Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5905&start_row=1

swearing

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 22
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: anonymous Sent: 11/27/2014 6:24:09 AM

what does the InI think about swearing? I think its pretty unclean and either way I never swear but iman was just watching some videos on youtube
and i cant help it that snoop dogg or lion? is swearing pretty much all the iwa and is snoop really a rasta or was it just a trick to get money?
not wanting to judge but how serious is he? and what does the InI think about swearing in general?
anyways
thanks and praises to the most high I

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 11/27/2014 8:53:48 AM

Very interesting question Anon I, give thanks for this reasoning. I am curious how the I's see the issue of profanity also.
For Iwombman personally, the "four letter" words are not abrasive in themselves - it is the tone the person carries when saying the word that matters more to Iwombman. Sometimes it is used as a joke. Sometimes there is simply nothing more profound to say, because the subject is too frustrating (politics) and people just shrug, "#$%& it" and move on. But insulting words, like calling someone "stupid" even, they don't even have to be "swear words", using that type of language is anti-love, and Iwombman would seek more positivity instead.
As for Snoop, no one can say what is in the man's heart, but oneself. I am not here to make a judgment call on that one. Although Snoop as a ghetto youth in Long Beach, hustle and make it rich, and eventually see a way different from all the fighting and no safety, see Black Love instead of gang violence? I would probably gravitate toward that change as well.
More UPfull speech RasTafarI, give thanks for the WORDSOUNDPOWER.

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 11/27/2014 1:20:35 PM

Words come from overflow of the heart
What one gas stored in the heart will spew out the mouth in words
See how King Selassie spoke....no swearing that I know of.
A leader must control their tougne along with all other members of body

Snoop lion I had hope to be a Rastafari firework, spreading JAH vibes like Bob Marley..... But I have not felt that spirit.... Time will tell if the firework is a dud

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 11/27/2014 2:53:03 PM

Well said and well reasoned King. Give Ises.

Messenger: Bobobinghi Jahcub Sent: 11/27/2014 3:36:48 PM

I think ones who swear on the most part do it to play to an ego.They think swearing is something adult to do,they hear it in the music so they think its cool,they see their friends doing it so they do it to fit in.I agreewith Jesse its unclean and also lazy,anger and frustration can be better articulated and one doesnt even have say a thing.Ones must be in self control and not follow nobody,and do what is right,Mama a go spank you if you use that language,so ones should not ignore the parents teachings

The reasoning on Snoop Dog,Iman would say just don't watch him,Rasta much deeper than what snoop has livicated to,Snoop is a baby in the Rasta trod so Iman would look to elders for I guidance,if Snoop uplifts the nation as a rasta or not,Iman salute,but Iman dont watch the mans life,Rastafari rising and no one can't bring InI down.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/27/2014 3:43:44 PM

freedom of speech

Manners and respect to all under or over educated idem who have been cursed with this English language which is simply insufficient in terms of self expression meaning and emotion. Luckily Jamaicans have some of the most beautiful cuss words to choose from

Man choose what to say how to say when to say where to say. still keep wise to say, if you overs iah say? How de I talk around my mother might or might not be how I talk round de herbsman and likewise round de children, and so on:

What would Nesta even Peter dem say?

Freedom a B-C speech

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/27/2014 3:55:33 PM

Fire

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 11/27/2014 7:30:45 PM

Language change with time, persons places and situations. NiggA being one example but also it very common where I'm at to hear people male and female calling onenother "bitch" but not derogatorily. Just as some fellows call each other "son" but they are not each other's fathers. For some it's just natural common language without a second thought. The word itself shouldn't be the determining factor, intent should, because "fcck" can have different meanings depending on usage! Like Jah Child was sayn depending on intent and usage many "non traditional swear words" can be swear word!

And why call them "SWEAR" words, swearing can b making a promise or taking an oath or, profanity or cursing, the meanings seems like opposites to Iman?

Where I live if supm is vexing to u, u say 'I swear', like if one has a son that seems to never obey one might say, "dis lil boy yah I swear" so would this be swearing?

Also Iman notice that one would try or say burn out Babylon in dis and dat but try to perfect babylon's language and hold on to other thing but mayb modify it a little bit, why is that?

Messenger: Raybob Sent: 11/28/2014 2:08:54 AM

InI don't see words used can be wrong. Culture has dictated that some words are "cuss" words, or "bad" or "swear" words. InI don't believe Jah thinks that. If so, then just imagine the words that Yeshua Kristos used when he drove out the money changers from the temple! Had to be the most "bad" words available at that time.

InI know when my ex would scream and yell at my Idren for using certain words, they would all the more repeat those words, as what seemed a way they knew they could get attention from her.

Actual "Swearing" has to do with swearing something, as in promising something, or making a covenant of some kind. For that, it's not Jah's idea for us to do that, especially using His name.

"But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil. (Mat 5:34-37)"

Messenger: Raybob Sent: 11/28/2014 2:22:09 AM

Forgot to mention.. as for Snoop Lion, InI believe one of the founders of Reggae music, Bunny Wailer:
http://www.nme.com/news/snoop-dogg/68338

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 22

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I