992, p. 204, 227).

Mami Uati, is an ancient and sacred name which remarkably, after thousands of years, has survived as “Mami Wata,” in West African Vodoun and other African religious systems, having changed little in its original phonetic form.

In Togo, West Africa, and in the United States, the priestesses of Mami Wata are called Mamisii (Mamissi, Mamaissii, Mammisi). Certain paths of high-priestesses who are called to open an Egbé (spirit house) are known as "Mamaissii-Hounons" which translates as “queen of the ship,” or literally “mother wisdom” (Alapini 1955, Massey 1994, p. 227, Rosenthal 1998, p. 116-117).

This is an ancient name probably having its etymological roots in ancient Egypt, where we find the name Mammisi meaning “motherhood temple,” as the sacred shrine where the queen/ priestesses gives birth to spirit. (Walker 1983, p. 572-573).

SOURCE:

MAMI WATA

Messenger: iamAgunechemba Sent: 7/8/2017 9:44:42 AM

thanks for this

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 7/8/2017 12:59:27 PM

The name “Mami Wata,” was believed by Western scholars to be a derivative either directly from pidgin English, or is an anglicize version of the two words “mommy/mammy” and “water.”

I found this to be amusing. And then come to find out that it is the ENGLISH or Latin tree of languages that stole from the ancient african languages in the simplest of words like mama and water / outur.

So which language is the real pidgin? Who is the real bastard? LOL

And interesting that water / wata can mean ocean OR mother. This makes me think of the primordial WATERS being the origin of the Netjers. The amniotic fluid or water that encapsulates the fetus, breaking at the start of labour. Maybe its not too much of a stretch of a connection

Yes GIVE THANKS for this information Ras Goddess and again it is a joy to see you forward to these parts once more

While we now have the origins in language, I would also be interested for any of the I dem to provide more information on origins or explanation of the mythology associated with her

And does anyone else notice she is the image of the starbucks logo

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 7/8/2017 2:04:19 PM

The Starbucks logo (mermaid) does look a lot like her LoL.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 7/8/2017 5:21:41 PM

Also known as La Siren in Haitian or Yemowa in Yoruba

All associated with motherhood / childbirth but also with this interesting mythology of taking man underwater some of which never return some of who return with new behaviors, wealth or even powers. I even heard once after seeing her a man may never be attracted to any other woman in life...

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 7/9/2017 12:44:37 PM

You're so right bredren Garvey's, it is indeed the English language that is one of, if not THE MOST bastardized of all! That's why mi haffe laugh when I hear some speak of "proper English" LOL

And YES! The Starbucks symbol is Mami Wata herself! Yet another "borrowed" and exploited Afrikan symbol of the Divine Feminine.

I'm equally joyful to forward and find di I's reasonings and vibes!

ONENESS

Messenger: Black Christ Salvation Sent: 7/25/2017 2:08:30 PM

I-n-Chi-Ent Ra's Ta Fa R I

Most I.

Give th'Ankh's 4 L'Ife.

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 6/6/2019 10:08:57 AM

Yes I...Naga,we call it nyoka in Shona.In Malawi they call it Njoka.The pronunciation sound of Naga/Njoka/Nyoka sounds the same

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 6/7/2019 10:02:02 AM

Seen Zion-mountain! Give thanks

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I