Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5479&start_row=1

Movies

1 - 7
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Matthew Sent: 1/31/2014 5:23:40 AM

I have recently watched the movie 12 years a slave and I noticed a pattern with this and all other cinematic portrals of the back holocaust. the black people are always portrayed as helpless and in the end are saved by a white man. I don't think I've ever saw a film about slavery were it doesn't end with a white person saving the day. I wonder how this kind of Hollywood portrayal affects the psyche of black people especially the youth. I believe this goes beyond just making a big screen portrayal of the wickedness of slavery more palatable to a white audience. I actually believe it is a conscious attempt to keep black people in a debt of gratitude to whites and to keep black skinned people stuck in their own suffering. that is until the white hand of hope reaches iout to save them. The world needs a honest portrayal of the black experience that shows the strength , sacrifices and self determination of those involved in the civil rights movement. show us Marcus Garvey, show us the maroons, Show us the truth. opinions?

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/31/2014 10:14:24 AM

Every single Hollywood protrayal of slavery since the begininning is designed In thisSankofa the only one. Hail Muta

I still prefer this to the butler.... Smh.

Black people free yourselves, your freedom does not require the help of white influence.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/31/2014 11:44:14 AM

That should have read:

Every single Hollywood portrayal of slavery since the beginning is designed in this way

Mutabarukas 'Sankofa' maybe the only exception

Black people free yourselves, your freedom does not require the help of white influence.

Messenger: ConsciousRas Sent: 2/1/2014 1:58:49 PM

Greetings Rasta, blessings to one and all.
The i watched the movie recently and it was very moving. The i felt like the black people potrayed in the movie played a strong and amazing role though i n i still know its a hollywood flick, u just got to pick the good and dump the worse. Good over evil will always prevail.
The part that made i feel the movie was when the slaves met the red indians. That part signified the whole point of the movie where there showing how black people are strong and nothing can put them apart. The red indians did a spiritual rain dance where they burnt fire and chanted ises to the most high. I felt like it explained the whole Rastafari trod as it is a livity of righteousness and truth. The red indians represented the fire of Rastafari and what it is all about. Trully Many are called but few choose to heed the calling. I n i did some more research about the native indians and realised the similarities we share. There very spiritual and ethical living life the true way intended by the Great Spirit.
The native indians have gone through tremendous suffering to survive and the white man has tried to wipe them out of america with alcohol, gambling and other bullshit but they still keep their culture and ways strong. As a rastaman i find the thirst for education to be i stronghold. For if i never searched for the truth about what happened to africa beforr independence, what happened to the slavery and what happened way before the british empire was the rulling monarchy on earth, i realise that it is very important for i n i to keep learning and expand the mind. The i had a reasoning with a frllow Nyabinghi ras and he said that marcus emphasied about reading books. He says that i n i should reead a book every week no matter the content as long as its fire, i n i will unlock the chains strapped on our minds.
I am lookin forward to reason more about this topic nd sharpen each other. Seen.
Blessed love lions and lionesses in the jungle keep your head up.
One love

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/1/2014 3:46:25 PM

Native indian?

Indian is a funny term, like the west *indies*

To the white man of that time, Indian simply means melanated

My question is.

What about the Africans who were living in America as 'natives' before Columbus? What about their treatment? Yes I. Do you know there is a strong argument that up to 50% or more of the slaves in slavery were not 'taken' from Africa but already in America and kidnapped. Mansa Musa of the Mali empire sent over 200 ships from Africa to South America 100 years before Columbus. As did the Chinese.

What I'm saying is 'native Indian' is a misnomer. There were many different people in the Americas before the European. Most definitely the African was there. Look to the Olmec heads and megalithic African sculptures all around the globe. We were everywhere.

'They came before Columbus - Dr Ivan Van Sertima'

As the I say, in the name of Marcus we must all keep reading! Blessed brother. African global trod from long time. Selassie I Jah

Messenger: ConsciousRas Sent: 2/2/2014 3:16:46 AM

Yes i bredrin, i recently studied about the "native indians" and they occupied canada to south america. The americas was their land and they travelled as the liked thus left their ancient landmarks everywhere they went.
Bredrin i have read the book by dr. Ivan trully a wonderous book. The i knows that native indians is not the right term to call them but i find indians ok as they share the same ancentstry as the indians in india. What does the i think about that.
And also could the i speak more about the africans who lived in america before colombus.
Blessed

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/2/2014 8:03:51 AM

Yes dread, well it's van sertima field of expertees. His journals of African civilisations vol 1-3 are like a curriculum to ancient Africans outside of Africa. Dr Rashidi also has chapter on verse on the subject.

Research on Mansa Musa and his successor (I forget his name) who took thousands of Africans to South America will give you some information.

If a boat sets sail from the coast of west Africa, it will almost certainly and naturally end up on the coast of South America without any specific steering or navigation. The current flows in this direction.

It is said Africans have been going to America from the days of Kemet with their papyrus boats.

1 - 7

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I