Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5687&start_row=1

The Case For Reparations 2014 - Ta Nehisi Coates

1 - 1011 - 14
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/28/2014 7:01:25 AM

Great article.

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/05/the-case-for-reparations/361631/
http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/05/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

The Case for Reparations
Two hundred fifty years of slavery. Ninety years of Jim Crow. Sixty years of separate but equal. Thirty-five years of racist housing policy. Until we reckon with our compounding moral debts, America will never be whole.
Ta-Nehisi Coates
MAY 21, 2014

How the 'Jews' got 7 billion dollars for reparations of the holocaust and the descendants of the enslaved Africans still haven't received a thing is beyond me. No its not, it's typical white supremacy......

"West Germany ultimately agreed to pay Israel 3.45 billion deutsche marks, or more than $7 billion in today’s dollars. Individual reparations claims followed—for psychological trauma, for offense to Jewish honor, for halting law careers, for life insurance, for time spent in concentration camps. Seventeen percent of funds went toward purchasing ships. “By the end of 1961, these reparations vessels constituted two-thirds of the Israeli merchant fleet,” writes the Israeli historian Tom Segev in his book The Seventh Million. “From 1953 to 1963, the reparations money funded about a third of the total investment in Israel’s electrical system, which tripled its capacity, and nearly half the total investment in the railways.”

Israel’s GNP tripled during the 12 years of the agreement. The Bank of Israel attributed 15 percent of this growth, along with 45,000 jobs, to investments made with reparations money. But Segev argues that the impact went far beyond that. Reparations “had indisputable psychological and political importance,” he writes."

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/28/2014 7:01:45 AM

Messenger: Path Walker Sent: 5/28/2014 10:19:56 AM

Give thanks for the article, educating read.

InI just wish Iman had a better idea how to facilitate the shift in consciousness the author talks about. Obviously I can work on the self and help to inform the opinions of the open-eyed people InI encounter. However the biggest problem is and has always been those who are content in their ignorance. Their numbers are large and their position is static, how do we move them?

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 5/28/2014 11:24:13 AM

Reparations? To who individuals, committees, programs? Pan African Organizations, schooling, business grants, REPARTRIATIONS?????????????? What's the catch would behind d US complying with reparations, only for they're benefit huh. I have PanAfrican Sunsum I not into nationalize talk to dat accepting whitesupremecy. To all owe all not dis an dat one owe dis an dat one. When dis crime start on dis land there was NO USA, it was d British. The french started yah in Louisiana then d spanish then d usa, so britian, france and spain dont have to pay for they part cha? Spanish in Jamaica and other places that had shift of control as Europeans fought over territory. Also they had bukoo moving around go on its not like everyone got one place an jus stayed, no families were continually split from state to state, island to island, country to country, continent to continent. US slavers got alot of Blacks from d Islands, people who had kids and kids who had parents still on d islands so the US should pay for dat. Many US black ended up on Islands again US France Spain Portugal England etc pay up!!!

Reparations, no REPARTRIATIONS???? Guess he forgot Jews got LAND!

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/28/2014 11:58:36 AM

Pathwalker.

I agree. And share your concerns. I want freedom and justice for all African peoples. However, as you have said, many of us have become content in our ignorance. Thats not all our fault still..... the introduction of the fraudulent welfare state was designed to pacify the internal need for revolution and fight for justice. Along with the media propaganda and CIA infiltration of all of our militant groups (Rasta included); that lead to many of us turning from the natural revolutionary Mandinka spirit, to becoming passive integrationists with no care of history or culture....... I agree this is a problem. .......................... I believe the place to start is with the home, and especially with the woman and young mothers. It may be too late for many of the older / current generation. An African proverb is to teach a man is to teach an individual but to teach a woman is to teach a Nation.....

Good thing about reparations though, even the 'unconscious' won't take too much encouragement to get onboard for the cause if its about a $$ or form of wealth. You know how people are.....

VoodDooRuutz

Again, 100. But we need to start somewhere.... and we need to start now. Your completely right, but whether the entire Western world pay some form of reparations to the entire African world synchronised at the same point of time...... Or whether it has to happen country by country and piece by piece ... I dont care. As long as it happens. Too much talk when it comes to this issue.

If America did lead by good example and pay reparations to even just the descendants of slaves living in America alone. This would then cause the CARICOM countries to rise up and demand reparations from their former colonial countries. Once ONE country admits their wrong and begins the process of reparations it will be very hard in International law for the other countries to back out..... We just need to get the ball rolling

But I think not only the descendants of slaves in the diaspora and America need reparations...... I think Africa as a continent in itself needs a form of Reparations too. How Europe Underdeveloped Africa by Walter Rodney is a book babylon want to act like them no know about. I also am with you King reparations is not just money. LAND has to be discussed too. All i'm saying is we need to get something started.

How things look now it might not be America first, certain carribean islands (St Vincent & Grenadines especially) have recently been pushing the case on an international level.

Give thanks and praise

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/28/2014 12:10:54 PM

1 excuse I keep hearing from babylonian sources:

Reparations can only be paid to a body or Nation of people (??If true or not). Black people (In America) call themselves Black, African, African-American, Negro..... none of which represent a Nation. Black people first need to agree on a common term to describe themselves which ties them to a certain land mass. I think this is where the Moors have a case....... I don't know if this applies to the Diaspora, as they operate as Independant Nations (but not at the time of slavery.....)....... ???

wha de i think?

Messenger: Path Walker Sent: 5/28/2014 12:31:35 PM

It is as you say, an excuse, and a poor one at that. One of Babylon's great tricks in America has been to create an entire country with no national identity. Black man will tell you he's African because in most cases his ability to learn his country of origin has been stolen. Every other race will tell you where their granddaddy came from. It seems the only ones willing to claim "American" loud and proud are often the blind, deaf, and dumb who are in lockstep with the shitstem. We are country of people too ashamed in our nation to call it our own.

Bit of a tangent there, but basically... How are you going to steal a man's home and then demand he gives you an address to pay him back at?

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/28/2014 12:44:14 PM

'You don't ask for what is yours, you TAKE it' - Malcolm X.

Playing the law game is only 1 strategy.

I have come to the point where I no longer care how it is done or what we call ourselves. We just need what is rightfully ours

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 5/28/2014 1:43:33 PM

True talk d I speak, d I right it need to start some where. One thing wit d nation notion, what nation was inslaved? To many to name, u know like Mandinka, Igbo, Fanti, Bakongo and so on so dat might b a tricky one dey hold on to. Since d I mention dat now I see d Jews case, they were imprisoned and free under the same name I guess, Jews. With black it's much more complicated playin with legal terms of a nation . So does say Jamaican Blacks operate as "Jamaicans" in dis, then wouldn't dat notion of a nation include say the Chinese there also? thing, I kno Rastafari deh in d Islands is a major factor in dis push, but of da politrickal bodies pushing for dis what are their motives, high society ones dat look down on and exclude poorer usually darker blacks now, how much more then..?? I think Africa needs reparations also but close mouth don't get fed, that side need to speak up well all of us need to b Inited in dis and let it be known OPENLY! If St Vincent and the Grenadines are closer then whatever support the rest of us could give we should give them to help push it forward there to start it off again OPENLY!

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/29/2014 1:19:16 PM

True dat. I hear you king, InI ah 1 voice. This should be promoted like occupy pinnacle, put media pressure on dem....threaten boycotts and thing. Give thanks to see movement still

Read on:

bigstory.ap.org/article/caribbean-adopts-plan-seek-slavery-reparations

america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/9/27/14-caribbean-nationssueeuropeancountriesforreparationsoverslaver.html

1 - 1011 - 14

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I