Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=563&start_row=21

www.jah-rastafari.com

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 29
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: NineMile2004 Sent: 1/20/2005 9:52:12 AM

Idren, I feel many are getting to particular and technical trying to analyze things. I am sure it is a great place and gatherings.

Blessings
Bergy

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 1/21/2005 3:28:41 AM

Yes my bredren, like you so simply, but wisely stated, that it is a place with many wonderful reasonings which was its purpose in the first place, not to be the one and only Official place, but a place were the Rastafari could come in to rest from this battle, pray, chant, and give thanks, nothing more.

Messenger: gideon Sent: 1/22/2005 10:46:28 AM

Brethren, please get me clear. I am not saying anything about the site, about the brethren on the site, or about those who call themselves elders. I do not know them, so I can't make any comments about them.
I am just reminding the Brethren here that words are very important, because that is how a nation unites. The African nation today is united in spirit, but that is not enough, we need to be united in mind also to realize our full glory as a people. This process of becoming united in mind has to do with words.

If someone makes a statement they should be able to explain exactly what they are saying and back it up with reasons.
So far, from listening to people, the word elder signifies someone with greater knowledge, who because of his knowledge and experience can teach others. I don't have a problem with this concept because it is obvious to me that people do teach people. So if someone is called an elder of Nyah Binghi it should be becuase they know more about Nyah Binghi.

But you have to be fair and true when using words, or your words can become a stumbling block. The only way you should call someone an elder is if you have reasoned with that person and you know that they are an elder. In this case you will be expressing your opinion that the person is an elder, and that is your right to express your opinions.
But if you can express your opinion then I can express mine too. And my opinion is that nobody knows who the elders are. I think that everybody is an elder of Nyah Binghi, and different people might be more knowledgeable about certain aspects at certain times depending on the situation. So for that reason I don't use the word elder and I don't encourage its use. That's my opinion.
How can ones here be angry at me for expressing my opinion when that's supposedly what this site is about?

I know that many times people call ones elders based on hearsay. You don't know those men but you still refer to them as elders just because you heard someone else call them elders. That is the utmost foolishness. You have a mind so use it. What Ark says is right, the only way to know is if you sense it for yourself. So that's exactly why you shouldn't repeat what you heard and call them elders when you don't know them.
It is that kind of practice that is divisive, because it is dividing us from knowledge of ourselves and it stops us from being able to trust the words of our brethren, and it stops the flow of knowledge.

A thing is what it is. So let us use words properly so that we can build on our knowledge. That is how we can establish the African nation - wordsound and power.
That is all I have been saying, and people are still fighting the truth that is so simple. This is not some personal attack against anyone, it's just simple truth. Who don't have ears to hear, well too bad, it's not my fault....... The duty of the messenger is only to deliver the message, not to make anyone accept it.

Only what is, is. And it is only what it is. That's our foundation. Anything else is a fake and I stand and it falls.

Messenger: NineMile2004 Sent: 1/22/2005 10:02:00 PM

Gideon,

I agree, hear-say is not the best means to declare someone an elder.
I also agree it is hard to say about anyone if he is an elder in general and in particular if you have not reasoned and learned some of his/her knowledge. I see brethren/sistren with much knowledge and many good deeds and I would consider them elders. Maybe we should define the word elder. Many brethren/sistren have much experience/knowledge etc in certain areas.

To me a great accomplishment is to actively be conscious of ones self and therefore act and speak righteously. Even wise men will make mistakes, they can be wise but still weak in other areas which just shows us how complex it is to live JAH-like.

One Love,

Bergy

Messenger: gideon Sent: 1/23/2005 9:44:00 AM

A man must make a stand. This whole thing started when someone said that a certain site is the official nyah binghi site for Toronto and someone said that it is so because of the word of the elders.
We are talking about a practical situation where people use words without any real meaning, and it can be misleading - a potential stumbling block.
There is no room for compromise here, either it is correct or incorrect to call them elders. My simple position has been that it is not correct, and I showed that we do not know these people so it is wrong to call them elders.
Either a word is true or false. There is no compromise here. It was wrong to call them elders and it is wrong to call the site THE official site of Nyah Binghi for Toronto.
False is false. I am speaking truth and it is clear to see.

Messenger: gideon Sent: 1/23/2005 10:17:38 AM

I am about the tradition of truth. Someone says someone is an elder without even knowing the person then I speak against it. Repeating hearsay like if it is true knowledge is a bullshit tradition, not the tradtion of truth.

Messenger: the rock Sent: 1/23/2005 10:33:08 AM

: 1. Greater than another in age or seniority.
2. Superior to another or others, as in rank.
NOUN: 1. An older person.
2. An older, influential member of a family, tribe, or community.
3. One of the governing officers of a church, often having pastoral or teaching functions.

ETYMOLOGY: Middle English eldre, from Old English eldra. See al-2 in Appendix I.
OTHER FORMS: elder·ship —NOUN

USAGE NOTE: The adjective elder is not a synonym for elderly. In comparisons between two persons, elder means “older” but not necessarily “old”: My elder sister is sixteen; my younger, twelve. (Eldest is used when three or more persons are compared: He is the eldest of four brothers.) In other contexts elder does denote relatively advanced age but with the added component of respect for a person's achievement, as in an elder statesman. If age alone is to be expressed, one should use older or elderly rather than elder: A survey of older Americans; an elderly waiter. •Unlike elder and its related forms, the adjectives old, older, and oldest are applied to things as well as to persons.

I do not know anything about the Ifficial House of Nyahbinghi of Toronto,but i do know that all people in some way show respect to elders.If this was not the case then they or you would not be a rasta,you would not right words of the english language, and you would not have faith in a book talking about aman with god in him walking on water.but maybe you would but it would be contradicting faith..

onelove

Messenger: gideon Sent: 1/23/2005 11:12:36 AM

Correctly said.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 1/23/2005 1:35:02 PM

Gideon,

By the same thought as yours, what authority do you have to call yourself Gideon, and what authority do you have to say that the things you speak are the ultimate truth?

Ifficial to I might not be Ifficial to you, but I am not interested in Living my Life by the demands of others. The only things I listen to from others are things that I am convinced are valid and something I should deal with.

You talk about hearsay. The Ifficial Nyahbinghi House of Toronto is not hearsay to I, it is what I know. Your claims on this and your other philosophies are the hearsay, and I will not base I Life on your hearsay.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 29

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I