Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5889&start_row=1

The N word

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 22
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/19/2014 8:17:48 AM

This is aimed toward the BLACK people of this website. If the word hasn't or wouldn't be used to describe YOU then you really don't need to be commenting.

So yeah

What you think of the song + the subject?

For me: has always been OUR wordsound (Negus, Nagas, Negust, NGR, NTGR and so on) + why let Europeans choose to define words for us? Although like the bruh say at the end - the most important thing is we are all aware of the history

OK quick Q for white people - What you think about words like DENIGRATE still being used widely? Denigrate = just as 'bad' if not worse than Nigger? no?

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 11/19/2014 1:06:51 PM

Before I ever knew about NGR NTGR NEGUS NAGAS I knew of Niger (nee'ger) and Negro (Spanish) and it meant Black and wonder why Black people got mad at white people calling them Black!

Messenger: Bobobinghi Jahcub Sent: 11/19/2014 1:23:38 PM

Nigger was/is used to degrade InI so Iman could never be a nigger neither negro.Even the wordsound of 'Er' sounds like errr,something unclean and inferior, InI are clean people so how could InI have a dirty name.From the day black people alow the word nigger to be acceptable it will give the other nations ammunition to disrespect InI even more.Negus Neagst, Nigerian,Niija, Iman don't need no Nigger in I vocabulary.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/19/2014 2:57:51 PM

But who are you letting define it for you? European slavemaster? They degraded we all day on the field that don't mean say we become offended or upset whenever we on the field again in this time (so long as is not a European whe put u deh!). Or couldn't the same argument be applied to the whole English language. Like a plague how it came onto we, while people worry about one word. The whole a dictionary was beaten into we. Now anyone going in that line of reasoning..... Just itezz up and forward

Ever wonder what the slaves between demselves with this new language called demselves? There was no 'African' and tribes were more than intermixed out after 400 years of trade and selective breeding. Think about the 3rd or 4thgeneration slave, or even grt granddaddy from 1900. When dem we're not in front of white people, did they call themselves nigga? From plantation time? If we did would we really of held onto the European perspective? Or would we have our own behind closed doors ideas on what we were, as NGAS. It's unnatural to think we were walking around greeting ourselves, speaking in normal converse with self degradement. We knew niggAS were more dan the devil tell we so. From den time.

Anyone aged 30 or less. If at some point as a youth you ever referred to a real brethren as 'my nigga' - ask yourself. You honestly said that with feelings of self hate? Degradation? Or out of a unique Ipreme love for your breddaman?

Babylon can't lie to I with whip neither chain. And tell I say nigger this and nigger that. I know I Istory. Fire Burn whiteman with fe him nigger talk, and white supremacy upholding lifestyle. But fe de black man it up to him what he want to and don't want to use to define himself. Is not self hate, only self definition why a youth could want to grow up, rightfully, to be a 'real nigga'

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 11/19/2014 4:17:44 PM

NiggER wasn't originally used to degrade de Blackman it was only a word for black and people ALLOWED that word to offend dem dats when it got its power.

Some blacks would get offended if one called dem African and some Continental Africans get offended being called black, it's all on the person!

I own grampa and he wife 88 and 86 yrs of age use d word niggA!

If I was in a Spanish speaking country I would not call I self 'BLACK' but would call I self 'NEGRO'!

Messenger: Bobobinghi Jahcub Sent: 11/19/2014 5:39:35 PM

I see the point but the word nigger does have negative conotations.Man can choose how he reacts to word but there is a more agreed version/majority defintion of a word.If someone called somebody a devil doesn't mean they using it in an insulting manner, but from a 3rd person looking if they don't overstand how the person chooses to use the word that can cause confusion.If Garvey's Africa wants to call Voodoruutz 'my migga'that's is una business and that's ok for the I dem but if a person who isn't black and doesn't overstand how the I is using the word can interpret the situation different.he/she might think to themselves'oh look at these black people can even respect themselves,why should I respect them,look at what they stand for' seen and that can have negative affect for the whole a we.If a youth sees his dad drinking alcohol the dad could be sensible with it but that could cause the youth to misuse it and destroy themself.If you steal a car it can help you for a time but there will be a consequence.if you use words which don't have an agreed universal meaning that can cause consequences also, forseen and unforseen.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 11/19/2014 8:23:13 PM

Yes I, but us can't let other define what's appropriate or what's positive and negative for us. If someone don't overstand InI then it's not for dem to overstand, InI don't haffa live up to nobody else standards, majority seem to not like d natty natty or d Sighting of D Emperor or to live up Blackfull but we don't change it up to make others overstand,?

Say ones chatting up Some Patois or Iyaric mongst Idrens and some bystanders only pick up say 60 percent da conversation to dem all dey hear is a really English, do ones not speak in dem ways because others think ones n ones are not educated and can't speak English properly, no, d ones who it's meant for knows.

If one is offended in dis word or not, as d I say dats on dem and their reasons but don't let others define what right for InI

Da majority ain got no respect fa InI just fa InI appearance as Africans not to talk dreadlocked Africa promoters and Upholders, no justice yet means no respect fa InI, dey don't wan no equality wit InI dey InI to bow and accept they authority and rule

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/20/2014 2:12:25 PM

Bigup VoodooRuutz grandaddy

Most High Honor Manners and Raspect

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/20/2014 2:29:07 PM

Dem think from you chat patois is a undereducated miseducated socially misplaced EdiAt. A duncebat.

More fool dem. A so we trick slavemaster from dem time...

InI people define Iself any which way InI people choose. The European/American standard cannot be the gold standard in any of our ways of defining anything, if not by coincidence. We set our precedent, and it come from an Incient order.

If nigga make you draw negatie connotations den don't say it. And hope man and wombman have the decency to respect not to say it in de I dem presence, from dey know de effects it may draw on de I.

If nigga make you feel a different way, whether through Ancient memories or the uniqueness about our plight as the Maafa, den gwan continue use it. 'My nigga' can never be a negative phrase in I contention.

As a side note, InI Burn Denigrate.

de-nigr-ate
ˈ;;;;;dɛ;;;;;nɪ;;;;;ɡ;;;;;reɪ;;;;;t/
verb
criticize unfairly; disparage.
"doom and gloom merchants who denigrate their own country"
synonyms: disparage, belittle, diminish, deprecate, cast aspersions on, decry, criticize unfairly, attack, speak ill of, speak badly of, blacken the character of, blacken the name of, give someone a bad name, sully the reputation of, spread lies about, defame, slander, libel, calumniate, besmirch, run down, abuse, insult, slight, revile, malign, vilify; More

- Dem dictionary tell we say is dat weh it mean to 'turn into a Nigger' - 'blacken the character of, give someone a bad name, belittle, deminish...' We don't accept dem racist definitions and offensive language in dis time at all sa

Fire ina Athens, Fire ina Rome.

Messenger: Bobobinghi Jahcub Sent: 11/20/2014 3:18:10 PM

Seen I overstand the point the I making.I guess its like InI have said many times the English language is a curse,regardless of the meaning why do we use nigger,why do we use Ethiopian,why do we use Cushite,why do we use dreadlocks,why do we use african.its not ordained and its not obligation.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 22

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I