Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=4834&start_row=11

where did locks originate?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 29
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: chica Sent: 8/24/2012 3:21:23 PM

Ark I, Nazarite I, brothers, thank you for sharing these experiences. They do much to encourage those facing this issue of acceptance of their dread locks. My friend did lose her job, but she refused to cut her dreads, and I shared these stories with her. She smiled and said she knew she made the right choice, and this was her confirmation. I now realize how blessed I am that my dreads have never been an issue at my place of employment. Jah has blessed me to have a boss who is very respectful of others. So when my friend told me of her experience, I thought she was joking at first.

Messenger: JosephI Sent: 8/28/2012 1:09:52 PM

Greetings.
These sort of stories though plenty, are less frequent than they used to be. I began to locks up whilst in employment in 1991, before being made redundant in 1994. It then took 4 years before I found work. During those 4 years, I had determined that the system can only be changed by way of infiltration and resigned myself to looking for work in the housing or social work sector. I was employed by a company in the private sector who are jewish owned and thus respect my locks and what they say about I. I have never to this day been asked to trim. Although I vowed not to trim, whilst I was searching, it turned out that attitude was the key. Being humble and respectful was far more important to the employer than appearance, once merit alone was determined. I see nuff dread out deh a work 9-5,in all sectors including self employed. At my GP's practice surgery...3 out of 5 doctors wear locks. The I can do whatever the I set out to.

Love Up.

Messenger: VictimofAggression Sent: 8/28/2012 3:53:43 PM

THIS IS A HUMAN RIGHTS ISSUE.

QEDAMAWI HAILE SELLASSIE LIVES.

Messenger: Nazarite_I Sent: 8/28/2012 4:26:34 PM

Joseph I, I think because the I is older and has been in employment from before the I decided to take up locks, there is perhaps a greater acceptance of the I.
In this time, if youths are looking to go into first time employment, they are handicapped from the start just from being young and never having had employment experience before, since it costs business to train new recruits. I don't know about where the I is, but here in England there is also the problem that babylon puts out a negative perception of youths in general, so I and I Rasta youths who carry the locks are especially demonised in the eyes of many in a position to employ because I and I don't look like the 'good young people' and they associate locks with ganja smoking, they really don't give I and I a fair chance, if they give I and I a chance at all.
Obviously there are a few people out there who would employ Rasta youths, but with 20 or more people applying to every available job, and half of them being older people recently made redundant with career experience, I and I as youths really are struggling when it comes to employment.

Blessed love

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 8/28/2012 4:43:17 PM

Greetings in the Ivine name of H.I.M.I yuteman also at college and searching for an industrial attachmant but not have had any raspond from all the industry I have applied and if we are not 2 then I man is the only I not yet attached and the I due dat has already come its this monthend.I locks are only a year old and I still remember I classmates used to make fun of I.Now some of I relatives and classmates think Rastaman has no ambition in life,so dem think that I locks are the trouble causer of I not getting an attachmant but I give thanks that there was no place where they asked I to trim.I man know Jah has not deserted I and He will provide at the right time.bless

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 9/20/2012 11:35:26 AM

Truthful bro Nazerite I. What de I seh hepens in many places ina Africa. Bro Zion Mountain, dem may not be telin de I to cut de locks because dem want nothing to do with de I because of de locks. Dem may have made up deir minds dat dem won't deal with de I with locks so dat could be why dem don't even bother to tell de I to cut. De issue of de locks may be an easy trod fo some but it realy is a hard road to travel fo some idrens some iwa. Babylon is always tryin to suppress those who don't carry de mark of de beast. Dats why dem deny employment to idrens with locks. De gorvenments ina Africa are bein used by de beast. Dats why dem are promoting hair perming, baldism n circumcision among black people. Natty dread rise now n be ready fo de amagidion. Bless my God.

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 9/20/2012 11:52:53 PM

Q. where did the locks originate?

A. One the heads of humans

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 9/20/2012 11:55:27 PM

babylon wanna cut dreadlocks of the earth like babylon wanna cut down forests of the earth like babylon wanna put the light of the world and kill the seed befor it grows

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/18/2014 8:38:50 AM

THE EARLIEST DEPICTION OF LOCKS ARE NOT INDIA, NOR JAMAICA, BUT IN AFRICA (WHERE ELSE)

RASTA GET LOCKS FROM THEIR INCIENT CONNECTION, AND RASPONSE TO THE MAU MAU UPRISING IN AFRICA.

I would also argue that matted hair and dreadlocks are not the same.

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 5/18/2014 9:50:29 PM

Don't kno if dey had exposure in d West but I blee d Baye Fall of Senegal were dreaded up (N'diange or strong hair) in d late 1800s. I pretty sure summa us anscestor nem were locks man by time dem boat reach cha.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 29

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I