Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=4886&start_row=1

Non natty dreads

1 - 1011 - 14
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Rileysterman Sent: 9/13/2012 8:42:08 PM

I got my locks done by back combining em' an'i was wonder if I should cut them off or leave em'

Jah bless

Messenger: Nazarite_I Sent: 9/14/2012 1:20:58 PM

Perhaps the I would benefit from hearing I story about this, because there was a time when I did the same as the I and put locks on I head through the use of backcombing and wax. At the time, I didn't know what RastafarI was. I didn't know what the Nazarine vow was and I didn't know anything about locks other than that they were a hairstyle, and I already hated having I hair cut, so it kind of made sense to I. I tried growing them naturally, but I mother cut them out when they started to form at the back, so I took the little bathroom locks onto I head and just left them.
As I got older with the locks people started to put the label of Rasta onto I and because I didn't know any better I played into it a little bit, because by that point I kind of liked smoking weed too. But RastafarI was only something I was vaguely aware of through music and from studying Benjamin Zephaniah's poetry in school. So I did a little research and I got I hands on a book of Haile Selassie I's speeches and read it cover to cover. From that, it was like something had exploded in I head and for a while I couldn't even handle it and I went crazy trying to get away from the fact, following every distraction possible to try and distance Iself from it, even though all along I couldn't cut the locks or stop Iself gravitating towards RastafarI but causing Iself plenty of problems and tribulations in the meantime. After a while, those little bits backcombed and stuck together with wax all fell out and turned loose at the end of some clean and thick locks. But locks aren't the point, so in I mind I had to confront everything that had led I to that point. The vanity that made I bow and take the bathroom locks, the stupid things I had done while calling Iself Rasta, everything that the Most High could call I out for. Remember that when I and I rally round H.I.M, it is His standards I and I are judged by, so if Ones and Ones take on the locks and so take on that symbol of a covenant with the Most High, but don't live up to it, then Judgement will fulfil until such time as I and I can master I and Iselves and manifest Righteousness.
So I and I situation is like if I and I had signed up in Haile Selassie I's army and He's seen that I and I are a bit foolish and inpaitient and maybe a bit ignorant. So when the first battle comes, He throws I and I into the thick of it to show I and I that it's sink or swim, life or death.
It's not pleasant, I'm not going to lie to the I, but that's the reality and the I will have to grow into the locks as the I grows into the Iself if that makes sense.

Blessed love

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 9/14/2012 8:24:31 PM

Yes I Nazarite I,

I and I are Souljahs in Jah Army, the Trod is a serious thing.

Messenger: Rileysterman Sent: 9/25/2012 12:16:04 AM

So I and I need to grow into my locks not further harm I hair

Messenger: Jah Bull Sent: 9/28/2012 3:31:41 PM

Blessed love me bredrin, i and i believe in a neglect way of growing dreads seen, bu me no disrespect, me say please dont cut dem. Nuff Respect Jah Bull say dat have no doubts seen.

One Love

Messenger: KIDDIS-ABABA Sent: 10/14/2012 4:58:40 PM

GREETINGS IN THE NAME OF THE MOST HIGH JAH RASTAFARI ..

MESSAGE FROM THE EMPEROR JAHZERA YACOB O YEHOSHUA OUR MESSIAH!!

THREE WEEKS TO TRIM...

U DONT HAVE TO DREAD TO RASTA THIS IS NOT A DREAD LOCKS TING..

DONT AGREE,, TURN TO YOUR BIBLE .. NUMBERS CHAPTER 6

JAH BLESS

Messenger: ironlion57 Sent: 10/17/2012 2:40:30 PM

I had a similar experience. When I was in high school, I put my hair into locks with backcombing and at first I was just doing it for the hairstyle, I didn’t know anything about rastafari before that, I had never even really heard the word before, but slowly the knowledge of rasta started to come to me, but my mother made me cut it off, and I forgot about it after a while but about 4 years ago, I came to a point in my life where I was tired of what I now call Babylon and downpressors, I wanted to get away from sin and give my life to god, I was in the hospital and reasoned with a black girl that worked there, and I told her I wanted locks, so she spent her work breaks braiding my hair in singles. I wasn’t tryin to get into rastafari, I had already forgotten what it was. and didn’t know how ppl with natty dreads got there hair to be that way, I just let them grow I didn’t think about it. But the more my hair locked the more jah reveled to me (kinda reminds me of Samson, the power is in my hair) the next thing I knew my hair was natty and dread and jah was in my life deeper than even, it has been a journey I will never forget

Messenger: ironlion57 Sent: 10/17/2012 2:40:33 PM

I had a similar experience. When I was in high school, I put my hair into locks with backcombing and at first I was just doing it for the hairstyle, I didn’t know anything about rastafari before that, I had never even really heard the word before, but slowly the knowledge of rasta started to come to me, but my mother made me cut it off, and I forgot about it after a while but about 4 years ago, I came to a point in my life where I was tired of what I now call Babylon and downpressors, I wanted to get away from sin and give my life to god, I was in the hospital and reasoned with a black girl that worked there, and I told her I wanted locks, so she spent her work breaks braiding my hair in singles. I wasn’t tryin to get into rastafari, I had already forgotten what it was. and didn’t know how ppl with natty dreads got there hair to be that way, I just let them grow I didn’t think about it. But the more my hair locked the more jah reveled to me (kinda reminds me of Samson, the power is in my hair) the next thing I knew my hair was natty and dread and jah was in my life deeper than even, it has been a journey I will never forget

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 10/17/2012 7:55:24 PM

A Idrens Quote:

"one thing that i have learned from my elders and from different readings is that the locks is like a tree or like the mane of a lion. The tree has some leafs that are eaten away by caterpillars and many other bugs and things like that. its bark might even be carved into and it might be slightly “scarred”. still, the tree stands strong and grows tall and provides many different living things with a home as well as oxygen for the earth. the lion may get dirt and things such as this in his hair. the lion is still king of africa, strong and filled with pride. he is a mighty beast that protects his tribe until death. his mane is a symbol of this power. to cut that, would take away much of his strength.

peace and love…worry not."

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 10/17/2012 8:07:45 PM

The nazarine vow says no razor upon head, I had A huge dread at mack of head like 12 inches wide, it was like a uncomfortable pillow, I had to do something but would not break my vow, on night I grabbed that knot and ripped it into several smaller dreads, the several dread came apart like they wanted to.

Also I have come to reconsider the nazarine vow I took many years ago and now feel its more of an innitiation into a covanent with JAH, the important things in the vow is these three thing
1.) conscious of what I eat and ingest
2.)conscious of who I assosiate and dwell around
3.)and conscious of what I wear, appearance

The locks are not important, but loving is important and natural, naturality loves INI and INI love nature and the locks express this, to care for the creation and its creatures is important, INI care for creation and nurture it and cultivate the earth and our hair,and in return it feeds and nurtures INI, the hair is jst a small part of all it. Take care of the hair , nature, clean hands and a pure heart, cultivate truth and purity, thanks and praises.

its a good thing ganja and dreadlocks and reggae lead people to Rastafari. Their King. JAH. Jah works in mysterious ways bringing grace and reveling the truth of our true spiritual selves.

1 - 1011 - 14

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I