Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6112&start_row=21

I am white and believe all things Rastafari, am I accepted?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 64
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Humble one Sent: 6/14/2015 7:32:24 AM

"Also the I cannot be "accepted" as a Rastafari, the I either is or isn't Rasta, deep in the I's heart."

You highlight something worthy of discussion.

I used to take Rastafari to solely mean the spiritual side of it, along with Ital etc. And deep in my heart, I know that I am a spiritual being in a human setting.

But I think the point that GA is trying to make, and others, is that Rastafari means a specifically black African culture. And one cannot choose which culture to be born in to. It does not make one culture better than another.

As I mentioned on another thread, Native Americans have a culture, which their spiritual practice too. If you were not born a native American, you can never say "I am a native American". This doesn't make you better or worse, just the way it is. It is very possible that someone non native American, non rastafari, ie hasn't been brought up in those cultures shares a deep spiritual connection in the longing to leave Babylon, and wishes to help in all of the culture's pursuits.

Just I think it may anger people because it seems that it is stealing their culture. It doesn't change who you are as a person, or even as a spiritual being.

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: Hemphill Sent: 6/14/2015 11:33:54 AM

Praises Humble one. This is what I meant in IandI first post saying: "If the I has faith in H.I.M and the self, it does not matter if anyone 'accepts' the I. JAH is the father of all, everyone is HIS child." To have faith in JAH -- H.I.M. -- is to have faith in self is to have own culture. Incorporate positive aspects and cleanse the negative aspects of I's culture. Lively up the self!

Bless
One Love

Messenger: Lemuel Sent: 6/22/2015 12:27:49 AM

Of course you can. I am Rastafari yet I am white Afrikaner and Irish. Race is nonexistent in Rasta. If you believe H.I.M then you are Rasta.

That being said, Rasta is NOT about African identify or black identity. But about HUMAN identify

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/22/2015 12:59:15 AM

^Who told you that?

Rasta also put fire under invader who claim South Africa and Afrikaan.....

Messenger: Lemuel Sent: 6/22/2015 1:13:11 AM

A Rasta priest named Lemuel in the Church of Haile Selassie I told me that. Also, I never claimed to own any part of Africa. I can't help I was born Irish-Afrikaner.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/22/2015 1:27:43 AM

Which Church of Haile Selassie? Ethiopia? NY? JA?

I would challenge this rasta priest for saying such foolishness as Rastafari is exactly about African identity in its truest form. Sounds like infiltration and dilution in this church and it should be addressed

By claiming Afrikaan you are attempting to claim a part of African identity as the play on words is no coincidence. Afrikaan is not a race nor group of people. Afrikaan is an amalgamation of different groups of Europeans, might aswell say European.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/22/2015 1:32:25 AM

https://benjaminjbean.wordpress.com/2011/06/03/chapter-1-rastafaris-roots-in-pan-african-nationalism/

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 6/22/2015 4:57:36 AM

"race is nonexistent." "Rasta is not for the black identity."

this sounds very brutal. ga is absolutely right.

but maybe its just put out of context. because if there are two murderers who have lately slaughtered your whole family. a white guy and a black guy. and the black one is coming to court and hes saying things like "common. you cant judge me. its all about black power" than race might be nonexistent, right? so maybe this rasta thought of things like that your background doesnt play a role when it comes to learning things about history and about HIM. you can like the rasta lifestyle and refuse to drink without being black.

but IN GENERAL it is all about the black identity. we must remember that.

Messenger: Path Walker Sent: 6/25/2015 8:31:26 AM

There have long been people of European descent who engage in right living, in unity with nature, and rejecting the corruption of the Babylon system. Why not identify as that? The 'white race' actually needs a great many to do this so that our children will not have to continue to look outside our culture for a way of living right. Black Rasta is claiming and establishing his identity, white Rasta is giving his away. If you have to ask if it's okay to do something, some part of you is already uncomfortable with it.

Messenger: Lemuel Sent: 6/25/2015 6:42:21 PM

Brooklyn

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 64

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I