Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5846&start_row=1

tattoos piercings etc

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 43
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: anonymous Sent: 10/2/2014 7:05:36 AM

just a message for i&i to think about

Whilst most Rastafarians take the code literally, others will accept and follow a number of the rules listed but ignore others.

no sharp implements to be used to damage Man, for example no trimming or shaving, no tattooing of the skin or cutting of the flesh.

As foretold in Leviticus 21:5: "They shall not make baldness upon their heads, neither shall they shave off the corner of their beard, nor make any cuttings in their flesh."

Messenger: Ras Raza Sent: 10/2/2014 9:48:39 AM

Yes I live up!

Messenger: RAS NATE Sent: 10/2/2014 10:29:06 AM

I agree on the beard and hair thing.
Some RasTafarI do have tattoos though.

And even the hair and beard beliefs may differ from Rasta to Rasta.Some shave and trim and still see themselves as Rasta becoz of their hearts.
And some people see someone having dreadlocks,beard and smoking marijuana as sufficient to be RastafarI (wich clearly isn't).So It's not always those things that define RasTafarI.Although I dunno the reason why a Ras would shave and trim.

Ites

Messenger: Ras Raza Sent: 10/2/2014 1:37:56 PM

If someone who is minor, RasTafarI and living with his/her parents is born in an family that believes in a another religion it can be hard for the person to live up the Ital way of life while still being dependent on his/her parents. For example if that person did not tell his/her family that he/she is RasTafari yet then that family does not know about that person being RasTa so that means that telling the family is the only solution to letting them know about the person being RasTafarI. And that can have as effect trouble and problems with the family. This is actually something Iman experienced.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 10/2/2014 2:43:09 PM

IF your not a practicing Nazarine then I see little relevance in the shave and trim thing. If you are, den it set.

A beard has always been Hebrew tradition but not necessarily African in the broadest sense.

I-burn tattoo.

But I have 0 interest in what a next ras want to do with him skin. tbh, tattoo (even tho I burn them) a African thing too

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 10/2/2014 11:12:46 PM

Yes JAH made I in JAH image and I don't wanna mess it up but build it up, the stone that the builder refuse will always be the had cornerstone, refusing artificial is choosing ital and natural , but I don't take free choice away, the living temple of I body's is a wonderful , take care of the place n the living JAH makes a dwelling place in Iya , that's why JAH is the Lord of Hosts,
Be a good host , Emmanuel I is guest. Blessed Haile Selassie I. IandI.

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 10/3/2014 12:42:37 PM

For some Idem de nazerite vow may be dem reason avoiding shavin n piercing but fo I man ital livity is why I avoid tatoo, shavin n piercing. I not a nazerite but an ancient Black heart man so I man embrace natural. Ital livity is more than de vegan diet, it includes de way I n I take care of I n I bodies. I just try by all means to keep I body in its natural state so no cut in I body (hair included), no paint, ink, dye or chemical in I body. Dats why even de locks of I hair come natural by itself.

Messenger: RAS NATE Sent: 10/3/2014 1:35:47 PM

Paint markings and tatoos were practiced amongst different African and Native American peoples from old times.

Ones should also keep in mind that there is also NATURAL tattoo ink.
Iman not advocating tattoo but also not saying it's bad in any way if with natural ink.
It doesn't change the person in any way other then a mark on his/her skin.

Blessed I I

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 10/3/2014 3:53:51 PM

Ancient livity: no body tatooin, piercin, cutin or what soever alterin done to de body. just don't temper with de natural state of de body . Brother de paintin done in some places ina Africa aint tatooin but a temporal markin to symbolise certain rituals (e.g. red soil is temporaly painted on de face of a wombman to perfom a marriage ritual dat symbolise de wombman to be queen to her kingman). Fireburn tatoos

Messenger: RAS NATE Sent: 10/3/2014 4:36:01 PM

'The earliest intimations of tattoos come from clay figurines dating to roughly 4000BCE. These female figurines are decorated with dots, dashes and lozenges. This was inconclusive evidence until the discovery and examination of preserved, mummified bodies, whose body designs closely echo the patterns etched on the figurines.

Among the best-preserved mummies is that of a woman from Thebes from Dynasty XI (2160-1994 BCE), whose tomb identifies her as Amunet, Priestess of Hathor. Sometimes described as a concubine of Mentuhotep II, tattoo patterns remain clearly visible on her flesh. No amulet designs for Amunet. Instead, she bore parallel lines on her arms and thighs and an elliptical pattern below the navel in the pelvic region.'

* http://kemet.faithweb.com/TattoosinAncientEgypt.html *

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 43

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I