Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5688&start_row=1

Where does Iyaric end and Jamaican begin?

1 - 1011 - 18
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Path Walker Sent: 5/28/2014 11:48:54 AM

The recent reasonings on Iyaric got me thinking. Some Ras outside of Jamaica seem to really blur the line between using Iyaric and Jamaican slang/dialect. At what point do the I site this going from using upful word sound, to appropriating a tounge that is not your own? Or do the I see it as no issue at all?

thanks for your time and consideration, JAH bless

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/28/2014 12:14:46 PM

Good point!

I would think Iyaric is I-anything. Ipad is a form of Iyaric. And thats it?

But all of it is the descendant of Jamaican culture. Africans, domicilie on a former slave plantation island. Even brothers and sistren from different carribean islands will relate and adopt a similar culture of language. Infact, patois and Iyaric is rampant certain places in Africa with people whe never travel to the carribean. Just through them being able to relate.......

'black culture'

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/28/2014 1:12:50 PM

Some of we just don't like to use 'English BC grammar'

2 minutes 18...

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 5/28/2014 2:11:22 PM

Well dealin wit Rastafari one will deffenitely deal wit Jamaicans and in larger areas in d US and UK Jamaicans will b most numerous so one would naturally pick up some dialect of the dominant group espicially when supm is associated with that group. It makes communication easier. Also Jamaican Patois is like the strongest bridge between d English speaking diaspora and African pidgin tho others have livin links also. But when one is used to hearing certain things said a certain way then it's jus natural to say dat way. Like say where I live jus like everybody else we have our dialect/slang but that dialect doesn't talk Iyaric. When I hear I talk its usually Jamaicans or people who been around Jamaicans so talkin Iyaric in my own tounge is not natural tho I try talk it but a Jamaican tone will come out, people in the states usually say we sound Caribbean anyway for some reason..??

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 5/28/2014 2:28:32 PM

Blessed love Iyahs.
Much RASpect to the Elders who have seen the growth of Iyaric from Jamaican Patois.
In this time with RasTafarI worldwide, Iwombman think Iyaric has branched further from a Jamaican accent (I&I don't wanna call Iyaric a "die-alect"). I&I see Iyaric as a very Intentional tongue, every syllable chosen carefully for the purpose of UPliftmant of I&I JAH. I have to focus and speak slowly to speak in Iyaric, but Iwombman natural inclination is to use all these "me, you, them" words. I&I practice Iyaric to cleanse I mind from those divisive ideas and from death sounds.
Jamaican Patois or whichever accent a person may have is unintentional and usually comes with culture, but also may be a speech impediment or a genetic inability to pronounce certain sounds (rolling an R).
All people with all accents can speak Iyaric. It is a tongue promoting Inity and love and lIfe. So whatever that sounds like to I&I, it might not sound Jamaican at all. Or like Iyah Ruutz Man say, it could have influences from Patois if I&I spend time w Jamaicans even if I&I do not come from Jamaica. People tend to speak like their peers as well!
Much LOVE I&I

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/28/2014 2:49:25 PM

Jamaican Patois or whichever accent a person may have is unintentional and usually comes with culture, but also may be a speech impediment or a genetic inability to pronounce certain sounds (rolling an R).

^^Jamaicans who speak patois do not have a speech impediment or genetic inability.

What most people fail to realise, almost every Jamaican (reggae artist or not) are grown up in schools which speak the QUEENS english. The average Jamaican speaks English better than the English.

Patois..... is Jamaican form of slang. It is optional, and cultural like you did say. But has nothing to do with genetics or speech impediment. Patois is not an accent. Patois is a language as much as English is a language. Iyaric comes from a consciousness of patois-speaking Rastafari

English isn't only for the English as French isnt only for the French. So why would a language from the carribean be limited to the carribean if ones want to learn? Ones are free to do so..... as long as ones recognise the root.

Make sense?

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 5/28/2014 2:52:34 PM

Apologies for miscommunicating that thought King. I&I had generalized further at that point in the sentence, not talking about Jamaicans anymore but just a person who may have a lisp or whatever the case may be (I was actually thinking of Iwombman older brother who has a lisp, it is an accent in itself). Iwombman never meant to say that Jamaicans have less ability to speak, I was generalizing to all people.
Blessed love Ras.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/28/2014 3:01:19 PM

Seen and overstood.

Historically, people have associated Patois speaking Rastafari as "talking like that" because we are inferior, or under-educated, or insane.......

On a lighter note, anyone heard of Empress Itilafeyah? Combines her US accent with Patois/Iyaric inna wicked combination, I'l leave this thread with a riddim. Language free to ALL (Just if you are going to use somebody elses dialect, be careful not to look foolish IF you try adopt the accent too!!) BlessED

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 5/28/2014 3:07:33 PM

Off topic a lil, Garvey's Africa is there still Maroon/Cromanti people in JA? I ask a lady where I work about dem an she laughed say I was d first american to ask her bout dem but say dem people ancient dont have anymore in JA. Iman watch thing where dis JA linguist say dey speak a form of Patois dats way different from normal JA patois and can b hard for most JA to understand and in dis video some of girls wit d linguist seemed not to understand alot of wat d Maroon man was saying.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 5/28/2014 3:12:22 PM

Glad d I brung her back to I mind, I was listening to her one day
Give Thanks Iyah!

1 - 1011 - 18

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I