Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5168&start_row=61

sabbath

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 109
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/28/2015 1:31:29 PM

Haile

My words not directed to you personally but generally in relation to this topic. I don't follow the sabbath as no I don't see it as necessary. Mainly for the reasons already stated......... But one thing not reasoned on yet:

The 7 day week only effectively became law when Constantine made it widespread in the 4th century AD. There is no atrological reason behind a seven day week..... The length of a day the length of a year the length of a month are all based on astronomy, but not the length of a week. So why would a God of creation want us to uphold the sabbath which is based on a none scientific calendar system of very recent origin.......? What I mean is there is little basis behind why a sabbath has to be every 7 days rather than every 6 or every 10 or every 2

Anyway, there's works to be done everyday

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/28/2015 1:38:54 PM

I would say the sabbath was actually created for the same reason in the modern western society we have a weekend

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 4/28/2015 3:09:38 PM

oh yes. this is a very interesting topic. for all people who live a superficial life and who only know "babylon" from some history lessons or bible sessions they attended a long time ago it might be very shocking to see how many things in our daily life are nothing else but babylonian inventions or at least of pagan heritage. christmas and easter decorations, many other holidays including the way we celebrate our brithdays (birthday presents...) and even the seven day week (altough they did not know of all the different planets back then, each day is dedicated to one planet including the sun and the moon...sun, moon, mars, mercury, jupiter, venus and saturn). thats just a fact. one click on youtube and you can check it out. it were always the same things. you can read it in your bible. for example jeremiah ("When we burned incense to the Queen of Heaven and poured out drink offerings to her, did not our husbands know that we were making cakes impressed with her image and pouring out drink offerings to her?"). but enough of that.

when it comes to history, all we can trust are certain sources or most of the time, reports of people who witnessed certain things. i think there actually was a four day week in my part of europe earlier in history. but when it comes to the sabbath, since it is part of the ten commandments, i really feel that it can help to reach higher consciousness and helps body and soul. what do i have to do if not taking care of my soul and bringing some peace and balance to me and my environment.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/28/2015 3:58:38 PM

If it works for you it works for you, can't argue with that.

My argument would be with the ones who sight it from a bible God fearing perspective.

Respect

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 4/28/2015 5:04:50 PM

thanks for your attention!

some people will tell you that they keep the whole weekend holy. some will always keep their sundays holy while others will choose saturday to do so, a day which was called after saturn. a pagan "god", the biblical nimrod, moloch or baal. people have sacrificed their children to beg him to give new life to the sun for the new year at the end of every year. Lev 18,21: 'Do not give any of your children to be sacrificed to Molek, for you must not profane the name of your God. I am the LORD

well. what works for me is the sabbath itself. what feels true to me is that one should keep it as pure as possible to concentrate on your bond with jah. i can't see nothing evil within this concept right now. i don't know how i will honour sabath day in the future but i don't think that it's a sin if somebody does it on saturday or sunday nowadays but again it's all about true dedication to me.

it's hard. you can ban christmas or easter out of your life but sabbath day is not just something the church came up with. but regarding the pressure the system puts on the people by hyping five or six days of work and a sabbath day to rest or a weekend to party i'm completely with you. this is how the system works. you can stick to this plan or you'll go down. how is such a way able to lead somebody into clarity and love if you're always distracted and in a rush and you have to hate yourself because you are still not making enough money to get a larger flat, you're wife still doesn't look like one of this actresses on tv and you can't go out because of your skin blemishes? bleached blonde hair, every day a new hair style, people have to work like cyborgs and be flexible...seems like being a natural, healthy and thoughtful human being is not longer accepted.

of course there are exceptions and you can look how you want to even though you might not become a clerk or bank manager as a punk or whatever (or maybe even a rastafarian...but i think you won't meet any of those behind a bank counter) but nobody can't tell me that it's not all about following certain things (looks and bowing down to your boss until you get promoted) and that it's not getting stranger every week.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 4/28/2015 5:48:28 PM

The Igbo of Nigeria had/have a 4 day week

I used to keep sabbath and saw no difference in it from the next day

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/29/2015 3:30:09 AM

^^ right so is it every 4 or every 7 days to sabbath?
Or is it based on the time it took the earth and all life on it to be created according to what we now know of creation story? That would mean a sabbath every couple million years....?

There's no basis outside of recent Western overstandings of time.

But to take time every SO OFTEN and reflect / meditate can never be a bad thing. It's the rigidness of the religious thought behind the sabbath which I can't get with. Neither the 7 day creation theory and God Resting

Respect for the Igbo information!

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 4/29/2015 6:39:45 PM

Yoruba of Nigeria also have a 4 day week and its the year 10,057 right cha now

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/8/2015 4:33:27 AM

.isis

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/8/2015 4:34:14 AM

^^looking into it. The Yoruba do have a 4/5 day week. But they livicate the first day of their week as a ''day of rest' so somewhat being like a sabbath.

But the point is there is no basis on how often one should take to rest and iditate as there is no standard length of a 'week' and we know the story of God creating the heavens and the earth in 6 days is a fabled story and not literal.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 109

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I