Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=518&start_row=21

Use of names

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 32
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras ElIjah Sent: 12/12/2004 5:15:00 PM

You dont have to RasEmpressGong .

Ras ElIjah

Messenger: RasEmpressGong Sent: 12/12/2004 7:56:13 PM

u know what? as soon as there takes a turn for people to be rude i will exit myself from this thread. but let me just say i was merely pointin out that if people said it was amen then y use it after your post? i am well aware i dont have to use it. so thank u for lettin me know ever so kindly.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 12/13/2004 12:09:04 AM

Gideon has a good point about the meaning of words. And Selah is a perfect example of his point. I did some research about Selah some time ago and there is no agreement on what it means. Nobody knows for sure, it is just a matter of how people interpret it. Some people say it has a meaning like Amen. Some say the meaning is the way Empress Gong reasons, giving emphasis and weight to what was said before. Some say it is a musical term, but they don't know what exactly it is directing the music to do. And I know some RasTafarI people who say it means Selassie I.

I don't really care what name people call themself. The only name that I don't think everybody should call themself is RasTafarI, Haile Selassie I, or Christian, because as I mentioned before, I see those names as belonging to those that live by the example and words of who they call theirselves. And also to those that are truly trodding in the path towards Jah, and Jah spirit is seen in them; but who still have some foolishness to remove. This second type includes myself and most other RasTafarI people.

Otherwise, it doesn't matter to I. Some words that have a certain meaning in one language, have a different meaning in another. I went to Cuba recently, and I learned about some words that sound like they would mean one thing because of the similarity to an English word, but they meant something completely different.

Livity is more important than names, so don't trouble yourself over names Ras Elijah, blaze Fire on yourself to correct your ways and that will be much more pleasing to Jah. And when I tell the I to blaze Fire, it is not in reference to your reasoning about names or any other personal reference. It is just what I see as the best thing to do for all people who want to Live unto Jah. And I continually blaze Fire on Iself, and I won't stop until there is nothing left that needs to burn.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Ras ElIjah Sent: 12/13/2004 7:57:46 AM

I dont know how I was the rude one, but, I'm sorry. I didnt know thise subject was so touchy and/or waste of time(meaningless). I hope we can ccontinue in honest reason.

Ras ElIjah

Messenger: Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I Sent: 12/13/2004 10:10:42 AM

Greetings Iyah

Just to explain why Iman refuse calling myself by my given name. This name was just chosen by my parents, but given to me by a Spokesperson of the False Prophet who signed this name on I forehead. See the significance about that through Revelation.
I was not able to decide for myself if I want to be signed by the False Prophet... but I can decide if I want to Itinue this trod in the Beast's name... and I absolutely refuse that. So I refuse the name by which the church calles me... and instead use a name which is ok for JAH.

Selah

Messenger: gideon Sent: 12/14/2004 12:00:04 PM

The point is that a word or name means what you want it to mean. If I am talking to one person I can use a word in ways that I would not be able to use when talking to a different person.
As Ark says he sees Rastafari as a name with a certain meaning, so when I am talking to him I cannot use Rastafari to mean other things. But that doesn't mean a person who uses rasta to signify just a hairstyle is wrong. They are just expressing themselves in a different way. Each person has to express themselves in a way that makes themself comfortable and so that they can communicate the meaning they are getting at to the other person.
If someone uses the word Selah just because they think it sounds cool, then why is that a problem for you? Cool sounds are a good thing, and you should be happy that they can express their love by using sounds and words they feel are cool. Why you have to think negative and look at what they are not doing instead of thining positive about what they ARE doing?
If Selah sounds cool to some and they use the word for that purpose then it is good. And if you can use it for other purposes then it is good too. We are trained in the false system to think in terms of one correct usage of every word, but that is false training. We need to look at what things really are in their substance and then we will have true knowledge. Then we will see there is no problem with anyone using a wordsound in any way that they see fit. It is just their unique expression of Jah love in their hearts. So don't hate just because you might not see what they see.

Messenger: Lioness_Susan Sent: 12/14/2004 1:41:02 PM

Greetings,

WELL SAID GIDEON...TRUELY IT IS WHAT THE WORD ITSELF MEANS TO THE I USING IT STILL.

Messenger: Bredda Alex Sent: 12/14/2004 4:35:59 PM

why some brethren write RastafarI like this: "Rasta Far I"

if you check this, it would mean that Rasta (HIM RastafarI) is far (away) from them. but doesn't rasta-people want to be close to RastafarI ? so why them say it as if they didn't want to follow rasta-livity ?

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 12/14/2004 9:07:27 PM

I don't know. It might mean something different to the people that say it.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Bredda Alex Sent: 12/15/2004 5:53:24 AM

hm ... maybe.

one more thing: why some brethren (especially Elders) call themselves Bongo (like Bongo Time, Bongo Kosmos, Bongo Watu, ...) ?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 32

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I