Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5168&start_row=51

sabbath

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 109
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ark I Sent: 6/2/2014 10:25:09 PM

Mark 2
[27] And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath

The Sabbath was made for the benefit of Health and Irituality. It is good to give your body a rest from time to time, to recharge and rejuvenate. And while it is best to Praise Haile Selassie I everyday, many people will not, so the day to rest your body is a good day to remind people about their Irits. So instead of letting weeks and months go by with no attention to Irits, there is a seven day reminder.

There is also a Sabbath for the land where people grow food. Plant food for six years, then on the seventh, don't touch the land, let whatever grows on it grow, whether food or weeds, but don't reap anything from the land. This teaching is to renew the soil so you don't strip the ground of nutrients.

Messenger: Ras Raza Sent: 6/3/2014 8:02:42 AM

Give Ises unto His Majesty for the Itesful correspondence.

Messenger: Ras Raza Sent: 6/3/2014 8:03:07 AM

Seen give thanks and Ark I,

I heard or read about what the I mentioned about Sabbath in cultivation. I only can not remember when or where.

Qadamawi Haile Selassie I..

Messenger: Black Christ Salvation Sent: 6/21/2014 4:08:58 AM

Lord of the Sabbath ! hear our vows
On this Thy day, in this Thy house
And own, as grateful sacrifice,
The songs which from our temple rise.

Thine earthly Sabbaths, Lord , we love;
But there's a nobler rest above:
To that our labouring souls aspire,
With ardent pangs of strong desire.

No more fatigue, no more distress,
Nor sin, nor hell, shall reach our place;
No groans to mingle with our songs
Which warble from immortal tongues.

No rude alarms of raging foes,
No cares to break the long repose:
No midnight shade, no clouded sun,
But sacred, high, eternal noon.

O long-expected day, begin !
Dawn on these realms of woe and sin;
Fain would we leave this weary road,
And live in love, to rest with God.

HOLY EMMANUEL I SELASSIE I JAH RASTAFARI

Messenger: Black Christ Salvation Sent: 6/28/2014 4:33:23 AM

Exodus 20:8 - Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it Holy

Exodus 31:13 - Speak thou also unto the children of IS-RA-EL, saying, Verily my Sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.

Holy Emmanuel I Selassie I JAH RASTAFARI

Messenger: RASDAN Sent: 7/1/2014 5:54:36 AM

I GIVE THANKSAND PRAISES TO THE HOLY ONE OF CREATION...AS IT WAS FROM THE BEGGINING SO SHALL IT BE IN THE END JAH WORLD...WITH OUT ENDING

Messenger: Prophet John Sent: 7/8/2014 5:13:56 PM

I just wanted to state that I met a man who asked me my beliefs while in Shashamene. I told him I am a priest in the order of Melchizedek as well as a Sabbath keeper. InI was very much unaware at the time of the Bobo Shanti beliefs. The man then lowered his sunglasses to properly stare me in the eyes and stated, "By the way, my name is Priest Paul."

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 4/28/2015 10:52:08 AM

altough my family does not deal with certain factors and peculiarities of the catholic church, i was officially roman-catholic and raised that way. in my mind sabbath day was sunday. a day that was designed to rest and which can be used to honour god in some individual ways if you think you need to.

nowadays i know that sunday was originally in deed the babylonian start of the week which was used to worship their sun idols and later became the seventh day of the week to take this concept from former pagans who turned to the christian religion and they have modified it to combine it with the biblical sabbabth. i know that many people might be fine with that and refer to certain parts of the bible (romans 14,5: One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind.) but since it is part of the decalogue i tried to honour the original sabbath day not long time ago like it needs to be done if you follow the old rules (what really seems right and like a great spiritual experience to me).

so i prepared myself to relinquish unnecessary phone calls and contact with other people via modern technology in general. i listened to roots music (so long rastafari call you...) until the sun was dawning on that friday night and i wanted to spend the next 24 hours without really watching any movies, listening to music
(especially certain entertaining stuff), checking sports results or even doing sports myself, playing games or reading all kind of novels. i wanted to stay at home without buying or selling things and to me it meant that i wasn't about to take care of the household, decorations, work out routines or anything to physical for sababth day.

i had my dinner before the sun went down and the next thing i had eaten was lunch on saturday afternoon which i had prepared the morning before like it's said to be done. i even haven't drink anything. i didn't smoke ganja also. i really wanted to tolerate restrictions like don't using my computer, tv, radio and even light switches to avoid starting a new "fire". all i wanted to do was do some reflecting, pray, think, read, rest and sleep to honour the seventh day in memory of the lord who has rested after he created the world. at one point i used to walk through my flat (while talking to god) and turned the lights on in the room i was going in. it was just a reflex and i quickly turned it off and i was really sorry.

later i spoke with a christian family member of mine about the whole thing and i was confused because my relative told me that he came to the conclusion that he doesn't think that i was really intended to do something wrong but i wasn't fully commited to it because i've let the lights on in my living room on purpose even though i did already on friday morning. also a screen which had replayed a dvd over and over again.

i really don't want to be egoistic or to get or even teach anything wrong so i try to be extremely careful here. there are just a few points which confuse me so i have to set my mind straight. i think it would be better to keep the lights off next time but somehow i don't know if it's that wrong.

my old religion teacher has told me that many jews (who of course also honour sabbath day from friday to saturday) won't touch a light switch on sabbath day (the whole state of israel shuts completely down for this 24 hours) but it's totally ok for most of them if they go somewhere where the lights are already turned on or another person turns them on or even starts a fire.

when it comes to my understanding, it's about to create nothing new and to rest (and meditate and pray). it's not about to avoid any kind of fire and lights at all. i didn't pay any attention to that screen on that day and i tried to avoid many things like even breakfest, entertainment and all kinds of physical actions like i said before but it was the first time i did it and so i just have to learn from my mistakes and reason about the things that make me feel uncomfortable about myself.

the bible doesn't say in 2000 years there will be light switches and you have to stay away from them and your tv sets. it's not that clear but what's written in the bible is maybe all we need to know. so i really think that it speaks to the conscious of everyone of us and it's all about what we are doing with it. even though i had my lights on on purpose i think i can truthfully say that i was truely convinced that i was doing it the right way (just like i've learned it) and that it be good to do it the way i have done it last time.

in my view the commandment regarding that day (remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy) includes for me that we shouldn't wipe this day out of our minds and that we are not supposed to change it. that we are not allowed to approach it without thoughts and we should be dedicated to the "rules". it's about our intention and the dedication of our hearts. it's a great spiritual thing if it's done correctly. i believe that honouring sabbath day is really helpful to free your mind (to reach higher consciousness) and it helps you to escape from all kind of depressions.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/28/2015 11:04:56 AM

What kind of an omnipotent God needs REST after a mere 6 days of work? "Work" didn't he speak things into existance? 6 days speaking things in and you need a rest all the while claiming omnipotence?

Or is this really about the justification of a 5-6 day working week

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 4/28/2015 11:25:48 AM

thanks for the comment!

ok. to follow god without being lazy and to work and provide for your own food and your community might be something completely different than what we are calling a decent hardworking person who is busy to "fit in" and satisfy his boss like a robot for the big paycheck nowadays.

when i mentioned the six days of work i never really said that they are something mental or even physical exhausting. i don't want to paint a picture of a construction worker who sits down for his lunch. it's not a fairy tale. i think it's all about reflection and about to stop creating things (to let them grow) and (as human beings on sabbath day) rest and prepare for next week.

but i'm not sure what sabbath day itself has to do with your point of view. i have to admit that there is something about your words, garveys africa, that lets me think about my interpretation. do you think that sabbath itself isn't necessary or at least the way we try to keep it holy?

i'm amazed how many different thoughts this thread alone has collected. theres a song out there called "so many things" by macka b. he says something like "got to work to get my pay/ got to rest on sabbath day". i think that is a fundamental thing i have to maintain.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 109

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I