Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5662&start_row=1

Nyabinghi Drums

1 - 10
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 5/13/2014 9:57:10 PM

Greetings Kings and Queens, rIghteous love and Inity JAH RasTafarI
I&I were reasoning today about "Ital" as an idea with many facets, the I being a man who eats many plant foods along with fish and eggs and cheese but not red meat, and Iself as a wombman who eats only, but not all, plant foods.
I&I spoke of the animal skin on Nyabinghi drums, and how the use and/or love of those drums and the Nyabinghi heartbeat does not necessarily equate to the eating of the goats that the skins come from. But obviously for some, eating the meat is acceptable, and for some it is not. (I have still never met a Ras who argues against using the Nyabinghi drums due to their animal skins.)
How do the I's reason on these matters: first, of enjoying the use Nyabinghi drums but avoiding eating meat, and the reasons for those choices; second, using items such as leather shoes, belts, furs, ivory, etc, but avoiding eating meat, and the reasons for those choices.
All other Ipinions on this matter also Ippreciloved.
Bless-sings I&I.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 5/13/2014 10:02:23 PM

Iwombman reasoning on these matters:
I have not always eaten strictly plant foods. So during the time before this change, I did not have any qualms about buying and/or using animal products such as leather. In fact I would prefer real animal products to synthetic ones, because of the natural state and also because they are usually more durable. So certain things, I would invest in, like a certain wool coat. Those things, I still have, because they have not worn out yet. And I still have use of them, and I find it wasteful to discard something to replace it with a new version of the same thing, even if the version is more "ethically sound". Some items I have given away to friends or family, but not all at this time.
At this time Iwombman try very hard not to purchase items that fund businesses whose practices undermine Iwombman ethical code. I realize that sheep are not killed when their wool is shorn. But the conditions under which most sheep are bred and raised are, in Iwombman sIght, abominable. And it is easier to not buy wool than it is to find out where the wool came from and whether or not I wish to sUPport that business (because the answer is most-likely no). This attempt for Iwombman to purchase items that are ethically sound for I applies to animal items and other items, such as chemical home cleaners.
Nyabinghi drums, on the other hand, are usually hand crafted, and the goat skins usually come from goats herded by Idren in open land in Ifrica. The purchase and use of Nyabinghi drums, if well researched and wisely chosen, will sUPport 1) the Idren who makes and sells the drum, 2) the Idren herder who sold the skins to the I, 3) the I's who are fed by the goat, who may go hungry if not for this business of herding goats and selling their skin. The goats are raised in a comparatively RASpectable way, taking into account that they are born naturally and not cloned, raised on grass in open land instead of fed GMO cornmeal, etc.
So, this is why Iwombman sUPport the players and makers of these blessed instruments, but do not use most other animal products, aside from the ones I already have (and will replace in due time with products more ethically agreeable for Iwombman).
I&I reasons for eating plant foods have always gone far beyond the treatment of animals, so Iwombman would let the other I's eat the meat of the goat if the I's wish, still I will Itinue to love the harps.

Messenger: Ras Raza Sent: 5/14/2014 3:14:47 AM

Give Ise for this blessed subject.

Iman do not have a problem with the Nyabinghi drums wether Akete, Funde or Thunder. It is better to use the skin of an animal wether goat, cow or sheep or another animal for an Nyabinghi drum then to waste it by throwing it away or to let it rot away after the animal is dead and also other Intentions.

HowIver Iman think it would be better to use an alternative like: fibers from plants, leaves from plants or perhaps stems and stalks even. I have never seen a Nyahbinghi drum made of plant material only though, not on the internet and not in daily Ife.

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 5/14/2014 8:32:59 AM

Nyahbinghi drums are now being made by canvas no longer animal skin.

Messenger: Ras Raza Sent: 5/14/2014 8:55:34 AM

I did not know that, Give Ises. But I think that there are still some/many People who might use animal skin to make a Binghi drum. I, I.

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 5/14/2014 9:13:11 AM

The issue was reasoned by elders Iwaz ago,and it was concluded leather wasnt Ital even on drums.

Its Only canvas we are deal with now

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 5/14/2014 9:34:14 AM

Wow Zion Mtn, I was not aware of that. I still only see them with skins. Maybe the ones I am seeing were made a long time ago?
Do the canvas drum heads make the same sound?

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 5/14/2014 9:58:00 AM

Giv thanks to ones fo dis upful reasoning. I also look foward to livin free of animal skin Binghi drums n animal products in clothing. Blessed Fire.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/14/2014 10:06:10 AM

Not EATING animals and using Goat skin drum / leather shoe are two different things. There are 100 reasons I can think of not to eat meat, the fact it was once living is one. For many, it may not be the most significant...

And is true, many Rasta are farmers which may own goat / cattle. Whether ones are actively going out and killing these animals just to make drum I don't know. I would say if a goat was to dead from any other reason, why not make use of it skin?

The Kete Drum is such a significant part of our history we can't lef it!

Another reasoning from the black-hearted man:
http://jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=4422

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 5/14/2014 8:14:43 PM

Give thanks for sharing that link Garveys Africa. I had searched the forum before I posted the reasoning, but I didn't see that one.
I agree completely that eating meat is a totally different thing, for one because I know the adverse affects meat has on Iwombman health. Wearing leather is not detrimental to I physical health in any way I know of.
More love Iyahs. Give thanks for sharing I&I views on this topic.

1 - 10

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I