Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=501&start_row=1

Rastafari/Hindu?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 33
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 11/22/2004 3:11:54 AM

I seen a great deal of reports of rastafari beings similar to Hindu because of the smoking of ganja. This is ridiculous. So many of the worlds religions have used marijuana as a sacramental flower. Do they just do that to make us sound pagan or is this a lack of marijuana research. Marijuana has been with man since the very begining.

Hail Selassie
Ras Zion I

Messenger: SisMenenI Sent: 11/22/2004 4:36:19 AM

They will continue to study InI...

Messenger: RasEli Sent: 11/22/2004 11:23:50 AM

Dont be so cocky, this is reasoning, it tis true Hindu similar to InI but only in certain areas. Possibly them smoke ganja too, they also have diets. The Hindu are very much known to have similar reasonings.

Ras ElI

Messenger: Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I Sent: 11/22/2004 11:37:05 AM

Israelites also used the Isence! Man from beginning was allowed to burn it higher high. Even the early christians had Ganja ingredient for their insences.

Selah

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 11/22/2004 1:42:34 PM

Thats right they did use it, kaneh bosm. But they just happened to forget that part I guess. I mean the lack of information that is being spread about Rastafari is a stumbling block for those seeking true and farther enlightenment. I'm sure that some of our reasonings would also be similar to Native Americans, Zen, and others. Why wouldn't they be. I just wish people would take the time that is required to overstand these things. The fact is that all of the following- Christianity, Judaism, Islam, are all loaded with little bits of pagan religion. I mean water has been used as a symbol for rebirth and pureness in several sects including the Essene, which is where baptizism comes into play.

Ras Zion I

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 11/22/2004 10:51:51 PM

There are similarities and differences between RasTafarI and Hindu. The I shouldn't let other people's comparisons trouble the I. Don't be afraid of other people's religions. Deal with truth and the I will only accept the Truth from others. If they deal with something that the I doesn't see as right, then don't accept it and the I will Itinue to deal with Truth. I and I are going forward and babylon will be behind us.

RasTafarI say,

Today more than ever before man realizes the bond of unity that exists within the race; he is endeavouring to employ the accumulated knowledge and wisdom of the ages. He is employing modern science and technology; he is reaping the benefits, however limited, of political and economic unity; and to that extent, he is transcending the age-old barriers that have divided the race so long and is endeavouring to reflect on the welfare not only of himself and his immediate neighbour but also on the welfare of all the human race. This endeavour is in harmony with the spirit of the mystics of ages gone by "...in the mystic traditions of the different religions we have a remarkable unity of the spirit. Whatever religions they may profess they are spiritual kinsmen. While the different religions in their historical forms bind us to limited groups and militate against the development of loyalty to the world community, the mystics have always stood for the fellowship of humanity," so Your Excellency(Radhakrishan of India) has taught us. And in an effort to carry out this teaching to pursue truth - to promote those bonds common to the human race - Your Excellency has dedicated your whole life. To free the human race from superstition and fear that originate from ignorance; to enable him to transcend the apparent obstacles of race and religion; and to help him recognize the blood-ties of the whole human race, Your Excellency has laboured. To this generation, so tormented between modern knowledge and ancient faith, your scrupulous studies have pointed the way by which man may be saved from traditional superstition and modern scepticism.

Radhakrishan Receives Degree From H.S.I.U.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: RasEli Sent: 11/29/2004 9:47:14 AM

The Sahdu of the Hindu religion live as if they were Christ. The give up all belongings, and assests such as homes and land. The walk the earth depending on themselves and the goodness of other people to help them if they may need a meal or shelter in bad weather. Sahdu means holy man, they grow long dreadlocks just like us I's. Dont downpress the Hindu for they are people with good morals and self-restrictions.

Ras ElI

Messenger: GreenEye Sent: 11/29/2004 10:21:41 AM

Greetings I,
NEVER forget roots of InI movement.
And, yes, at the beginning the Rastafari movement was influenced by hindus working in jamaica.
They brought the herb and several cultural Relicts that still belong to InI movement. First Rastas did not grow dreads. They had long beards but short hear. Slowly the dreadlock thing became a kind of fashion, so more and more started to grow dem. But before Rastas weared dem, Hindus- like for example the burrus- did!
Give Respect to dem! In fact the hindus do nuh think so much different to InI, like some Is in here seem to think.

stay Irie....

selah

Messenger: RasEli Sent: 11/29/2004 2:35:27 PM

Yes they did have locks. The reason some wore the baldhead is because the Jamaican government setup roadblocks were they would humilate the lock'd Rasta but shaving his head infront of everyone while saying mean things. Some of the baldheads wouldnt re-grow dreads to show they feel liked their still chained in Babylon.

Ras ElI

Messenger: the rock Sent: 11/30/2004 10:21:38 AM

b.b.c.
Rastafarianism began as the beliefs of four men: Leonard P. Howell, Robert Hinds, H. Archibald Dunkley and Nathanial Hibbert. All were clergymen and all claimed to have had a revelation that the coronation of Haile Selassie signaled that he was the black messiah foretold of in the scriptures who would lead Africans out of Babylon into redemption. Howell was the most outspoken of the group and proclaimed the divinity of Selassie to all that would listen (Clarke 33,1986.) Howell's main goal was the establishment of a community of followers. In 1940 he formed the Pinnacle community in St. Catherine's. This was the first Rastafarian community. One of Howell's early followers was an Indian man remembered only as Laloo. It has been suggested that has influences on Howell may account for some of the similarities between Hinduism and Rastafarianism. Howell preferred to be referred to as Gunggunguru Maragh. The name is a combination of the three Hindi words gyan, wisdom, gun, virtue, and guru, teacher ,or translated to teacher of famed wisdom. Maragh means king (Bishton 105,1986.)
An account of the possible influences of Hindu philosophy on early Rastafarianism thought has been given by Dr. Ajai Mansingh in an article in the July 18, 1982 Daily Gleamer. Dr. Mansingh states that roughly 36,400 indentured servants were brought to Jamaica from India between 1845 and 1910, bringing with them a new religious, cultural, and social outlook. He also hypothesizes that because the Indians had a similar outlook on nature and its forces in terms of faith healings, herbal medicine, and animalism as the Afro-Jamaicans that it sparked an interest in Hindu philosophy. It has also been noted that within the Afro Christian religions there is a great respect given to the"Great Book of Magical Arts, Hindu Magic and Indian Occultism (Bishton 105,1986.)

The Rastafarians like the Hindus believe in a system of reincarnation . Rastas believe that from one birth to another the same spirit persists. Therefore, all the prophets from Jesus to Garvey to Selassie are in a sense the same. This belief is central to the understanding that they, as Africans in exile, are the chosen people- the Israelites of the old testament (Clarke 69,1986.) Dr. Mansingh also reflects on the relationship of Rastafarians to ganja, or marijuana, which was brought to Jamaica by the Indians who had used it for herbal medicine and as a hallucinogen to be used as a meditation aid for centuries. Rastafarians often refer to it Kali- a Hindu goddess whose name means"great black mother whose invoking is usually associated with the lifting of sagging spirits (Bishton 116,1986.)"Also, Reddington (1995) states that"the dreadlocked, ganja-smoking saddhu or wandering ascetic is a well known figure in India, and bands of saddhus often live in Rasta-like camps and smoke marijuana from a formally-blessed communal chalice pipe."The influence of Hinduism on Rastafarianism, though most likely not as significant as the African influences, definitely should not be overlooked when considering the development of the movements ideology.

http://jgohil.typepad.com/desiflavor/2004/01/hindu_philosoph.html

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 33

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I