Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5925&start_row=1

Whats in a name?

1 - 1011 - 13
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Knowledge seeker Sent: 12/18/2014 5:08:43 PM

RAS. I see many people on social media put that in front of their names. Also notice many Rastafarians do/have been doing the same. What determines what a Rasta puts in front or changes his/her name to?

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 12/18/2014 5:35:38 PM

This Q makes me think....

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 12/18/2014 5:35:39 PM

Do U consider YOUrself a Ras? If not, why study dem and watch man name?

Live in Love
Human Rights & Justice for all
Freedom for Africa and all Africans
Reparate and Elevate

But don't watch man name

RASTAFARI

Messenger: Knowledge seeker Sent: 12/18/2014 5:38:52 PM

I think you are taking the context of my question wrong my brotha. I'm not watching another man's name. I'm just asking why as I am intended to do. Just askin whats the purpose that's all.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 12/18/2014 5:56:18 PM

Ras = a title, similar to King, as highlighted by His Majesty Emperor Haile Selassie I RAS Tafari Makonnen.

Rasta know he is Jah
Rasta deal with the higher self.

...And i mistook you.....or de I (correction) for a different person who used to come on this website and talk alot of nonesense. I think you have a similar name, and because it's an entry-level question. Maybe the I should familiar with some of Ark-Is suggested reading from the main page. While de I is welcome, this website use mainly by people who are already very familiar with such concepts. Anyway, Live up
BlesseD

Messenger: Knowledge seeker Sent: 12/18/2014 5:58:15 PM

Overstood. No non sense here though..just seeking intricate knowledge.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 12/18/2014 6:00:26 PM

Irie I

Messenger: Knowledge seeker Sent: 12/18/2014 6:01:46 PM

But what I mean is this; I know the meaning of RAS, Ive been researching over the years. What I don't know is when one decides or is allowed to put it in front his or her name. Does it matter or is it just done? I notice many people aren't fully Rasta meaning they still do Babylonian things but still put RAS in front of dem name..

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 12/18/2014 6:08:13 PM

King,how you know if one is or isn't 'fully' Rasta?

This thing is a journey,some might feel to change up certain things before certain things, others may do it different. From the way your talking you maybe wouldn't call yourself a RASTAFARI until the I was 100% Ital, with Locks to the floor,Living on Zion Mountain inna Free Africa with your Empress by your side, cup overflow with the fullness of Jah.A next man may call himself that from he JUST start sight the trod and start making move in the right Irection.

Burn those who use Jah name and title in falsness.

But otherwise, this thing a journey, and now it really do look like a watching thing. Focus on betterment of self, and others will cite the example. But none Rastafari people cannot dictate what it is to be a Rasta and who and who is or isn't Rasta.

If de I is a Ras den Give dem Ras your talking about a helping hand (even if a Fire hand) and make dem know

Garvey I,I

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 12/18/2014 6:12:26 PM

A man puts RAS before his name when Jah RASTAFARI tell him to

1 - 1011 - 13

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I