Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5082&start_row=1

Human and swine hair used to make bread !!!

1 - 5
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Matthew Sent: 3/24/2013 5:38:38 PM

I recently received this I mail
-----

Hetepu, Greetings!

I pray! Read, take heed and share with all your family friends and contacts. Warburton's are guilty of wickedness. I will now be making my own bread. Be careful of the bread you eat as BBC news yesterday reported that human hair is being used to make bread. I didn't believe myself until I did my own research. Basically human hair, pig/hog hair, duck and chicken feathers are used in strong chemicals to extract a protein and produce E920 otherwise known as L Cystein. This helps the bread dough grow faster.
China are known to produce this chemical using human and other hair usually from barber shops. The breads that are said to be OK are Kingsmill which are approved by halal food authority and labelled on packet. And Hovis website in their frequently asked questions state that they do not use L Cystein. I've checked Warburton bread ingredients and E920 is listed. Check internet for more info. Do your own research as well.
I just thrown our bread away it had E920.
Fire Bun!!!

E920
L-cysteine hydrochloride

A compound produced from L-cysteine (E910) a naturally occurring sulphur containing amino acid that the body needs to produce Glutathione, one of the body's major antioxidants.

Commercially produced from hair and feathers.

Found in flour and bakery products (except wholemeal) where it is used as an improving agent and in chicken stock cubes where it is used as a flavour.

Diabetics should be aware that there are some reports that it may interfere with insulin and there are anecdotal reports that it can react with monosodium glutamate (E621) in individuals who suffer from the so called Chinese restaurant syndrome, a set of symptoms, including headache, burning sensations, dizziness and disorientation.

E921
L-cysteine hydrochloride monohydrate

A compound produced from L-cysteine (E910) a naturally occurring sulphur containing amino acid that the body needs to produce Glutathione, one of the body's major antioxidants.

Commercially produced from hair and feathers.

Found in flour and bakery products (except wholemeal) where it is used as an improving agent and in chicken stock cubes where it is used as a flavour.

Diabetics should be aware that there are some reports that it may interfere with insulin and there are anecdotal reports that it can react with monosodium glutamate (E621) in individuals who suffer from the so called Chinese restaurant syndrome, a set of symptoms, including headache, burning sensations, dizziness and disorientation.

Messenger: Matthew Sent: 3/24/2013 5:47:28 PM

I also came across this onthe bbc website
-----

I don't mean one of your stray locks that fell into the butter. What I want to know is whether amino acids produced from human hair were used to process the flour that went to make that piece of toast you wolfed down on the way to the bus stop.

It sounds unthinkable doesn't it? But when I became a temporarily became a vegan for Newsnight, I developed a keen interest in what goes into the food I eat and I discovered that a food additive which is sometimes produced from human hair can be used as an additive in some baked goods.

But first, the veganism. I did not do it out of high principle. The idea was to test the claim made by a number of people who e-mailed in to insist that becoming a vegan significantly reduces one's impact on the environment.

I was vegan for one month- January 2007. So this did not preclude me eating Ned the Newsnight turkey for Christmas 2006.

I am happy to report that Ned was as tasty as he was ethical. My family gnawed our way through his ample carcass over the course of a full week. We ate Ned roast on the big day, then sandwiched, curried, as a supreme and finally in a tasty soup. Then, as the last few slices of Ned grew an extravagant mould in the bottom of our fridge, the New Year turned and my diet became completely meat and dairy free.

It wasn't easy. I did not just cut meat and fish out of my diet. Vegans don't eat any animal products including milk, eggs and honey. So did cutting out all animal products reduce my carbon footprint?

I need a bit of persuading about the bees but cows certainly produce an impressive quantity of greenhouse gases - some 500 litres of methane a day per animal.

When my vegan experiment was just getting under way, the then environment minister David Miliband pointed out at a conference that "the livestock sector generates more greenhouse gas emissions than transport". Agriculture is reckoned to account for 7% of all greenhouse gas emissions, about the same as aviation.

And methane isn't the only issue. It is claimed that one acre of arable crops can produce enough food for up to 20 people. Turn that field over to beef production and it will feed just one person.

Not only that, raising animals is a lot more carbon intensive than growing vegetables. David Pimentel, an ecologist from Cornell University, has calculated that animal protein production requires more than eight times as much fossil-fuel energy than plant protein yet yields proteins only 1.4 times as nutritious for humans.

That's the average. When you look at individual sectors the figures are even more startling. Take beef, for example. Using US Department of Agriculture figures he found that beef production requires an energy input to protein output of 54:1 (as well as 100,000 litres of water per kilogram of meat).

Vegetarians shouldn't feel too smug, though. Milk protein has a ratio of 17:1. In fact, rather depressingly the most efficient form of animal production - perhaps not surprisingly - is battery chickens. Pimentel finds that broiler chickens have a ratio of energy input to protein output of just 4:1.
My problem has been eradicating all these inefficient animal proteins from my diet. Take my very first day of vegan living, New Year's Day.

I hadn't prepared very well and hadn't got any margarine in. The local corner shop, a Londis, was open and they stock a good range so I wasn't too worried. But as I worked my way through the eight or so different varieties of margarine I was amazed to find that every single one contained milk or dairy products in some form.

It makes you realise just how common the use of animal products in food is. Before I became a vegan I would eat animal products in every single meal. Indeed the Vegan Society points out that some vegans consider tap water unacceptable because it contains chemicals that have been tested on animals.

I am not going that far but I have certainly developed a mania for reading food labels and there are all sorts of unexpected animal additives.

Most people know that gelatine is produced from animal skin and bones and that the rennet used in some cheeses comes from calves' stomachs. But did you know that bone char (from cow bones) is still occasionally used to whiten some sugars or that some wines and many beers (particularly real ales) include isinglass - a substance obtained from the swim bladders of fish?

Which brings me back to the possibility that human hair may be used in bread. A vegetarian friend alerted me to the existence of an animal-based flour additive called L-Cysteine. It is an amino acid which is used as a flour improver. It is known as E920 and is permitted for use in all biscuits, breads and cakes except those that claim to be wholemeal.

The problem for a would-be vegan is that traditionally L-Cysteine is produced from feathers, pig bristles and sometimes even human hair. These days L-Cysteine can also be produced synthetically but apparently human hair remains one of the richest sources of this amino acid - it makes up about 14% of your hair - and there is a small industry in China making the additive from hair clippings.

There's even a paper on the web written by a Rabbi about whether L-Cysteine from human hair is kosher. Apparently it is - so long as the hair in question was not harvested from dead bodies.

So how commonly is L-Cysteine used? My vegetarian friend claims that the problem with E920 is that - even when it is used - it doesn't have to be listed in the ingredients. She says that's because it is broken down in the baking process so the manufacturers argue that doesn't constitute an ingredient.

That is something the Food Standards Agency flatly denies. It says that L-Cysteine must always be labelled. Indeed, the industry says the reason you so rarely see E920 on labels is that these days it is very rarely used (apparently it was much more common fifteen years ago). The industry also says that the only L-Cysteine their members would use is the synthetic variety.

That is a little odd because according to the Food Standards Agency the European regulation specifies that only L-Cysteine produced from duck and chicken feathers or from pig bristles can be used. That means that, so long as your daily bread was baked in Europe, it almost certainly does not include human hair.

But it's a little confusing. If British bakers are using synthetic L-Cysteine are they breaking EU guidelines? It is hard to get a straight answer. Biscuit makers told me it would be added when the flour is milled - and the millers say it's something the bakers would add.

So if anyone can put this hairy issue to bed once and for all I'd be very grateful. And while I am on the subject, if anyone knows of any other animal-based (or human-based) food ingredients a vegan needs to steer clear of, please do tell me.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 3/24/2013 8:40:32 PM

They find so many ways to sneak some kind of flesh in all kinds of things.  Luckily, none of the bread I currently have has that ingredient.  I will make sure to check for it the next time I get bread.

Another thing to watch out for is natural food colouring, which sometimes comes from animal sources.

Messenger: Sister Sent: 3/25/2013 5:47:15 AM

Good to know what ur eating..best to avoid additives anyway. Below is from vegan society website.

E Numbers definitely containing animal products/derivatives:

E120 - Cochineal (crushed scale of Dactylopius Coccus, a type of cactus beetle)
E441 - Gelatine (animal hoof/skin)
E542 - Bone Phosphate
E631 - Disodium inosinate (fish derivative)
E635 - Disodium ribonucleotides
E901 - Beeswax
E904 - Shellac (insect origin)
E966 - Lactitol (milk derivative)
E1105 - Lysozyme (found in egg whites)

E Numbers possibly containing animal products/derivatives: (unfortunately it is not generally stated as to whether these additives are synthesised or derived from animal products, but it is fair to assume that in some cases they contain animal products)

E104 - Quinoline Yellow
E160 - Alpha-, beta-, gamma carotene
E161 - Canthaxanthin
E252 - Potassium Nitrate
E270 - Lactic Acid
E304 - Ascorbyl Palmitate
E304 - Ascorbyl Stearate
E322 - Lecithin (may be made from eggs)
E325 - Sodium Lactate
E326 - Potassium Lactate
E327 - Calcium Lactate
E422 - Glycerol/Glycerin
E(430 – 436) - Polyoxyethylenes
E442 - Ammonium Phosphotides
E445 - Glycerol esters of wood resin
E470(a) - Sodium, potassium and calcium salts of fatty acids
E470(b) - Magnesium salts of fatty acids
E471 - Mono- and di-glycerides of fatty acids
E472(a) - Acetic acid esters of mono- and di-glycerides of fatty acids
E472(b) - Lactic acid esters of mono- and di-glycerides of fatty acids
E472(c) - Citric acid esters of mono- and di-glycerides of fatty acids
E472(d) - Tartaric acid esters of mono- and di-glycerides of fatty acids
E472(e) - Mono- and di-acetyl tartaric acid esters of mono- and di-glycerides of fatty acids
E472(f) - Mixed acetic and tartaric acid esters of mono- and di-glycerides of fatty acids
E473 - contains fatty acids
E474 - Sucroglycerides
E475 - Polyglycerol esters of fatty acids
E476 - Polyglycerol esters of polycondensed fatty acids of caster oil
E477 - contains fatty acids
E479(b) - contains fatty acids
E481 - Sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate
E482 - Calcium stearoyl-2-lactylate
E483 - Stearyl tartrate
E(491 – 495) - Sorbitan
E570 - Stearic acid
E585 - Ferrous Lactate
E640 - Glycine and its sodium salt
E920 - L-cysteine and L-cysteine hydrochloride
E1518 - Glycerol

If you are unsure as to whether an additive is of animal origin, get hold of the manufacturer, who will most likely be able to tell you.

For a more extensive list and more information on E Numbers, check out these sites:

www.exploreenumbers.co.uk
www.understandingfoodadditives.org
www.earthways.co.uk

Messenger: Matthew Sent: 3/28/2013 6:00:59 PM

Thanks for the info sister
Bless

1 - 5

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I