Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=518&start_row=11

Use of names

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 32
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: christof Sent: 12/12/2004 8:50:23 AM

Ises
I always use the name that was given to I by I parents.
It means "The one who carries Kristos (in his heart)"
Jah Bless
Christof

Messenger: Bro Till Sent: 12/12/2004 9:22:26 AM

As you can see, I too.
I Parents called I Till, and so is I name.
Why should I call Iself diffrent?

Messenger: gideon Sent: 12/12/2004 10:52:06 AM

This is the post that started this topic:

"InI see the I's create they name but obviously not knowing the meanings of some. For people add words like 'selah' to their name which makes no sense for thee fact Selah means 'holy city'."

So basically that person is saying that some people use names without knowing the meanings. But what I am saying is that when someone use a name they know the meaning that they have in mind. No one can come and tell them that it is not the right meaning, or that the meaning don't make sense. They know what it means to them.
As you know in slang bad can mean good, and good can mean bad. Anything can mean anything, it just depends on the intention of the person using it.

So that's why I say if you are trying to find one meaning for the word selah or any other word and you want to say that is the only correct use of the word, or that is the correct meaning of the word, then you are wasting your time.
If you insist on continuing to try to make words have the meaning you know about and call that the correct meaning then all you will prove is that this is a mistake in your thinking. Sooner or later you will realise that words are just labels that people use, and we have the power to use whatever label we want.
I am not blasting you, the person, I am just saying that the thinking on which this topic of reasoning is based is folly. And the proof I gave should be enough for any reasonable person.

Messenger: GreenEye Sent: 12/12/2004 11:08:36 AM

Gideon,
I think the I made an interesting point.
But there are some youths just using words like "selah" in their nicknames, just because dem saw others using them in discussion boards. Dem connect it with being "cool" in some ways. Having dreads is "cool" for dem, smoking ganja is "cool" for dem and using the word selah, too.
But dem don't overstand the meaning! Dem think, if u want to be such "cool" like Bob Marley, you have to be a Ras and if you want to be a Ras you have to use such words.
The Is opinion about words is, that everyone shall understand dem how he wants. But there are Jah words, too. And what Jah told and tells mankind he wants to be understood like they simply ARE.
I have to look after my 1 week old sister, so I have to break up writing now. Maybe Ill write a little more about this topic later.

SELAH ;)

Messenger: Bredda Alex Sent: 12/12/2004 11:08:42 AM

"The I mistakes that! Selah is used like Amen at the end of Prayers, Psalms etc."

no, that can't be. inna I Ible it says Sela without an h , used after psalms, prayses, etc... like Amen.
maybe it's just written different in InI versions.

-------------------

truth. brethren use "Ras" too fast. I experienced that on myself.
it will take long time till I will maybe use this title.

Messenger: GreenEye Sent: 12/12/2004 11:23:48 AM

Greetings I,
Selah means both: Something like "Amen" and holy city.
This is both from KJV of the Bible:
2 Kings 14:7 :
"He slew of Edom in the valley of salt ten thousand, and took Selah by war, and called the name of it Joktheel unto this day."

Psalm 3:2 :
"Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah."

blessings

Messenger: Bredda Alex Sent: 12/12/2004 11:54:22 AM

but after psalms, prayers, etc... it is written without an h.

Messenger: GreenEye Sent: 12/12/2004 12:54:08 PM

No, not in KJV.

selah

Messenger: christof Sent: 12/12/2004 1:46:21 PM

Both is possible !
Just as the spellings "Selassie" and "Sellassie" are BOTH possible.
seen ? what is this reasoning about ?

Messenger: RasEmpressGong Sent: 12/12/2004 3:04:24 PM

if it means amen then why put it after ur post? u not sayin a prayer. u are usin it like how i said i saw it being described: to take weight and measure on what was said. i too agree it is amen. but can i just say..how about we either stick to describin what our names are or just abandon this altogether becuz we can talk about other things besides what selah means?!

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 32

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I