Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=508&start_row=1

Dershawitz VS Keyes

1 - 7
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: gideon Sent: 11/27/2004 5:02:11 PM

I gained alot from watching this debate today. Keyes is a Christian doctor and was arguing in support of religion in politics. Dershawitz says he is atheist and was arguing the other side. He is one of the lawyers that defended OJ Simpson.
One thing I noticed is that they were both supporting morality and justice, but they still found a way to disagree because they let the concept of religion come between them.
For me, true religion is doing good and I don't care if one calls himself an atheist or believer or Christian or whatever. It is time that people in the world learn to look beyond labels and focus on the essence of truth. If Keyes and Dershawitz ignore the schism of that label called religion then they would see that they are really both saying the same thing.
The truth of it is that these two me have great honor and respect for eachother. The reason why they honor eachother is that deep inside they both can see that they are both coming from the same place. But what is a shame is that they do not realize their essential similarity on a conscious level, so that they can say it out loud. Instead, due to their ignorance, they end up coming at the topic from different angles and it is so hard for them to reach a concensus.
I think it is the power of the true leaders of the world - the leaders of israel, rasta people - that we are able to see beyond the labels to the essential truth of what things are. That means that we are able to see that Dershawitz and Keyes are really on the same side.
The point I am making in this post is that rasta people have the power and responsiblity (duty and privelege) to teach the world that we are one. If I had been on stage with those men, maybe as moderator, I could have explained from the start that we are not dealing with labels, and the debate would have become a work of agreement instead of difference.
As we go through the world it is our role to get rid of ism schism that divide people. We must learn how to express ourselves, speak many languages, learn how to write, how to speak publicly etc. These things are the means used to spread culture. Rastas should try to get into radio, television, talk shows, talk radio, newspapers, journals, writing books and pamphlets and even talking from on top soap boxes in urban centers.
Culture is spread by these means. We have the knowledge of the true culture, so that knowledge is power. As HIM says power comes with responsibility and those with power have the duty and privelege to advise others of the truth so that the natural culture can spread.
So far I see that rastas use word of mouth to spread the truth, and many have used music. We need to step out into the world in full force and spread the natural culture. Use all means. We need to empower ourselves with money, organization, etc, so that we will be able to use certain means like TV and radio.
Join up.

Messenger: the rock Sent: 11/28/2004 10:07:25 AM

Whats up people one love to you and yours

I wanted to give you my opinion, but let me say that it can be taken one way or another.Its up to the people involved take the information and go were they want to go with it.

I just moved to an area that has all kind of people.(just like most of you live in,or some of you)Some of the people is white some is black some is indian, and others come from around the world to this area, but a lot have been here from birth. All screaming america the beautiful. They all feel one way or the other. Some of the people is rednicks, some of the people is gay, some the people is rasta, some them don't know what they are doing. Point being they agree on one thing, and that is that they are American. All them come from the earth and the earth come from jah.

People all run thier life the way they think they should. The redneck stands hand and hand with the gay and the gay stand hand and hand with the black and the black with the indian. They work and the things that they do for the poor and needy would hopefully out number the negative things that they belive to be in there heart.Cuz i see when the great minds work together know matter what they do its going to be worked out one way or another.

Were i live there is so much to be seen. Its more then me wanting to get people to work together and feed the needy, I do think that you are right about rasta people needing to work through to reach people in more effective manner.But no matter what you or i say it all come down to the people that hear the massage and what they want to do with it.
I know that Marcus Garvey, Malcom X, Howie P Nuten, Bob Marley, and people of that caliber used the t.v and other things of mass media to bring there massage through. And in the end what mattered is what the people do with the massage that has been said,or put forth.

I was watching the Jimmy Cliff movie "The Harder They Come". The message of the movie gave a good understanding of what the people was dealing with from the people jumping in the trash for food all the way up to the upper class lady that wouldnt give the change, the shady record companies and the divide and conquer tactics that was used to seperate the workers, the weed growers, and the police. In the end of the movie Cliffs character is betrayed by his own woman that tells the authorities were he is at.

I know that alot of the things that i see you posting are very well put and that must have came from a strong origin (family school,youself). And what you do with the great talent that you have will be seen. Every thing under the sun is not folly, would you agree?(but it has been done) Like you said everything has its reason for being.

onelove

Messenger: gideon Sent: 11/28/2004 4:17:41 PM

Love takes time. Step by step we shall move forward. My intention is not to tell people that they are not doing what they need to be doing, I don't deal with that. My intention is to tell people that as we move forward we need to take up our power to encourage others to move in a positive direction.
I want to encourage rasta people because many times we want to separate ourselves from the rest of the world just because we have heard the words or His Majesty. Some of us refuse to talk to people because we are unable to recognize that we are one even with cops, politicians, lawyers etc.
Something that I am always repeating on this site is that we need to learn better how to teach, how to approach people so that they are able to take in what we have to show them. This conception of rasta/baldhead is division if we allow it to stop us from approaching people on a level that they can appreciate. Remember, teaching is not about the teacher, it is about the student. It is all about reaching the mind of the person you are talking to, and division is not the way that happens. It is unity. We reach out to people by seeing that they are the same as us and their thinking is the same as ours in some way.

Messenger: the rock Sent: 11/28/2004 4:31:13 PM

true we must have unity that is key(understanding)

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 12/1/2004 1:12:59 AM

I don't separate people as RasTafarI or babylon. Jah people come in many different forms. I look at the person for who they are individually.

But I do realize and see that not all will turn to Jah and not all have any desire to turn to Jah. There is a reason that Revelation speak "let the filthy be filthy still"

I speak to who Jah sends I to and who Jah sends to I, no matter what culture or religion.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: gideon Sent: 12/1/2004 8:02:32 AM

'But I do realize and see that not all will turn to Jah and not all have any desire to turn to Jah. There is a reason that Revelation speak "let the filthy be filthy still".'

Exactly what I am saying is the opposite of this claim. I do have faith that ALL men in their hearts love Jah. Many are filthy and will remain filthy until their flesh dies. But I believe that this means that their life is not over. They will be clean one day, just as their hearts are already clean.
You will find many scriptures that say that some men are evil, but I will always interpret it as saying that they are evil in their ways and thoughts but not in their essence.
Consider the scriptures that say that God is the God of all men. Those who neglect to serve him are committing adultery, the bible says, because he IS their God. What does it mean when God is your God? It can only mean that your soul loves him and honours him. Whatever the actions of a person I will always say that they love God in their hearts, but they get confused sometimes and do evil (as I said in the other post, not scientific use of the word "evil").
Ark and others who agree with his thinking, please let us examine any scriptures we claim to be scriptures and let us examine creation and common sense and discuss the evidence. Are all men good and loving God in their hearts, or are some men evil?
My tradition that I follow, which I say is the original tradition, is that ALL people are God's children and love him in their hearts. I am a warrior for truth, and my first priority is to teach this foundation truth to the world and destroy the false teaching of division that claims that some men are evil in their hearts. Let the enemies of truth be confounded. Let righteousness cover the earth like water covers the sea.
Join up.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 12/6/2004 11:33:30 PM

Gideon, you said,
--------------
You will find many scriptures that say that some men are evil, but I will always interpret it as saying that they are evil in their ways and thoughts but not in their essence.
--------------

I would agree that nobody was Created evil, but a person's ways and thoughts make up their character and is who they are. What is on the inside must come out, whether good or evil. The scriptures can't be used as a comparison in this discussion if you choose to interpret it differently then it is written. We can bring up scripture after scripture and they will be saying two different things.

I see what the I is saying when you reason about people essentially being good. And I have shown the I how I see it. Only time will tell what is true. To I the season of turning the wicked towards Jah is over, Christ warned the people, and Selassie I brought the final judgement, opening the seals for the next season. There are many people that are dealing with wickedness, but still can hear the call when their time comes. But some will not change, this is the Armageddion season. So I trust in Jah to show I when to speak and when to hold I tongue, because there are too many Ones that are chosen to hear the words of Jah for I to waste I time casting pearls to swine.

The fruit must grow, the water must flow. A farmer sows his seeds in healthy ground, because when harvest time comes, every seed wasted becomes nothing useful for the farmer. But the seeds grown in the fertile groung brings forth multiple fruits.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

1 - 7

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I