Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=518&start_row=1

Use of names

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 32
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: RasEli Sent: 12/8/2004 12:28:19 PM

InI see the I's create they name but obviously not knowing the meanings of some. For people add words like 'selah' to their name which makes no sense for thee fact Selah means 'holy city'. I do not overstand the reasoning behind creating names using similiar ones to I's brothers, I use Ras for I am in a struggle to learn, Ras means 'duke', I feel as if I am in that stage of my overstanding of Ras TafarI. I will always be a student I feel, and under the teachings I shall triumph in my own right.

Ras ElI

Messenger: RasEmpressGong Sent: 12/11/2004 4:08:13 AM

as i am aware there is debate over the meaning of the word selah. i have never seen ur meaning but that it means to weigh or measure. and when it comes after a sentence as in the bible it means to weigh the meaning and importance of what was just said before it. these are not the exact words i read but im sure u can get where i am coming from.
RasEmpressGong -Rastafari Empress Gong. Gong means 2 things: one after my adoration of Nesta Marley the Tuff Gong and two becuz my mouth is like a gong. my voice isnt loud but my words are..have a habit of speakin the reality and expressin my thoughts 98%of the time.have no time for fraud, pretty words and "dressing up" something to make it sound unlike its actual being.
anyway...some people choose their names becuz it has a personal meanin to them and it may not always be what u assume.selah. lol

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 12/11/2004 10:48:28 AM

The meaning of I name is in reference to the Ark of the covenant. The Ark holds the commandments within and the spirit of Jah within and above. This is how I sight RasTafarI people. I use this name to represent I movement towards Jah.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Bredda Alex Sent: 12/11/2004 1:41:56 PM

concerning this "selah"-thing:

sela is like amen. but in I Ible it is written without an h.
different meaning ?

Messenger: Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I Sent: 12/11/2004 2:42:50 PM

Ightes!

The I mistakes that! Selah is used like Amen at the end of Prayers, Psalms etc.

I use Nyah Anbassa, not because I am a Nyahbinghi Member, but to show, that I am aware that the Ethiopian Freedom Fighter were called Tiqur Anbesa, meaning Black Lions, and not Nyahbinghi, like it is widespread. So I decided to make this mix Nyah Anbassa because I also know, that though they didn't call themselves Nyahbinghi, they could be regarded as ones. But I cannot call myself Tiqur when I am a Jahphet. That is how this name was created.
Face to Face the brethren just call me Natty or Anbesa... but I like to be creative with my log-in names... so I also call myself Anbassa-dah in some Forums... which has both an english and amharic meaning.

Too many youth call themselves too fast RAS. I would not take up this title.

Selah

Messenger: RasEmpressGong Sent: 12/11/2004 6:21:33 PM

Ark I that is what I thought about your name! good guess:)

Messenger: gideon Sent: 12/11/2004 6:22:40 PM

What a waste of breath to discuss such things.
Is there some pope of the dictionary that has the ultimate authority to say what words mean? NO, there is not.
Words mean whatever you want them to mean. Once there is real communication then that is good enough. If someone says selah and means holy city that is okay for communication once someone else understands that use of the word, and if someone uses the same selah to mean amen then it is okay too.
We are big people, we should rise above this nonsense. There is such a thing as homonym, homophone, synonym and so on.
But who am I to stop you from wasting your breath and getting frustrated over things of no significance? If you want to seek the pope of the dictionary then go ahead and seek. You won't find anyone there, but if you need to search, go ahead.

Messenger: Ras ElIjah Sent: 12/11/2004 7:39:39 PM

Gideon, how dare you blast words like this to us. We are simply talking, dont be negative, "waste of breath". Who are you to say what we talk about, we are simply talking things out the way we see dem. I hope to see your next reason to be a bit more proper.

We wouldnt overstand much if we didnt reason, and sometimes we may reason on a topic not particuarly big to you, if so dont post.

Ras ElI

Messenger: RasEmpressGong Sent: 12/11/2004 7:44:16 PM

who is gettin frustrated besides u? its interestin y some people have the name they do..u learn something new.. like ur name is different never knew what it was b4.

Messenger: Ras ElIjah Sent: 12/11/2004 9:35:56 PM

Ok, You most of misunderstood why I made this topic, for people share their reasoning and their reason why their name is how it tis, not to start a argument. I am not gettin frustrated. And not to waste my breath.

Ras ElIjah

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 32

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I