Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5913&start_row=11

Cultural Appropriation & Why It's Wrong - article

1 - 1011 - 15
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/14/2015 9:43:40 AM

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 1/16/2015 11:40:49 PM

Garveys Africa, why did you have to expose me to that damn Alborosie poser song. I have to go wash out I ears now.

Is he actually popular in Europe?

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/17/2015 7:53:57 AM

Lol

He is the number one ultimate reggae artist to many a European.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/17/2015 8:03:22 AM

And it's not because he is white or a white rasta or a white person doing reggae. It's the fact he is trying to pass this off as authentic ROOTs reggae. Which and who's roots? But the problem is maybe moreso with the industry who catapult these artist to the mainstream because of the White shock factor which seems to weigh more heavily than genuine talent. So now it's the BEST authentic 'roots' reggae. Lol. At least Sean Paul (who rise up due to the White shock factor over talent) and others are Jamaican and grew up with the culture for example. But Albo is the extreme....not singing song for his own demographic (Italian, never lived in Jamaica prior to music) or even using his own accent (jafaican) - Innappropriation at its highest, very very similar to that of an Iggy Azalea.

Authentic, burn Carbon

European and American reggae now probably makes as much if not more $$$ internationally than that from the Caribbean. Promoters no longer want OG Jamaican artists as they have their own stock who can imitate the thing well enough for them! I would argue the same thing happened with Rock n Roll and is the reason it is no longer associated as black music (opinionated I know).

Fire can't cool
Especially not when food being taken from poor people mouth. Figuratively and literally speaking.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 1/17/2015 8:50:50 PM

In North American music, the thing that bothers I the most is that the reggae that gets on the billboard charts is such crappy reggae. It is such a shame knowing how much good reggae artists are out there and they instead play somebody that would not even be close to being a contender against any of the real reggae artists.

1 - 1011 - 15

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I