Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6004&start_row=61

Science and Spirit

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 89
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Black heart Sent: 3/3/2015 7:18:13 AM

Yes I Sister. Ital is life indeed. Rasta is wise mind so I & I know dat when ill de first thing to look for is ital treament. If I man can't find an ital solution to a problem then I simply go fo de artificial solution to avoid unnecesary sufferation & passin of flesh. Rasta is a jurney, mybe in some comin iwa I would seh I rather pas flesh, na know. But fo now in I ital trod I man in dis stage. And I'v experienced a situation where I couldnt find an ital solution. I real life. I coulda dead now

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 3/3/2015 4:33:36 PM

Give thanks for the fire Blackheart.
Cant separate science n spirituality.Jah man di greatest scientist

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/4/2015 3:42:10 AM

This thread should never have been so long

When His Majesty talks, argument done

Messenger: Sister Sent: 3/4/2015 5:17:02 AM

Lol, so all we need is to read his word then. One mind and many minds.

JAH Guide.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/22/2019 7:28:23 AM

'The microphone doctor black Deepak Chopra'
- Black Thought

I KNEW I had heard of Deepak before.
This thread and video was POWERFUL

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 1/24/2019 11:07:29 AM

I wonder if the original Hemphill had their account hacked. Doesn't seem like the same person.

On another note, this was a good thread.

Science is knowledge. I think the confusion is that science cannot include spirit because it cannot scientifically know it. The scientific method cannot prove spirit and so it stays in the realm of belief. And that's okay. There are theories in science that are hard to prove but there is a reasonable amount of evidence to support.

I think we just need to be conscious of the fact that there are many things in both spheres that we simply don't know. Science gives us a way to know things but cannot know for sure things it cannot test.

I think science has already kind of give us a version of spirit but Religions are the ones trying to force spirit to be something else. In other words, in science, spirit is energy. And everything is energy. We all have energy constantly flowing through us, around us, coming in and out of us, connecting us. But we want this energy to be more and science cannot add these extra attributes that people want because there's no evidence of them.

What I think we're missing is the concept of algorithms. Energy passing through a PC is able to create all kinds of things because the PC is complex and rules upon rules upon rules govern that system. But nature is also very complex. And starting with the rules of physics, each environment creates different rules for energy to flow through.

Birds "fly" in the air. Fish "swim" in the sea. But is what they're doing that different from each other? Or is air just a much lighter version of water and they are all "swimming/flying" through it?

By the same token, the same energy that created humans is the same energy that created animals but we have bigger egos and so we think we're special and that God would choose us to dominate and eat the animals while at the same time protecting us from each other. We control the rules for God because God has to fit our criteria instead of us accepting God for whatever he/she/it is. But whether he is "swimming" or "flying" does it really matter?

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 1/24/2019 11:25:09 AM

Of course, no true scientist would assert for a moment that man fully understands everything there is to know about the nature of energy (or even a substantial fraction thereof), so there we are, right back to that spirit thing again.

Albert Einstein: “The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.”
i love that.

We humans tend to think that we're so smart and that we understand so much, when the truth is really that our knowledge is quite limited. After a 37-year career spent in the environmental and geological sciences, i find Mr. Einstein's observation more profound today than ever before. i am awed by JAH Creation.

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 1/24/2019 11:44:37 AM

But that's the thing... science never claimed to have all the answers. That's what religion claims. So when religion attacks science it attacks science for not knowing everything because it wants people to keep coming to religion to get all the answers. But these are not really answers. They're guesses. Science isn't about belief. It's about getting to truth empirically. What's known by science is designed to be universal. Even the method is something we can universally agree on.

Religion is just the opposite. There is no method. The method is what we say it is at any given moment. So if we say God made the sky blue then that's what it is. Science says the sky isn't really blue its just an illusion of reflection/refraction of light. Religion does an eye roll and is like "but YOU see its blue, right?" And as long as you can agree on what the religion says you're more likely to agree with more and more until it is now baked into the religion that it cannot be wrong and that to be accepted by God you must believe it is right about everything. And this causes us to war with each other instead of coming together.

With science... anybody can do science. It doesn't matter what color you are, what your religion is, what music you like, what your gender is, etc. You can do science. Religion doesn't like that because it views it as a competitor. Science itself doesn't and is agnostic. Atheists are those that see that conflict and try to defend science and this sort of universality of common things against religion's tendency to usurp everything for its own benefit.

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 1/24/2019 12:06:49 PM

i'm sorry, IXPninja. i don't agree with all of that. There are so many topics you've opened up, i could write a thesis, but do not feel so inclined.
A couple of quick points:

(1) Religion is in the eyes of its adherents, so you can have two adherents to the same religion; one who is quite intolerant or dismissive or science and another who fully embraces it.

(2) Science and religion are not inherently at odds. i don't think science is necessarily agnostic. Case in point: there are many scientist who are deeply religious. i myself am deeply spiritual as a RastafarI and yet i am also a scientist.

(3) i don't think that all religions claim to have all of the answers. Most, however, claim that only God has all of the answers.

(4) With the whole climate science politicization phenomenon, i would have to say that there is much less agreement today about what constitutes proper scientific method than there was when i was entering the field of science in the 70s.

(5) Religious teaching, including scripture, can be analyzed by a person using their brain, and that person may find some aspects of the religion to be very valid and useful as guidance for living life, while discarding other aspects of it a irrelevant or outright wrong. Me and Christianity have this kind of a relationship.

RESPECT

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 1/24/2019 1:10:21 PM

@Nesta1

1. I'm talking about as collective unit, not as individuals. As an individual I don't get to decide US policy but that same policy is steered by democratic representation of the whole as well as the influence of special interest groups within the whole. So I'm not blaming or convicting you personally of feeling this way, nor is every religion as guilty as another.

2. Again... science and scientists are 2 different things. Scientists cannot be religious on behalf of science. They can only be religious on their own behalf.

3. You just disproved your own supposition and proved my point. Religions claim God has all the answers. Who speaks for God? Who's job is it to tell you what God says? And who gives you a pathway to God so that one day he'll tell you everything you want to know? Religions are man made. I'm not suggesting that those people think they have all the answers. The whole idea is to connect people with the answers. I've personally been confronted by believers using this very tactic; that God has all the answers so take this handout.

4. Yeah... so there are climate deniers who are scientists. Are they denying global warming entirely or that humans are contributing to it? Because the actual warming is something that is measured. Secondly, again scientists aren't science. When they show proof using the scientific method that there is no global warming I will listen. When a scientists gives their opinion that they simply don't believe the work that has been done on the subject I'm not impressed by that. Scientists are allowed to have opinions that don't speak for themselves, not all of science. Scientists do science. They aren't science.

5. I have no disagreement with this point. But if you ask the leaders of whatever your local church is, how much they believe the bible their answer will probably be 100%. So when I'm talking about religions in this context I'm talking about the establishment... the organizations... not trying to speak universally of every single believer or practitioner. I myself utilize teachings, scripture, etc from a number of religions because they are neither entitled to absolute truth or absolute fiction. And somewhat ironically I prefer fiction that doesn't pretend to be 100% truth. Hence Jediism.

respect

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 89

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I