Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5697&start_row=31

HELL

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 43
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/2/2014 1:29:51 PM

Not too sure King...... it is available online but the problem is the state of ruin which it is in.... Please share if you can find it

EDIT: The Text of the Earliest New Testament Greek Manuscripts. by Comfort and Barrett 2001 would be a good place to start. Infact I am going to look for this book it looks a good read

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/2/2014 3:48:01 PM

Verses alluding to SKY heaven

Acts 2:19 - "And I will shew wonders in heaven above"

John 3:13 - "And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, [even] the Son of man which is in heaven."

Colossians 3:2:"Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things" - words of Christ.

John 8:23: "But he continued, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world." - words of Christ.

This either suggests underlying Greek mythology or extra-terrestrial activity. Are these words suggesting Jesus is from outer space? The SON/SUN maybe? What 'none earthly' thing is 'above'? Or was it the same clouds which the Greek Gods were sat? Its also interesting to note that for many parts of the OT Heaven is described as a Living City rather than an after death sky thing.

John 8 is an interesting chapter actually, the following verse seems to agree with most Egyptologists that there was never any mass exodus or slavery in Ancient Egypt...

John 8:33 "They (JEWS) answered him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?”"

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 6/2/2014 4:10:55 PM

It seem strange to I dat Moses would write supm bout living til 70 or 80 when he is said to have live to 120 and his grandfather of Levi lived to be 137, his uncle Joseph to 110.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 6/2/2014 4:11:49 PM

John 8:33 interesting King!

Messenger: RAS-NATE-1995 Sent: 6/2/2014 4:14:10 PM

Yes I GA.

An interesting verse indeed.If what they say is true then the whole Exodus thing is a lie.But then again,it could be their arrogance against Yahshua that is demonstrated.Don't know...

And I think the above and below thing is more symbolic then in a literal sense.Like InI say the heathen can't reach the Ites InI dwell in for instance.So I think it's more about Iverstanding and wisdom wich is Ier(from above) then the babylonian(wordly,earthly) boasting wich is meant.Can't be sure though...

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/2/2014 5:53:50 PM

Christ says he is extra terrestrial ("not of this world" "I am from above"). This COULD be all symbolic as the I Nate says. I'm sure this is the conventional way to interpret. But iMan more with it being the the written thoughts of men who had a mindset embedded with Greek mythology......(Just like its easy to spot a JudeoChristian mindset in this time from a mile off)........ either that or he an alien for true!

If Jesus was really teaching these things then it doesn't explain why a large portion of Christians up until the council of Nicea, saw Christ as the messiah but NOT as an extension of God. It's as though those Christians have been forgotten about, as they must have forgotten about Christs teachings of not being from this earth. Too much doesn't add up with this whole thing

But to keep on topic..... SKY heaven is referred to in the NT, the Living City of Zion is referred to in the OT, but no mention of HELL other than though named Greek gods.

iRasta subscribe to the Living Heaven and Hell on earth. Up to the Idem which one the I shall seek in this time.

Haile I Selassie I the 1st

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 6/2/2014 10:41:10 PM

Ras Nate and Garvey's Africa,

The picture I posted was a representation of hell painted by an Ethiopian monk from Debre Berhan Selassie monastery. I find Ethiopian Orthodox iconography to be quite fascinating and I thought the picture was relevant to the post as a non-western Christian representation of "hell". I'm not trying to "prove" the existence of "hell" or convince the I's to change the I's viewpoints. As Haile Selassie I was intimately involved in the EOTC I would assume Selassie I would have believed in EOTC doctrines about "Satan" and "hell".

I disagree that the Bible does not mention topics relating to "hell", because throughout the Bible concepts such as Sheol, the grave,"weeping and knashing of teeth", "where the worm dieth not". These verses must be speaking of some kind of punishment in the afterlife. When the New Testament was translated into Greek the Greek word "Hades" was subsituted for the Hebrew word "Sheol" as Hades was the closest Greek word in meaning to the Hebrew word,even though the word "Hades" originates from Greek mythology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheol

Hell, the bottomless pit, etc. has been mentioned by Rastas such as Bunny Wailer in the song "Old Dragon", so apparently some Rasta site concepts such as "Satan" and "hell". Also Peter Tosh mentions "Satan and Lucifer".

Here's a link to a Sikh interpretation of "heaven" and "hell", Sikhs site that heaven and hell are states of being within OneSelf, as Christ is a State of consciousness. The Guru in the video reasons that "Heaven is within you, and you either live in Heaven right now, or you live in hell, right now. Because when you leave your body, what happens to you is a reflection of your consciousness right now. It's not some reward or punishment. Hell is the feeling of being alone, I have to take care of myself, I have to manage my own life - a state of being broken. While heaven is everytime you look into someone's eyes, you see God."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCeFUNj6VJA

As for I view, I see heaven and hell as not some literal physical place, but as states of being. I do site that their will be a Judgement Day, and I think the Righteous will be with Jah and the Wicked will be cast away from Jah into complete nothingness.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/3/2014 12:20:31 AM

re: Sheol.

Sheol is the 'hell' of the OT. What you are saying about the original being Sheol and th e Greeks retranslating it is a theory without having the copy of the papyri mentioned to actually see the ancient hebrew we don't have much to rely on. The blue letter bible sight it as the original before the 'Hell' translation. https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G86&t=KJV

That still doesn't explain Taratus....... But thats not the elephant in the room. The bible is full of coincidence. The fact the NT was written in Hellenistic times we are seeing indirect evidence of Greek mythology influencing the style of writing of the Bible text; this is relevant. Whether they substituted names or not these are the points of reference for all Bibles.....The original manuscripts are in ruins / lost in history. To suggest the Greek overstanding of Gods, the devil, heaven and hell didn't bare influence on the concept suggested by the NT and Christianity as a whole, is similar to saying the Hebrews knew nothing of the negative confessions by the time Moses 'received' the commandments.

RASpect Ras Eleazar, Haile I

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/3/2014 12:21:08 AM

Apparently there is no available 'hebrew' original of the verse mentioned.

http://www.kjvtoday.com/home/revelation

There Are Relatively Few Early Manuscripts for Revelation

Before brushing aside those so-called "late minority" readings, one must realize that Revelation is unlike the rest of the books of the Bible. There are only 287 extant Greek manuscripts of Revelation in comparison with 2361 of the Gospels, 662 of Acts and General Epistles, and 792 of Paul's letters (Kurt Aland and Barbara Aland, The Text of the New Testament (Eerdmans, 1987), pp. 78-79, 83.). Of these, only the following 16 are from before the 10th century:

Name Century Verses included
P18 III/IV 1:4-7
P24 IV 5:5-8; 6:5-8
P43 VI/VII 2:12-13; 15:8-16:2
P47 III 9:10-11:3; 11:5-16:15; 16:17-17:2
P85 IV/V 9:19-10:1.5-9
P98 II(?) 1:13-20
P115 III/IV 2:1-3, 13-15, 27-29; 3:10-12; 5:8-9; 6:4-6; 8:3-8, 11-13; 9:1-5, 7-16, 18-21; 10:1-4, 8; 11:5, 8-15, 18-19; 12:1-6, 9-10, 12-17; 13:1-3, 6-12, 13-16, 17-18; 14:1-3, 5-7, 10-11, 14-16, 18-20; 15:1, 5-7.
Aleph IV All
A V All
C V All except 1:1-2; 3:20-5:14; 7:14-17; 8:5-:16; 10:10-11:3; 16:13-18:2; 19:5-22:21
025 IX All except 16:12-17:1; 19:21-20:9; 22:6-22:21
0163 V 16:17-20
0169 IV 3:19-4:3
0207 IV 9:2-15
0229 VIII 18:16-17; 19:4-6
0308 IV 11:15-16; 17-18

Most of these 16 early manuscripts ("early", being used generously here) do not even have the complete text of Revelation. Thus for any given passage there may only be about 4 or 5 manuscripts from before the 10th century. Revelation is an extremely difficult text to reconstruct if we were to use only the evidence that remains today. With only 4 or 5 early manuscripts for a given passage, it is difficult to ascertain whether these mere few provide the most reliable form of any given passage. No modern statistical study would be based on a sample size as small as 4 or 5. The minority Byzantine text-type termed the Andreas text-type, which agrees with Erasmus' Reuchlin manuscript, ought to be given fair weight in these circumstances. The assumption that late manuscripts contain late readings is refuted in the following page: Aren't older manuscripts more reliable? The Reuchlin manuscript which dates to the 12th century is not that late in comparison with the majority of manuscripts of Revelation. Moreover, there is reason to believe that the majority of manuscripts of Revelation may be corrupt due to the unique canonical and textual history of Revelation. The following section which justifies the use of the Vulgate for Revelation also applies to the use of minority Greek readings.

Messenger: RAS-NATE-1995 Sent: 6/3/2014 4:31:12 AM

Yes Iya Eleazar.

I agree with the I that a man is his own heaven and hell.But I don't think H.I.M.'s thinking and wisdom is limited to any religion or doctrine or belief in a hell.Remember,RasTafarI's Iverstanding is unsearchable.So i see it go much deeper than common christianity...

As for the OT,I have only heard of a place called Gehenna.But the maximum amount of time that one could be there as a punishment was 12 months.And even before entering at the gates,one could repent and go to Gan-Eden.

Give thanks for the posts GA.A good explanation.

BLESSED

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 43

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I