Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=4998&start_row=1

Critical Fools

1 - 3
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Iman Bo Sent: 1/11/2013 5:40:35 PM

Greetings brethren and sistren,

It has come to I attention that the extent of Babylonian miseducation cannot be underestimated. I have heard people try to criticize HIM Haile Selassie I because of the famines that occurred in Ithiopia during His Reign. No wonder—search Haile Selassie I on the internet and this is what one finds:

"Wollo famine

Famine—mostly in Wollo, north-eastern Ethiopia, as well as in some parts of Tigray—is estimated to have killed 40,000 to 80,000 Ethiopians[10][117] between 1972 and 1974. A BBC News report[118] has cited a 1973 estimate that 200,000 deaths occurred, based on a contemporaneous estimate from the Ethiopian Nutrition Institute. While this figure is still repeated in some texts and media sources, it was an estimate that was later found to be "over-pessimistic".[119] Although the region is infamous for recurrent crop failures and continuous food shortage and starvation risk, this episode was remarkably severe. A 1973 production of the ITV programme The Unknown Famine by Jonathan Dimbleby.[120][121] relied on the unverified estimate of 200,000 dead,[118][122]stimulating a massive influx of aid while at the same time destabilizing Haile Selassie's regime.[117]"

Now, it is true that there were famines in Ethiopia during these times, but to put the blame on the Righteous King is wretched and abysmal. The true causes of these “recurrent crop failures” and “food shortages” were the brutal Fascist invaders of the years prior who dropped mustard gas and other chemical elements on croplands that destroyed soil fertility and can remain in the soil for decades. On top of this, in 1952 Colonel Gamal Abdel Nasser came to power in Egypt and began dam construction projects on the Nile River which brought better irrigation (flood control) and electrical power to Egypt’s people. However, the Aswan High Dam caused an alteration to the Earth’s natural cycles that brought many environmental consequences. Notably, “THE ETHIOPIAN SOIL SUBSIDY CEASED TO ARRIVE AFTER 1963.” This means that the annual floods that naturally bring nutrients to Ethiopian lands did not arrive after 1963 because of people’s greed and ignorance of Jah creation. By 1973 and the time of the “Wollo famine”, the fertility of the soil was severely degraded.
More information on the environmental consequences of the Aswan High Dam of Egypt and other 20th century “developmental progress” can be found in
J.R. McNeil’s Something New Under the Sun

Knowledge is power, the light has been shed!
The Lion of Judah has prevailed!

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 1/11/2013 5:44:55 PM

Yes I,

The wicked defamate I and I character and under-estimate I and I authority.

I and I must spread the Truth so that not all will be deceived.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 1/11/2013 10:53:41 PM

Haile Selassie I taught them everything they needed to know to solve the problems of drought. It is the same as always, people are stiff-necked and don't want to heed the Words of God.

Here is just a small portion of what God taught them:

Forestry - Arbour Day

Saturday, July 19, 1958

The Lion of Judah has prevailed
Haile Selassie I, Elect of God
King of Kings of Ethiopia

This is the third occasion on which We celebrate Arbour Day. As We have stated on previous occasions, the main objective of the development programme which We have adopted for the welfare of Our people is to preserve and augment the wealth derived from our land, and, agriculture being the basis of our economy, to increase the yield of Our soil through maximum utilization.

The forest resources of Our Empire constitute one of the most important elements of the wealth of Our land.

When Our forests are properly conserved, they protect the fertile soil of Ethiopia from erosion; they render the landscape green and beautiful. But when forests are neglected and gradually destroyed, the wealth of Our land is progressively reduced and the country slowly becomes bare and barren.

Wood-cutting is an important source of income for our rural population. But the needlessness of their tree-cutting and their thoughtless misuse of Our timber stands demonstrate clearly that they do not understand the great and far-reaching importance of preserving Our forests.

The uses of trees are many and varied. Groves of trees protect our fields and plantations from being desiccated by the desert winds that blow from neighbouring regions. During the summer months, they provide moisture and shade. If trees are not presently planted to replace those being cut down from time to time, Our constant efforts to conserve and develop the wealth of Our country for the welfare of present and future generations will be rendered ineffective and futile. We are greatly grieved to observe the many thousands of gashas of rich forest land being destroyed every year by reckless timber-cutting, thoughtless forest burning, unregulated forest grazing, and other misuses of Our forest wealth, due to popular ignorance and desire for temporary advantage on the part of Our people.

Afforestation

It is a matter of great concern for Us that the forest wealth which God in His mercy has bestowed upon Our country is thus being continually reduced and wasted. Hence it becomes the duty and obligation of every single Ethiopian to become aware of the tremendous industrial and agricultural advantages to be derived from Our forest resources, and to practise tree-planting, in order that Our hills and planes which have been stripped of their wooded cover may once again be clothed in their green mantle.

The existence or non-existence of forest wealth in a country is one of the most important factors influencing its development and progress. The increasing pace of deforestation and the growing dearth of timber in Ethiopia, caused by unregulated tree-cutting and the failure to replace these by new plantings, give Us occasion for anxiety that a severe economic problem will confront the coming generation. It is essential that steps be taken here and now to stop this wastage and to check this destruction.

In these days when all nations of the world, in recognition of the tremendous importance of forest wealth, have launched intensive programmes for forest conservation and re-forestation, it behoves Our country also to take the appropriate measures to solve this problem.

It is Our wish and Our desire that each and every citizen of Our country follow the example We set on this Arbour Day in planting this tree, and himself plant as many trees as he can, for his own benefit as well as for the benefit of future generations.

Agriculture

Since Ethiopia's economy is predominantly agricultural, agriculture must play a large role in the plans which have been drawn up, at our command, for our empire's development.

It is the duty of all to apply the skill of their minds to the factories, the trading centres and the roads and communications which are also evidence of Ethiopia's prosperity, of Ethiopia's strength.

During the past year (1958) the abrupt cessation of rainfall during the growing season caused considerable damage to Ethiopia's crops. This experience has demonstrated that the rivers of our country should be devoted to irrigation, so that the food needs of our ever growing population will no longer be left at the mercy of the whims and caprices of the elements.

The fruits of the farmer's labour must be enjoyed by him whose toil has produced the crop.

The uses of trees are many and varied. Groves of trees protect our fields and plantations from being desiccated by the desert winds which blow from neighbouring regions During the summer months, they provide moisture and shade. If trees are not presently planted to replace those being cut down from time to time, our constant efforts to conserve and develop the wealth of our country through the welfare of present and future generations will be rendered ineffective and futile.

We are greatly grieved to observe the many thousands of gashas of rich forest land being destroyed every year by reckless timber-cutting, thoughtless forest burning, unregulated forest grazing and other misuses of our forest wealth, due to popular ignorance and desire for temporary advantage on the part of our people.

The existence or non-existence of forest wealth in a country is one of the most important factors influencing its development and progress. The increasing pace of deforestation and the growing dearth of timber in Ethiopia, caused by unregulated tree-cutting and the failure to replace these by new plantings, give us occasion for anxiety that a severe economic problem will confront the coming generation. It is essential that steps be taken here and now to stop this wastage and check this destruction.

In these days when all nations of the world, in recognition of the tremendous importance of forest wealth, have launched intensive programmes for forest conservation and re-forestation, it behoves our county also to take the appropriate measures to solve this problem.

It is our wish and our desire that each and every citizen of our country follow the example we set on this Arbour Day in planting this tree, and himself plant as many trees as he can, for his own benefit as well as for the benefit of future generations.

Without agricultural expansion, industrial growth is impossible. Great strides, it is true, have been made in introducing industries into Ethiopia in recent years. But in any less-developed agrarian country possessing only limited possibilities for selling the products of its factories in world export markets, industry can grow only if there exists an increasingly prosperous rural consumer population. Industrialisation is not an alternative to the development of agriculture; rather, the development of agriculture is the essential pre-condition to the growth of industry.

Measures will shortly be proposed to Parliament for action to be taken to preserve, for the benefit of present and future generations, the nation's forests which are not only valuable in themselves as a source of wood, but act as nature's guardian against the forces of erosion, which, unchecked, can transform fertile areas into barren and sterile desert.

Irrigation

Sunday, November 02, 1958

We trust that the Agricultural College at Alem Maya, which We inaugurated last January, and the Agricultural Technical School at Jimma, will greatly assist in the introduction of modern agricultural methods into Our country. The shortage of arable land for the production of foodstuffs for Our people in Eritrea has caused Us to initiate a study for the damming of the Zula River for irrigation purposes. This Study has now been completed and bids have been requested for the construction of the project. This under taking should prove of immense value to Our people in Eritrea, for in addition to providing employment for many of them, it will also, We hope, instruct them in the manifold benefits of co-operation and unity in holding property in common and working together for its development and utilisation.

1 - 3

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I