Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=4827&start_row=1

H.I.M Haile Selassie I's sense of humour

1 - 1011 - 2021
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Nazarite_I Sent: 8/16/2012 11:32:33 AM

Recently I've been reading a book called 'A Glimpse of Greatness. Emperor Haile Selassie I: The Person' written by a man called Abebe Ambatchew. He met His Majesty frequently as a youth and worked closely with the Emperor for some time as an adult.
One of the things I have found most joyful about reading this book is the insight into the humour of Haile Selassie I. I have met some people who knew His Majesty in flesh and read many things written about Him by people who worked with Him, but never before have I come accross stories like these.
I know plenty of Rasta people go on about how RastafarI is a serious thing and no joke, and that is no word of a lie, but let I and I never forget that laughter and joy are a human right.

In spirit of that, let I bring forward some of the stories from this book:

The Emperor's frequent presence in school athletic meets and sporting events, before the expansion of schools made it impossible, were looked at as fatherly and encouraging. Each visit generated considerable talk and students compared notes about what "shime" (the Old Man had said to whom. One such light moment was a memorable exchange between the Emperor and a friend during one of the Emperor's visits to the then University College of Addis Ababa. The Emperor stopped at our dinner table and started a convosation with a friend who was enjoying his bowl of lentil soup.
"What are you eating?" the Emperor asked with a faint smile
"I am having lentil soup," replied the friend nervously.
"What use do lentils have for the body?"
"They have vitamins."
"What other benefits do they have?" the Emperor went on, with a broadening smile.
"I think they have vitamins," our friend repeated with discomfort.
"Is that all?" the Emperor persisted
"They make one stronger," my friend responded visibly embarressed.
He had suddenly realised what the Emperor was after. He knew the answer, but he could not say it. All of us at the table understood the situation, and enjoyed having fun at the expense of our friend. The Emperor moved on, laughing heartily, and knowing full well that all of us knew the answer. Though our friend was too embarressed to say it, Ethiopians believe that lentils make men very virile. As soon as he left our table, the question the Emperor asked was immediately passed on to the next table and then to the next etc. The sound of laughter rippled round the hall.

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 8/16/2012 11:40:35 AM

Good to know Selassie I has a sense of humour.

Messenger: Nazarite_I Sent: 8/16/2012 11:59:13 AM

And a next story too. Blessed love:

A few days before a trip to the Nobel Prize Cermony, I had to see the Emperor, as is customary, before my departure. I was asked to be present at the Ghion Hotel grounds. The Emperor frequently went there after five o'clock to visit the horses housed in a stable on the hotel grounds.
I saw Him come from the adjoining Jubilee Palace to the hotel grounds, walking briskly and with a fairly large entourage. He was talking business with two officials and, when they finished, I was presented. He asked what the program looked like and what my expectations were. I stressed that, since the Prize Trust was a new organisation with basically the same broad purpose of recognising excellence, I should learn a lot that could be useful to our work.
As I was offering my comments, I saw an assorted pack of animals rushing straight at the Emperor. I thought they were about to run Him over so I instinctively raised a file folder that I was holding, and using it as a stick, started to steer them away from Him. I heard Him say from behind me, amused and laughing, "It is alright! Leave them alone!"
To my surprise, the security and all others present did not move an inch but watched my actions with amusement. They have seen this eager rush of the animals before. I moved back and watched the animals crowd the Emperor, some of them were nudging him. Palace employees came quickly with a tray of green chickpeas and other green feed, which the Emperor gave to the animals. He was happily responding to their earnestness to take food from His hands. He scolded the over-zealous and fairly distributed some to each.
At one point, he started looking around and asked, "Where is the donkey?" Some one pointed out that is was coming, and we all looked at the direction that he pointed. A limping donkey was approaching as fast as it could. The Emperor walked towards the donkey with the chickpeas, gently touched its head, and started feeding it.
I learned that he had bought the donkey from a farmer who had heavily loaded it with produce that he was taking to the market. The Emperor, upon seeing the handicapped donkey struggling with the load, stopped his car, paid for the donkey and they load, and had the donkey transported to His palace.
He then moved towards the horses' stable, where he again recieved a warm welcome from the horses that started neighing and making loud noises. They recognised Him, as well as the special treat they knew he brought.
After my competition from the animal kingdon was over, the rather informal audience ended, and I took my leave. My attempts to show my valour and protect the Emperor from a great stampede had ended without national attention.

Messenger: Warrior Dove Sent: 8/16/2012 2:34:38 PM

Thank you for the stories bredren. I had read on this forum that one of the legends about H.I.M. was that H.I.M. could speak with animals. I have seen many pictues of Selassie with animals, in some of these pictures it looks like that animals are laughing or smiling. There is one such picture of Selassie with an elephant and I can't help but think the elephant is laughing in the photo, Selassie too looks like HE's laughing. Did they share a joke? The story of the stampede made Iself laugh and the mentioning of the donkey shows the Iver-Loving Heart of H.I.M.

Thanks again bredren,
I much enjoy the stories of Haile Selassie,
Blessed Love

Messenger: Nazarite_I Sent: 8/16/2012 2:52:00 PM

That is no legend Idren.

Animals have their own languages, and there is nothing to stop I and I from 'speaking' them. From very young I've known that cats for example speak with their eyes and noses. I and I can communicate with them through using the same 'language'. Next time the I runs accross a cat and it is startled by the I, hold its eyes and slowly close and open the I's eyelids a few times, and the I will see how the animal relaxes, because that is how cats communicate non-threatening behaviour. The I might even try getting close and touching noses with it. That is how they greet one another. From that point on, the cat will know the I as a friend.
Sit down and listen to the birds singing, and the I will realise they they aren't singing at all, but speaking to one another. So I am not surprised that I Idren can whistle to the robins and get a response from them.
Just today I saw some footage of two related gorrilas who hadn't seen eachother for years meeting again in a zoo, and they greet eachother Idren, no word of a lie. I could see the joy and recognition on their faces as they hugged eachother up and played.

Since His Majesty could speak many languages of man, it is not a shock to I that he also speaks to the animals, because I and I all know He loves them as much as He loves I and I.

Blessed love

Messenger: Warrior Dove Sent: 8/16/2012 3:21:41 PM

Maybe legend wasn't the right choice of word, rather I should have said, "one of H.I.M.'s many attributes is that he could speak with animals." Yes-I, they all have their languages and if we study the animals we can learn to speak those languages as well.

He has the All of Ireation in His Heart.
Jah is Love. If we know not love, we know not Jah.
Jah Love!

Messenger: Nazarite_I Sent: 8/16/2012 4:54:11 PM

Another story since I've been rained in all day with this book. I have to laugh when I hear about people trying to test His Majesty in ways like these. It never goes well for them:

The Emperor liked to go to the Air Force base at Debre Zeyt often and walk around in the compound. He struck up convosations with the cadets and personnel during these relaxed promenades. One afternoon He came across a group of cadets who on seeing him formed a line and saluted him.
"What is your name? Whose son are you?" he asked one of the young cadets who stood at attention third in the lineup, for the cadet stuck a resemblance to some one the Emperor knew.
The cadet gave his name and that of his father, who was a learned individual in religious poetry or the traditional 'qene'. The Emperor knew the father well.
"Your father is well known for his qene. How about you? Let us have some qene from you," the Emperor requested the cadet, who was known among his friends for his humour and jokes.
"Yes I can," he said and threw out a bunch of words freely lumped together. He thought that he could pull a fast one on the Emperor who, unbeknown to the young man, was very familiar with qene. After all, the Emperor had exposure in school and has all his life been hearing the learned extemporize erudite qene at special occasions.
"What! You are a scoundrel!" the Emperor scolded him and walked away without further reaction.
Alden Whitman cites a story of a gentleman who thought the Emperor would not remember him from an earlier encounter. The gentleman had recieved a gift from the Emperor for his service in the war against the Italians. On another occasion when the Emperor was again distributing gifts to a similar group, the man approached the Emperor and claimed he had been overlooked. The Emperor embarressed the individual by telling him that he lied "calling the petitioner by name and citing the exact place, day and hour at which he had been rewarded for bringing a string of mules for the army.

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 8/16/2012 5:36:51 PM

Thanks for posting these stories Nazarite I.

Feel free to post more.

Messenger: Nazarite_I Sent: 8/16/2012 6:42:07 PM

Its too late at night for I to copy out another passage I think, so before I go to rest let I share something of the character of His Majesty I have heard first hand from those who met Him in flesh.

A couple of months ago I was sitting outside Fairfield House waiting for a group of RastafarI people to arrive from London when a car with Belgian plates pulled up and an Ethiopian man and his Belgian wife got out. They were on the way to a wedding but had decided to take a detour to the house on the way because as children they both met His Majesty on multiple occasions, as the man's father was a government official under His Majesty and the wombman was the daughter of a Belgian technical adviser. They were both visibly moved when they arrived and once they had a quiet look around the house, they came out to speak to I.
They told I about how whenever Haile Selassie I entered a room, he would acknowledge the presence of every One, including any animals, and they both described how profoundly personal these greetings felt, no matter how subtle. When He spoke to groups of people, they described how it was like He was speaking to every One in the audience personally, taking time to make eye contact with every One.
When I heard this I couldn't help but smile, because these are things that I had known in Iself about Haile Selassie I for a long time, but to hear it from the mouth of Ones who had seen it with their eyes was a blesssing.
They left fairly quickly after that, but I could tell just from the fact that they had come so far and how passionate they were, that Haile Selassie I had a huge impact on both of them that they are still mindful of today.

Blessed love

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 8/16/2012 10:47:02 PM

Highest of High Jah RasTafarI Haile Selassie I

It is Great to here about I and I Father

1 - 1011 - 2021

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I