Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5481&start_row=1

PINNACLE

1 - 1011 - 12
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/31/2014 12:27:08 PM

Whats the latest?

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/1/2014 5:53:19 AM

Forward to 15 minutes in.

Kabaka pyramid and Chronixx hold a heated reasoning on Pinnacle last week on cutting edge with Muta

http://youtu.be/PcC_0ljuWbA

Messenger: Levite I Sent: 2/4/2014 10:16:59 PM

Hail the man Mosiah Garveys Afuraska,
Ones and ones cyan overlook dis struggle right yah now. I-man sight nuff labba labba when Rastafari have nuff works fi do.

Give ises for starting dis thread.

Qedamawi I

Listen and hold a medi to dis yah now with Empress Donisha, i-man really feel the i-cerity throughout this ini-view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r3Iv7roh7k

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 2/5/2014 3:34:25 AM

What was the reasoning?Can the Is explain wa gwaan.Some of us cant access youtube

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/12/2014 2:22:58 PM

I NEED AN UPDATE

05/02/14
Rastafarians return to #OccupyPinnacle
Activists fight to keep Jamaica's first Rastafarian village free from development.

Students pose for a photo by a mural of Rastafarian founding father Leonard P. Howell in Tredegar Park, Jamaica below a hilltop known as "Pinnacle", on January 4, 2014. (AP Photo/David McFadden)

Rastafarians in Jamaica have formed a protest campaign to return to Pinnacle, the island's first Rastafarian village. The 'Occupy Pinnacle' movement, which includes Bob Marley's granddaughter Donisha Prendergast and other Rastafarian leaders, is demanding the government return some 473 acres of land.

Recent plans by a developer to build on the hilltop of Pinnacle provoked demonstrations.

SC Zarantonello @decolonizedmind
Follow
#OccupyPinnacle is working to stop developers in Jamaica from destroying this site sacred to Rastas #nothingissacred #capitalismdestroys
8:05 AM - 2 Feb 2014

Five Steez @FiveSteez
Follow
The Jamaican government is stealing RasTafari indigenous land. Let's put an end to it. #OccupyPinnacle http://fb.me/XfPWXIn5

Rashika Powell ♥; @rashi_belle
Follow
Fight against injustice, u might think it doesn't affect you BUT today its pinnacle, tomorrow might be your community. #OccupyPinnacle
6:41 PM - 29 Jan 2014

I'm down with the cause of preserving Rastafari heritage. #occupyPinnacle @Liveat7ja @emilynationwide @TVJGM

The village of Pinnacle was founded in the 1930s by Rastafarian pioneer Leonard P. Howell. At its peak, Pinnacle was home to 4500 settlers before British colonial forces razed the village in 1954.
The ruins of Howell's house were declared a national heritage site but Howell's descendants claim four other plots of land also belong to the Rastafarian community. However, in November, a magistrate found that Pinnacle was owned by the development company. Rastafarians are appealing the magistrate's decision. Online, users shared photos with a saying attributed to Howell.
#occupypinnacle #rastafari #leonardhowell

After three different Rastafarian groups met with government officials last week, the Ministry of Youth and Culture announced the developer would refrain from building on the land for now.

For demonstrators like Prendergast, this is not sufficient. She writes on Facebook:

We have NOT come to any kind of FINAL AGREEMENT with the Government. Yes, there was a meeting yesterday and discussions have begun... Still, we move forward. You can't convince I & I to forget. We look forward to the solidarity on the ground from our International Brothers and Sisters. #wewillnotfight #victoryisassured #letjahwillbedone #carefuldifirehot! Only together. #occupypinnacle #mightcannotdefeatright

Robert Gordon, an Occupy Pinnacle leader, says the community will go to an international court, should Jamaican authorities not fulfill their request.

Critics of the movement paint a different picture of the Rastafarian community's connection to Pinnacle. In a column local historian Louis Moyston disputes the Rastafarians' claim and argues that Howell himself never tried to regain Pinnacle. Moyston writes:

There is no claim that any Rastafari group can make on Pinnacle lands. The negotiation for a national heritage site is accepted in general and no confrontation is required. Those people demonstrating would not be supported by Leonard P Howell.

Messenger: Sister Sent: 2/26/2014 3:53:15 PM

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/THE_PRIME_MINISTER_OF_JAMAICA_THE_RIGHT_HONOURABLE_PORTIA_SIMPSON_MILLER_STOP_THE_EVICTION_OF_RASTAFARI_FROM_PINNACLE/?copy

Petition to stop eviction from Pinnacle

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 2/26/2014 8:56:35 PM

Give Thanks for the link.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/27/2014 12:56:13 AM

Give thanks let's reach 20,000. I don't know if this hasn't expired? As the petition has been out for a while and the court order for the plot of land on pinnacle was from the beginning of February. The last I knew we were waiting to hear from the appeal / case put forward by Ras Miguel ( Lawyer). But it's worth every continued effort. And I've heard no recent news re:pinnacle for the past 2 weeks.

PLEASE KEEP SIGNING THE PETITION

Free Up My Fathers Land!
#Howellites

Messenger: Sister Sent: 3/28/2014 3:18:58 AM

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/28/2014 1:53:32 PM

Give thanks Sister!

1 - 1011 - 12

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I