Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5168&start_row=31

sabbath

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 109
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras Hemp Sent: 1/1/2014 11:45:27 AM

Oh okay Iya now Iman see what the I spoke about. I thought you was replying on the whole post while you replied on the upper text only. The I confused I because you didn't refer to the upper piece of text. My apoligies RasTa.

Messenger: MELCHEZIDEK Sent: 2/6/2014 1:40:18 AM

Iman is leaving

The spirit of Rastafari does not exist on this site

Jah Dub gonna listen to Dub music somewhere else

Good, go do so. I man sees the pope (satan) on here turning rastas away from the teachings of His Majesty and His Majesty's Bible.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 2/7/2014 12:12:44 PM

Back to the subject of Shabbat...
If the I follows the Bible, then it is important to keep Shabbat hola just as JAH commanded. Not any more or less important than all other Levitican laws and laws mentioned in Exodus and Numbers, but important. JAH Yeshua did not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it, therefore I&I should still keep the laws that JAH instructed from the beginning. However, many of these laws seem outdated (stoning an adultress wombman, laws about how to deal with slaves, animal sacrifices for atonement, etc.) and not all can be practiced under this government (destroying idol statues and graven images). So if I&I are not going to keep ALL of the laws, why choose one over another? Aside from not killing or lying, which seem obvious...
But if the I chooses to observe the Sabbath, how does one do that? People have different ideas. Orthodox Jews don't use cars.
As a small child my father would enforce the keeping of the Sabbath in his Baptist Christian manner... Go to church in nice clean clothes, pick up fried chicken from the Hardy's, have a family afternoon outside. This doesn't seem like a real Shabbat to I, although it wasn't necessarily bad - in fact may be some of the only good memories of that man.
Recently I visited a Shabbat meeting of some local Messianic Jews. Being of Jewish lineage and growing up in a Christian church, I was interested to see what they do.
Meeting at 10am, people started to gather and socialize, introduce each other, share kosher finger food, etc. Around 11am the adults sat in a circle and opened the Bible, and began to take turns reading slowly, pausing for any questions or comments from the group. Being a newcomer, I still felt welcome to ask questions and was responded to with respect and thorough references. Among the group I noticed that the reader would always insert the name Yahweh instead of the Lord or God. When I had a turn to read, I used the name JAH in that place as I always do, and no one skipped a beat. Come 1:30pm, the group realized the time and had a break for lunch, which was kosher vegetarian food, mostly fresh vegetables, and then quickly reassembled for more discussion and reading.
Obviously coming from a different perspective, I asked challenging questions, and some other members of the group had opposing viewpoints as well, but all were responded to respectfully.
The meeting concluded at about 5pm. This is by far the longest Bible study I ever attended, and the most open-forum and respectful theological discussion I have ever experienced. The knowledge among the group was impressive; most of them read ancient Hebrew in all three forms, modern Hebrew, Greek, and could shed light on certain passages due to this in depth study of the original text.
Although I have no idea what the right way is to hold Shabbat, this seemed like the best one I have come across.
Bless up all idren, inified in love through JAH Ras Tafari.
Guidance.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/17/2014 6:34:57 PM

I personally hold no Sabbath, and sight everyday as important for both Jah works and giving thanks and praise onto HIM. I wouldn't want any rest from that. In slavery many Christian slavemasters would give the Africans the 'Sabbath' free from plantation work every sunday, because 'God wanted them to rest' on that day..... :-/

But thats just Garveys Africa

Messenger: MELCHEZIDEK Sent: 2/18/2014 12:34:20 AM

Every day is a Sabbath day

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 2/18/2014 12:54:01 PM

True idren, because I&I livicate unto JAH every single moment, how can the I set aside a day every week for JAH? When I&I lives are set aside for JAH already?
And the idea of "resting" in JAH, of taking a day from toiling fields and trusting that I&I will be provided for, this is something the modern world already does. Many people have more leisure time than things to fill it with (those of us on this forum, even, have the leisure to be here instead of plowing a field).
And different groups have different practices for observing shabbat, but the I is free to "rest" in JAH however the I feels most inified, in whatever iditation the I benefits from most. And this can change as I&I inclinations or moods change. One day I want to run 12 miles to feel connected to Abba, the next day I want to read and study for hours. If cooking on shabbat is not allowed, but the I loves to cook, then how is the prohibition helping I commune with JAH?

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/18/2014 2:13:48 PM

^^Yes I Jah Child. My analogy is always what if somebodys 'work' is 100% livicated to Jah. And that individual was due to 'work' on a Saturday? Would this be defined as breaking or keeping the sabbath? The point is, seek Jah in all that you do Mon-Sun without fail. Its a EuroChristian thing to think of 'God' once per week...Same goes for Prayer, as Jah hears everything. I replace time for 'prayer' (seeing as we live and talk a constant prayer) with Iditation.

Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 2/18/2014 2:15:49 PM

What about the Bobo Rasta?

King Emmanuel 7th (The Black Christ) made keeping the Sabbath day (Saturday) Holy a central part of His teaching. And King Emmanuel is Black, not European or Xtian. Also Haile Selassie I prohibited work on the Sabbath day when he was governor.

Messenger: rastaredemption37 Sent: 2/18/2014 2:17:03 PM

the teachings of Jah tell us not to be caught up in old reteric and social customs of babylon if i be hungry on the sabbath and go about looking for food on the sabbath then i have made no transgression against the almighty, Jah himself took even one day to rest after his work was done, but no ritual was done on that day so to keep it holy means just to do what you need to rest. Jah live and reign over all creation forever and ever praise Jah and all his prophets one love to conquer the evils of babylon!

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/18/2014 2:19:08 PM

Eleazer - Yes King Emmanuel and Haile Selassie I both (as far as we know) kept the Sabbath holy. The Sabbath has been an African tradition for thousands of years, although its origins are questionable.

But there is a CLEAR link between the Sabbath and Judeo/Christian/Islamic mindset and origin. We know the religious beliefs of HIM and of King Emmanuel. So this i overstand.

But for ones who are not restricted to only JudeChristian mindset, the other points being made are just as valid.

^^The point above is an excellent one. Some of us have to 'go look food' whether Sabbath or not.

Another 1: If a Preacher /Priest performs Mass on a Sunday is this considered work? and if so is he breaking the Sabbath and offending his God?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 109

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I