Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5277&start_row=1

Mineral Resources of Africa

1 - 4
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 9/2/2013 10:42:56 PM

Africa has great mineral resource reserves yet the economic benefit from these resources oftentimes has not gone to the African people. For example, cell phones that are used by babylon nations could not be manufactured without African mineral resources, and the minerals used to make the cell phones are extracted from war torn areas of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Because I am studying geology at a university, I think it is interesting that Haile Selassie I set up a geological mapping survey in Ethiopia.

---------------------------------
Mineral Resources

It is vital that the economy of Ethiopia, which is based on agricultural produce, be strengthened by an intensive exploitation and efficient exploitation of mineral resources. A systematic geological survey is thus being conducted to determine the existence and extent of mineral deposits, particularly in those areas which are considered likely to possess mineral resources. A systematic geological survey, now being conducted by the Ministry of Mines, has indicated deposits of copper in the vicinity of Asmara. A concession for the exploitation and marketing of these mineral deposits was granted to the Nippon Company of Japan and it is hoped that the outcome of this venture would be satisfactory. The search for other mineral deposits and petroleum still goes on.

The geological mapping survey of the northern provinces has been completed. A similar survey of the Rift Lakes region is proceeding at an accelerated pace.

Various friendly governments and international organizations have been requested to participate in the exploitation going on to determine in the shortest possible time the qualitative and quantitative deposits of minerals in Ethiopia. The Canadian government is providing technical assistance in this field. The first study team has already started the survey with a view to investigating the mineral deposits in the Omo valley which encompasses the governorates of Illubabor, Kaffa, Gamu Gofa and parts of Sidamo. The technical assistance, provided by the government of the Federal Republic of Germany, is helping in carrying out the geological and cartographic survey of Hararghie to determine its mineral deposits. The geological ground survey, made in Northern Ethiopia by the Ministry of Mines, has been confirmed by an aerial photographic survey conducted by the British Government.

At the same time the preliminary survey of mineral resources in Wollega and Sidamo conducted in collaboration with, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has been completed. In response to Our government's request, the United Nations Development Programme has agreed to continue its technical assistance programme for another three years. This will make it possible to carry out a thorough investigation of mineral deposits in the two regions. Moreover, hydrological survey of the thermal springs in the Danakil, the Awash Valley and the Rift Lakes region, which is being conducted in collaboration with the United Nations Development Programme, has made a good start.

The rights of foreign and local investors in prospecting for mineral is safeguarded by the Mining Law of 1963 E.C., the draft of which was discussed and approved by Parliament. We therefore once more extend an invitation to local and foreign investors to particular in the exploration and development of our country's mineral resources.
---------------------------------

Annual Nation-Wide Address (1971)

Here's a link to a recent United Nations report on the mineral resources of Africa:

Minerals and Africa's Development

Messenger: Iman Bo Sent: 9/2/2013 11:45:17 PM

Greetings Eleazar

I too find these Words of HIM to be interesting, for 'exploitation' is almost always used as a negative term and extracting mineral resources can be a very destructive practice in terms of water/soil/air quality.

However, Haile Selassie I Overstood the obligation of modernizing Ethiopia. His foresight laid the groundwork for conscious resource management (in His time), and brought jobs and freedom to the people of Ethiopia with the highest of international standing and merit. I too study Earth Science at a university, but from I studies of HIM, I can see that His Majesty knew that the world currents were changing during this era, and hoped to implement new infrastructure that would benefit the people of Ethiopia for years to come. Copper was a very important part of the 'developing' world at that time, as it was made into wire for carrying electricity.

That being said, I find it unlikely that Ras TafarI would be pleased with current-day practices like mountaintop-removal mining which increases mass erosion and adversely impacts water quality. Also, European venture resource capitalists during the 20th century displaced native populations in places like the Kenyan highlands, South Africa, and Rhodesia (Zimbabwe), and I'm sure Haile Selassie I recognized this, so He took the initiative to address the Nation on this topic and explain that friendly governments had been REQUESTED to become involved with the development of Ethiopia's mineral resources. I believe it was to maintain peaceful relations while still advancing the cause of a sovereign and just state.

Thanks for the post
Peace

Messenger: Iman Bo Sent: 9/3/2013 2:15:34 AM

War is what happens when too much attention is given to exclusive "resource" profit, and too little attention is given to the Source of all resources

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 10/24/2013 1:09:23 PM

As a Garveyite Panafricanist RASTAFARI, this topic runs deep.

Well right now is the Chinese who are setting up camp all over africa AND the diaspora. They picked the blueprint up right from the palm of Mr Arab and Mr European on how to exploit african resources, and certain african leaders still nah learn from history.

THE GUARDIAN recently posted this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohrrE1rjzLo

1 - 4

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I