Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5480&start_row=1

Meaning of Garvey

1 - 1011 - 13
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Sister Sent: 1/31/2014 6:27:16 AM

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/31/2014 1:33:22 PM

Sister. I first would like to apologise for the tangent this thread may well follow after my post.

The black people in this video keep on talking of Garvey and his preaching of 'Seeing God through your OWN eyes.' See the brother at 6 minutes for the first example....

Seeing God through your own Eyes.

My question - which i have been asking for an eternity - is IF Garvey is a PILLAR / Central point of Rastafari. And Garvey taught us to see God in your own image - through your own eyes - if black this meant Ethiopia / African / black God - as you see yourself.

Then how could a white person for example, sight the message of Garvey, and end up at Haile Selassie?

It seems like an oxymoron, a living misconception of 1 of Garveys main messages.

-Garveys Africa never say Whites or anybody cannot be Rasta. Garveys Africa is only asking logical question. Lets keep the responses the same.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/31/2014 1:46:14 PM

Great video by the way.

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 1/31/2014 2:28:47 PM

Fyah Garvey

Messenger: Sister Sent: 2/1/2014 7:49:33 AM

A fair question if its an issue to you. I have never knowingly met a self-proclaimed white Ras in person, but it’s a question with a lot of answers surely.

The significance of a western black person (I don’t like the terms ‘white’ and ‘black’ as they’re divisive government classifications, inaccurate and backwards-facing but for the sake of this I will use) revering the image/idea of a white Jesus / white Christianity as their saviour, and a liberated white person acknowledging the King of Kings and what he represents, are two very different scenarios. If ‘God in ones own image’ means literally a mortal deity with similar skin tone, eye and hair colour, ancestral nationality, white people could be wrong to look to Jesus also. I know that white people parodying black people can be the target of ridicule for identity confusion, but why more so than black identification with the west? A similar scenario could be that of the Babylonian woman, thoroughly identified with a paternalistic, exploitative regime that keeps her sisters in downpression, imaging she has freedom, and the man who recognises this and chooses not to exploit her but to support her growth as another human spiritual being – he can know truth, recognise right from wrong, guide a sister, but can he be feminist if he is male? I would say in his actions he can, but he cannot experience femininity in the first person, though his presence is greeted with appreciation.

Asserting strong identity creates a clear ‘other’ category and white skin / white mind does not fit where blackness is raised up, but, where spiritual livity is concerned there are no boundaries, consciousness expresses itself as us, over we claiming consciousness.

Jah bless.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/1/2014 11:45:51 AM

You make a powerful point. Divinity and spirituality has no colour boundaries. But similar to the Sidhus I mentioned in a different thread, to me, it seems like they have taken on the true message of Garvey by seeing God through their own image. They have many similarities to rasta but wouldn't claim An African as their God, being Indian they would look to an Indian. This may be trivial - but when Marcus Garvey said through our own eyes you think he was taking about anything other than our blackness? Black people need a black god. So my question remains. I suppose that's where your analogy of a male feminist not experiencing feminism in the first person comes in. Rastafari? InI a first person.

This isn't an attack on a white ras. Nobody can tell another person he or she isn't a rastafari. It's just a question to overstand the logics.

And sister, interesting point on the word black. I see it from a slightly different angle. People run from black - African or whatever the word may be as we are told all f these words are European words created with a destructive and racist intent. But my reasoning is why do we have to accept their definition? Are we not liberated enough to define things for ourselves? Black we are told means bad, dark, dirty, evil etc according to who's definition? That's not an African definition. We as rasta say black is beautiful black is power black is life. So are we wrong in our definition? We define things for we. Similar with the name Ethiopia. I cant think of a more racist term than 'Ethiopia'. Yet still when we say Ethiopia we don't mean the land of the burnt face. We in this time as rasta say Ethiopia with the upmost love and respect in our hearts. Same with Africa. I don't run from them words. Now if black people were still saying black means death then maybe id see different. But in this time, we redefine according to our standards.

Just another way of looking at it I suppose. I had the same argument with a young fiery brother about the use of the word nigga but that's a whoole other reasoning.

More power to you empress, your a God. I love the balance in thought process your show. Blessed

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 2/1/2014 2:45:45 PM

Yes I Garvey Africa
In our Incient Shona language,Ethiopia is called Guruuswa meaning long grass.
Ethiopia is a greek translation

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/3/2014 12:44:24 AM

Press Play...
Record audio or upload mp3 >;>;

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 2/5/2014 11:15:38 PM

The color of a person's skin had no relevance to I when recognizing that they are God, God is God. So as far as I sight, when I recognize Haile Selassie I, I do see I God through I own eyes and image.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/6/2014 1:56:11 PM

nothing to do with skin colour, black and white are terms in our dialect which have nothing to do with skin colour. When we and Marcus say Black we mean of African bloodline. You think he was talking to the dark skinned Indians?

Africans see God as an African - Marcus Garvey teachings

1 - 1011 - 13

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I